Date:

Date:

From: "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>
To: "Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com>
Cc: <pgsql-php@postgresql.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: is this list live?

> yup, just not very active ... :)
>

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Adam Lang wrote:
>

> > Adam Lang
> > Systems Engineer
> > Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> >

> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick:
Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary:
scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Re: is this list live?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Adam Lang wrote:

> As I said to someone else.. subscribed over a month ago and my curiosity
> finally made me check to see if I actually was or not. :)

there are curently 157 ppl subscribed to this list sort of sitting there
quietly ... maybe use of PHP is decreasing? :)

> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer
> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Adam Lang wrote:
>
> > As I said to someone else.. subscribed over a month ago and my curiosity
> > finally made me check to see if I actually was or not. :)
>
> there are curently 157 ppl subscribed to this list sort of sitting there
> quietly ... maybe use of PHP is decreasing? :)

I'm guessing it's more like PHP and PostgreSQL just work so flawlessly
together that noone has anything to say.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: is this list live?

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Or maybe it is so easy no one needs help. :)

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> > As I said to someone else.. subscribed over a month ago and my curiosity
> > finally made me check to see if I actually was or not. :)
>
> there are curently 157 ppl subscribed to this list sort of sitting there
> quietly ... maybe use of PHP is decreasing? :)
>

> > Adam Lang
> > Systems Engineer
> > Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> I'm guessing it's more like PHP and PostgreSQL just work so flawlessly
> together that noone has anything to say.

Actually, I've been having problems installing the PHP-Postgres
interface on a VA Box running Postgres 7.0.2.  I just thought that
nobody was on the list.  SO, let me throw this out there:

1. Postgres was installed from RPM, and PHP4 was built from source
(because RPMs were not available at the time).  The webserver we are
running is Xitami

2. When we tried to build the postgres interface from source, the make
crashes after about 5 minutes, saying that it can't find certain
libraries that are present and in the directory we supplied in the make
command line.

3. When we try to install from RPM, PHP-Postgres wants a library called
pgsql.so.  THis library, as far as I can tell, does not exist in any of
the Postgres sources.

Any thoughts?

                    -Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
   for law firms, small businesses       fax  436-0137
    and non-profit organizations.       pager 338-4078
                                San Francisco

Re: is this list live?

From
Sam Hokin
Date:
Heh, I use PHP/Postgres constantly.  http://www.royalprestige.com and
http://www.madisonsource.com are two examples I wrote, you might like to
add that to your site examples which I vaguely recall existing.  I just
haven't had any Postgres-specific problems to bring up.

However, one BIG issue I'm facing is with revisioning concurrent PHP and
HTML development.  Say one has 5 sites that use the same PHP but have
different HTML design.  How would one apply an update to the PHP on those 5
sites without touching the HTML? It seems almost impossible since the PHP
and HTML are so intertwined, you'd at least have to automatically generate
comments for parsing/replacing.  This seems to be a big, untreated issue in
server-side scripting in general.  Of course, not that many people develop
multiple sites that use the same PHP code with different HTML, but I do.

Not a Postgres question at all, but perhaps some smart people on this list
have some ideas.  I'll probably post it sometime to the php-general list.

At 13:22 10/17/00 -0300, you wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Adam Lang wrote:
>
> > As I said to someone else.. subscribed over a month ago and my curiosity
> > finally made me check to see if I actually was or not. :)
>
>there are curently 157 ppl subscribed to this list sort of sitting there
>quietly ... maybe use of PHP is decreasing? :)

Re: is this list live?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
okay, I can agree with that (note: we do all our development work in
PHP/PostgreSQL, so I'm not putting down HP *grin*)

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Adam Lang wrote:

