Re: [BUGS] PSQL commands not backwards-compatible

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > > Here is a patch that will print out (in interactive mode only) a
> > > warning message if a newer client connects to an older
> major numbered server.
> >
> > Why only older?  It's even less likely to work if the
> server is newer.
> >
> > (I don't agree with the premise to begin with...)
>
> OK, this new patch prints a warning on any major version
> mismatch, newer or older.

I would suggest showing both the client and server versions that
mismatched. If you're in a scenario with several versions on the same
machine of both client and server (hosting scenario, I'd imagine), that
would certainly help.

//Magnus

Re: [BUGS] PSQL commands not backwards-compatible

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: [BUGS] PSQL commands not backwards-compatible

Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
[ There is text before PGP section. ]

> Four years later, people were saying:
>
> >> OK, this new patch prints a warning on any major version
> >> mismatch, newer or older.
> >
> > I would suggest showing both the client and server versions that
> > mismatched. If you're in a scenario with several versions on the same
> > machine of both client and server (hosting scenario, I'd imagine), that
> > would certainly help.
>
> This all seems so familiar somehow... :)
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2001-11/msg00184.php

Yep.  I think the reason it is acceptable now is that the server version
is supplied automatically via the protocol, so we don't need to issue a
query on every psql startup to check it.