Re: [BUGS] PSQL commands not backwards-compatible - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [BUGS] PSQL commands not backwards-compatible
Date
List pgsql-patches
> > > Here is a patch that will print out (in interactive mode only) a
> > > warning message if a newer client connects to an older
> major numbered server.
> >
> > Why only older?  It's even less likely to work if the
> server is newer.
> >
> > (I don't agree with the premise to begin with...)
>
> OK, this new patch prints a warning on any major version
> mismatch, newer or older.

I would suggest showing both the client and server versions that
mismatched. If you're in a scenario with several versions on the same
machine of both client and server (hosting scenario, I'd imagine), that
would certainly help.

//Magnus