> Or maybe it is so easy no one needs help. :)
>
> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer
> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Date:
To try to solve that, I try to use include files and functions as much as
possible.  That is, have the HTML of the page wrapped around the function,
and if you need to update any PHP code, update the include file.  Granted it
is not 100% effective, but I think it currently gives the best option (that
I could think of).  Also... I never looked into it in too much detail, but
look into something called FastTemplate... it was mentioned in the Wrox PHP
Programming book.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> add that to your site examples which I vaguely recall existing.  I just
> haven't had any Postgres-specific problems to bring up.
>
> However, one BIG issue I'm facing is with revisioning concurrent PHP and
> HTML development.  Say one has 5 sites that use the same PHP but have
> different HTML design.  How would one apply an update to the PHP on those
5
> sites without touching the HTML? It seems almost impossible since the PHP
> and HTML are so intertwined, you'd at least have to automatically generate
> comments for parsing/replacing.  This seems to be a big, untreated issue
in
> server-side scripting in general.  Of course, not that many people develop
> multiple sites that use the same PHP code with different HTML, but I do.
>
> Not a Postgres question at all, but perhaps some smart people on this list
> have some ideas.  I'll probably post it sometime to the php-general list.
>
> At 13:22 10/17/00 -0300, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Adam Lang wrote:
> >
> > > As I said to someone else.. subscribed over a month ago and my
curiosity
> > > finally made me check to see if I actually was or not. :)
> >
> >there are curently 157 ppl subscribed to this list sort of sitting there
> >quietly ... maybe use of PHP is decreasing? :)

Re: is this list live?

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Can't help you too much.  I had the same sort of problem... my solution was
compile postgres, compile Apache and compile PHP.

Once I eliminated the mix of RPM and compilation, it worked fine..,.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> > I'm guessing it's more like PHP and PostgreSQL just work so flawlessly
> > together that noone has anything to say.
>
> Actually, I've been having problems installing the PHP-Postgres
> interface on a VA Box running Postgres 7.0.2.  I just thought that
> nobody was on the list.  SO, let me throw this out there:
>
> 1. Postgres was installed from RPM, and PHP4 was built from source
> (because RPMs were not available at the time).  The webserver we are
> running is Xitami
>
> 2. When we tried to build the postgres interface from source, the make
> crashes after about 5 minutes, saying that it can't find certain
> libraries that are present and in the directory we supplied in the make
> command line.
>
> 3. When we try to install from RPM, PHP-Postgres wants a library called
> pgsql.so.  THis library, as far as I can tell, does not exist in any of
> the Postgres sources.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> -Josh Berkus
>

> --
> ______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________
>                                         Josh Berkus
>    Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
>     and data management solutions       (415) 436-9166
>    for law firms, small businesses       fax  436-0137
>     and non-profit organizations.       pager 338-4078
>                         San Francisco

Installation problems was Re: is this list live?

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> > I'm guessing it's more like PHP and PostgreSQL just work so flawlessly
> > together that noone has anything to say.
>
> Actually, I've been having problems installing the PHP-Postgres
> interface on a VA Box running Postgres 7.0.2.  I just thought that
> nobody was on the list.  SO, let me throw this out there:
>
> 1. Postgres was installed from RPM, and PHP4 was built from source
> (because RPMs were not available at the time).  The webserver we are
> running is Xitami
>
> 2. When we tried to build the postgres interface from source, the make
> crashes after about 5 minutes, saying that it can't find certain
> libraries that are present and in the directory we supplied in the make
> command line.
>
> 3. When we try to install from RPM, PHP-Postgres wants a library called
> pgsql.so.  THis library, as far as I can tell, does not exist in any of
> the Postgres sources.
>
> Any thoughts?

Not sure right off what a "VA Box" is and I'm not familiar with Xitami,
BUT I may be able to shed some light on things.

In #2 above, it sounds like your OS installation is incomplete or you
have some missing tools required to build PostgreSQL.

Are you installing PostgreSQL from one of our RPMs or from somewhere
else?  If it's one of ours, check with Lamar Owen on this library.  The
only thing I can find that comes close is plpgsql and I doubt that's it.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: Installation problems was Re: is this list live?

