Select performance vs. mssql

From
mark durrant
Date:
Hi,

I have some experience with MSSQL and am examining
PostgreSQL. I'm running under Windows. I like what I
see so far, but I'm hoping for some performance
advice:

1. My test database has 7 million records.
2. There are two columns - an integer and a char
column called Day which has a random value of Mon or
Tues, etc. in it.
3. I made an index on Day.

My query is:

select count(*) from mtable where day='Mon'

Results:

1. P3 600 512MB RAM MSSQL. It takes about 4-5 secs to
run. If I run a few queries and everything is cached,
it is sometimes  just 1 second.

2. Athlon 1.3 Ghz 1GB RAM. PostgreSQL takes 7 seconds.
I have played with the buffers setting and currently
have it at 7500. At 20000 it took over 20 seconds to
run.

5 seconds vs 7 isn't that big of a deal, but 1 second
vs 7 seconds is. Also, the slower performance is with
much lesser hardware.

Any ideas to try?

Thanks much,
Mark

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Select performance vs. mssql

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> select count(*) from mtable where day='Mon'
>
> Results:
>
> 1. P3 600 512MB RAM MSSQL. It takes about 4-5 secs to
> run. If I run a few queries and everything is cached,
> it is sometimes  just 1 second.
>
> 2. Athlon 1.3 Ghz 1GB RAM. PostgreSQL takes 7 seconds.
> I have played with the buffers setting and currently
> have it at 7500. At 20000 it took over 20 seconds to
> run.
>
> 5 seconds vs 7 isn't that big of a deal, but 1 second
> vs 7 seconds is. Also, the slower performance is with
> much lesser hardware.

Post the result of this for us:

explain analyze select count(*) from mtable where day='Mon';

On both machines.

Chris

Date:
> Post the result of this for us:
>
> explain analyze select count(*) from mtable where
> day='Mon';
>
> On both machines.

Hi Chris --

PostgreSQL Machine:
"Aggregate  (cost=140122.56..140122.56 rows=1 width=0)
(actual time=24516.000..24516.000 rows=1 loops=1)"
"  ->  Index Scan using "day" on mtable
(cost=0.00..140035.06 rows=35000 width=0) (actual
time=47.000..21841.000 rows=1166025 loops=1)"
"        Index Cond: ("day" = 'Mon'::bpchar)"
"Total runtime: 24516.000 ms"
(Note this took 24 seconds after fresh reboot, next
execution was 11, and execution without explain
analyze was 6.7 seconds)

MSSQL Machine:
That "Explain Analyze" command doesn't work for MSSQL,
but I did view the Query plan. 97% of it was "Scanning
a particular range of rows from a nonclustered index"

Thanks for your help --Mark

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Select performance vs. mssql

From
Neil Conway
Date:
mark durrant wrote:
> PostgreSQL Machine:
> "Aggregate  (cost=140122.56..140122.56 rows=1 width=0)
> (actual time=24516.000..24516.000 rows=1 loops=1)"
> "  ->  Index Scan using "day" on mtable
> (cost=0.00..140035.06 rows=35000 width=0) (actual
> time=47.000..21841.000 rows=1166025 loops=1)"
> "        Index Cond: ("day" = 'Mon'::bpchar)"
> "Total runtime: 24516.000 ms"

Have you run ANALYZE?

Clustering the table on the "day" index (via the CLUSTER command) would
be worth trying.

-Neil

Re: Select performance vs. mssql

From