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
VA... they sell linux servers.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> > > I'm guessing it's more like PHP and PostgreSQL just work so flawlessly
> > > together that noone has anything to say.
> >
> > Actually, I've been having problems installing the PHP-Postgres
> > interface on a VA Box running Postgres 7.0.2.  I just thought that
> > nobody was on the list.  SO, let me throw this out there:
> >
> > 1. Postgres was installed from RPM, and PHP4 was built from source
> > (because RPMs were not available at the time).  The webserver we are
> > running is Xitami
> >
> > 2. When we tried to build the postgres interface from source, the make
> > crashes after about 5 minutes, saying that it can't find certain
> > libraries that are present and in the directory we supplied in the make
> > command line.
> >
> > 3. When we try to install from RPM, PHP-Postgres wants a library called
> > pgsql.so.  THis library, as far as I can tell, does not exist in any of
> > the Postgres sources.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Not sure right off what a "VA Box" is and I'm not familiar with Xitami,
> BUT I may be able to shed some light on things.
>
> In #2 above, it sounds like your OS installation is incomplete or you
> have some missing tools required to build PostgreSQL.
>
> Are you installing PostgreSQL from one of our RPMs or from somewhere
> else?  If it's one of ours, check with Lamar Owen on this library.  The
> only thing I can find that comes close is plpgsql and I doubt that's it.
>
> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>  128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

[OT] No [PHP] header?

From
"Daryl Chance"
Date:
Seeing the past few mails come through, i'm wondering why
this list doesn't follow the format like the General, Novice,
SQL and I assume the Hackers list with [<listname>].

Just curious.

| Daryl Chance   | I have made this letter longer then |
| Valuedata, LLC | usual because I lacked the time to  |
| Memphis, TN    | make it shorter.   -- Blaise Pascal |

> > > Actually, I've been having problems installing the PHP-Postgres
> > > interface on a VA Box running Postgres 7.0.2.  I just thought that
> > > nobody was on the list.  SO, let me throw this out there:
> > >
> > > 1. Postgres was installed from RPM, and PHP4 was built from source
> > > (because RPMs were not available at the time).  The webserver we are
> > > running is Xitami
> > >
> > > 2. When we tried to build the postgres interface from source, the make
> > > crashes after about 5 minutes, saying that it can't find certain
> > > libraries that are present and in the directory we supplied in the
make
> > > command line.
> > >
> > > 3. When we try to install from RPM, PHP-Postgres wants a library
called
> > > pgsql.so.  THis library, as far as I can tell, does not exist in any
of
> > > the Postgres sources.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Not sure right off what a "VA Box" is and I'm not familiar with Xitami,
> > BUT I may be able to shed some light on things.
> >
> > In #2 above, it sounds like your OS installation is incomplete or you
> > have some missing tools required to build PostgreSQL.
> >
> > Are you installing PostgreSQL from one of our RPMs or from somewhere
> > else?  If it's one of ours, check with Lamar Owen on this library.  The
> > only thing I can find that comes close is plpgsql and I doubt that's it.
> >
> > Vince.
> > --

> > Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com
http://www.pop4.net
> >  128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
> >         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
> >        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: is this list live?

From
Stephen van Egmond
Date:
Sam Hokin (sam@ims.net) wrote:
> However, one BIG issue I'm facing is with revisioning concurrent PHP and
> HTML development.  Say one has 5 sites that use the same PHP but have
> different HTML design.  How would one apply an update to the PHP on those 5
> sites without touching the HTML? It seems almost impossible since the PHP
> and HTML are so intertwined, you'd at least have to automatically generate
> comments for parsing/replacing.  This seems to be a big, untreated issue in
> server-side scripting in general.  Of course, not that many people develop
> multiple sites that use the same PHP code with different HTML, but I do.
>
> Not a Postgres question at all, but perhaps some smart people on this list
> have some ideas.  I'll probably post it sometime to the php-general list.

It's a fairly general problem.  The standard response is to say "keep
HTML out of your libraries", and "try to keep your interfaces stable".

Those are both tough to do.

Many people feel that XSLT is the way of the future.  XSLT stands for
XSL transforms: changing one DTD to another.  If your site's data lives
in XML (or can easily be turned into XML via php, etc), it's pretty
easy to write transformations which render the XML into pages, which
through progressive XSL transforms get navigation and contextual
information slowly piled on (think of slashdot or my-netscape or
scripting.com's little windows of information) until you end up with a
proper XHTML page.

It is not clear how exactly how to do this, how exactly one can avoid
binding too tightly to an XML DTD, the same way you have the problem
right now of tying too tightly to PHP functions.

If at all possible, take a serious look at the lambda function of php -
the ability to dynamically create code and return a reference to a
function.  In order to fully grok its power you might need to read
something like The Structure and Interpreation of Computer Programs, a
classic in computer science, which does all of its cool stuff with
Lisp.

Date:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Adam Lang wrote:

> VA... they sell linux servers.

Oh, Ok.  Are they known for installing the entire OS or do they leave
out the development stuff?  I remember reading not too long ago that
someone isn't putting the development stuff on by default but I don't
recall who.

Vince.

> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer
> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Date:
I don't know specifics about them... just that they had a grossly over
valued IPO. :)

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> Oh, Ok.  Are they known for installing the entire OS or do they leave
> out the development stuff?  I remember reading not too long ago that
> someone isn't putting the development stuff on by default but I don't
> recall who.
>
> Vince.
>

> > Adam Lang
> > Systems Engineer
> > Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Date:
Vince,

> Oh, Ok.  Are they known for installing the entire OS or do they leave
> out the development stuff?  I remember reading not too long ago that
> someone isn't putting the development stuff on by default but I don't
> recall who.

On the 420 (the model I'm using) they leave out a lot of the development
stuff.  It's sold as a workstation.  However, I've been installing the
stuff myself.

I used the RPMs off PostgreSQL.org to install.  I believe that the first
time (this machine had a disk partitioning problem and I had to
re-install everything) I built from source as the RPM's weren't
available, but I'm not really sure.

BTW, Jeff MacDonald at PG-SQL Inc. is working on this (I have a support
contract) but he isn't making much headway so any help is appreciated.

-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
   for law firms, small businesses       fax  436-0137
    and non-profit organizations.       pager 338-4078
                                San Francisco

Re: Installation problems was Re: is this list live?

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Like I said... I had many problems with using RPMs of one program and then
compiling another that is dependent on libraries from the RPM.    If you
can, a compile from scratch of the three apps would almost assuredly solve
your problem.

Date:
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Vince,
>
> > Oh, Ok.  Are they known for installing the entire OS or do they leave
> > out the development stuff?  I remember reading not too long ago that
> > someone isn't putting the development stuff on by default but I don't
> > recall who.
>
> On the 420 (the model I'm using) they leave out a lot of the development
> stuff.  It's sold as a workstation.  However, I've been installing the
> stuff myself.
>
> I used the RPMs off PostgreSQL.org to install.  I believe that the first
> time (this machine had a disk partitioning problem and I had to
> re-install everything) I built from source as the RPM's weren't
> available, but I'm not really sure.
>
> BTW, Jeff MacDonald at PG-SQL Inc. is working on this (I have a support
> contract) but he isn't making much headway so any help is appreciated.

Well I'm sure he's reading/listening so I'll tell you both.

If it were me, what I'd do (aside from using FreeBSD instead of Linux,
but that's another thing) first is find all of the developers RPMs and get
them installed.

Then install PostgreSQL from sources.

Then build and install any and all of the extra packages you want to use
with php (I build imapd, gd and mcrypt - something else too but I can't
think of it off hand).

Since I use apache instead of Xitami I'll give the apache version.

Configure apache with the options you want.

Configure php with all of the options and extra stuff (imapd, etc) and
without mysql.  Make and make install.

If you have all of your development stuff installed correctly, all of
these steps should just flow (except for the occasional build errors
in apache wrt mcrypt.

Lastly, make sure you've added any necessary libraries to either your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or your ldconfig or whatever applies to your OS.

Build hint:  In any directory you run configure in with any extra
switches, create a script file with all of the switches in it.  eg:

#!/bin/sh

./configure \
    --without-mysql \
    --with-apache=../apache_1.3.14 \

... and so on.   Yes, Marc I got that idea from you.  :)

That way if you need to rebuild it you only need to execute the script.

Hope it helps!!

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: is this list live?

From
Dan Wilson
Date:
I've been doing this fairly well for a while now.  I
have two different sites that run off the same PHP
code.

I do it with the following methods.

1) Any HTML output that my PHP code generates is
appended within a single string variable ($strBody).

2) Separate files contain the basic layout and
navigation of the site. Within this file, I output the
string variable and any other dynamic ly generated
text.  If I need any dynamic navigation, then I have a
separate variable to contain the generated HTML and
then echo it in the appropriate location.

3) To more easily handle the look of the HTML
generated by the PHP code, I use style sheets.  Of
course, the use of css is defendant on your users, but
if you don't want to use style sheets, variables
defining your font attributes, etc can be defined in
an include file as well.

I don't know how much of a performance hit I take with
this method, but for the average site on the web, it
shouldn't be too much of a problem.

-Dan

--- Sam Hokin <sam@ims.net> wrote:
> However, one BIG issue I'm facing is with
> revisioning concurrent PHP and
> HTML development.  Say one has 5 sites that use the
> same PHP but have
> different HTML design.  How would one apply an
> update to the PHP on those 5
> sites without touching the HTML? It seems almost
> impossible since the PHP
> and HTML are so intertwined, you'd at least have to
> automatically generate
> comments for parsing/replacing.  This seems to be a
> big, untreated issue in
> server-side scripting in general.  Of course, not
> that many people develop
> multiple sites that use the same PHP code with
> different HTML, but I do.

http://im.yahoo.com/

Re: is this list live?

From
Stephen van Egmond
Date:
Dan's approach reminds me of something I coded up to imitate a cool
feature they have in embperl.

It's so simple, I'll append it here.

The general idea is that you have a template in your document root:

root/_template.php

Which for instance can say things like:

    include ("topnav.php"); ...

    ##PART##

    ... </html>

Obviously, you could have topnav .php right in root, but why not in the
subdirectories alongside the content:

root/foo/topnav.php
root/bar/topnav.php

The actual content pages:

root/foo/content.php
root/bar/content.php

only need to call one function to bring in the whole templating system.
Their topnav will come from the directory that they're in, and they
don't need to do anything except provide their exact functionality.

Usage:

  Put this in every file:
    <? include "templating.h"; template_header(); ?> -- at the top
    <? template_footer(); ?>  -- at the bottom

  Create a _template.html somewhere (perhaps the document root) that
contains at least the string ##PART## .

  Call template_include() when you want to pull in a file located
somewhere between your script and the document root.

<?
function template_header() {
    global $DOCUMENT_ROOT, $SCRIPT_FILENAME;
    global $_template_data, $_template_cut_index, $_template_search_path;

    $root_path = explode('/', $DOCUMENT_ROOT);
    $script_path = explode('/', $SCRIPT_FILENAME);

    for ($i = count($script_path)-1; $i >= count($root_path); $i--) {
        $directory = join('/',array_slice($script_path, 0, $i));
        $_template_search_path[] = $directory;
        if (file_exists($directory.'/_template.php')) {
            $fh  = fopen($directory.'/_template.php', 'r');
            while (!feof($fh)) {
                $_template_data .= fread($fh, 65536);
            }
            $_template_cut_index = strpos($_template_data,'##PART##');
            if ($_template_cut_index == 0) {
                print "Error: there's no ##PART## in $directory/_template.php";
                die;
            }
            eval ('?>'.substr($_template_data, 0, $_template_cut_index-2).'<?');
            return;
        }
    }
    print "didn't find a template<p>";
}

function template_footer() {
    global $_template_data, $_template_cut_index;
    eval ("?>".substr($_template_data, $_template_cut_index+6)."<?");
}

function template_include($file) {
    global $_template_search_path;
    foreach ($_template_search_path as $path) {
        if (file_exists($path.'/'.$file)) {
            include($path.'/'.$file);
            return;
        }