add "WITH OIDS" to CREATE TABLE AS

From
Neil Conway
Date:
This patch adds a "WITH / WITHOUT OIDS" clause to CREATE TABLE
AS. This allows the user to explicitly specify whether OIDs should be
included in the newly-created relation (if form of this clause is
specified, the default_with_oids configuration variable is used). This
is useful because it provides a way for application authors to ensure
their applications are compatible with future versions of PostgreSQL
(in which the relation created by CREATE TABLE AS won't include OIDs
by default).

No equivalent functionality has been added to SELECT INTO: there
isn't a convenient syntax for it that I could see, and in any case
CREATE TABLE AS has always offered a superset of the functionality of
SELECT INTO. Therefore, I don't view this as a problem.

The implementation is a tad messy (it would be nice if CREATE TABLE AS
were a distinct node, to avoid needing to clutter up SelectStmt
further). I also needed to add an additional production to avoid a
shift/reduce conflict in the parser (see the XXX note in the patch
itself).

The patch includes updates to the documentation and regression tests.

Unless anyone objects, I plan to apply this within 48 hours.

-Neil

Attachment

Re: add "WITH OIDS" to CREATE TABLE AS

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> This patch adds a "WITH / WITHOUT OIDS" clause to CREATE TABLE
> AS. This allows the user to explicitly specify whether OIDs should be
> included in the newly-created relation (if form of this clause is
> specified, the default_with_oids configuration variable is used). This
> is useful because it provides a way for application authors to ensure
> their applications are compatible with future versions of PostgreSQL
> (in which the relation created by CREATE TABLE AS won't include OIDs
> by default).
>
> No equivalent functionality has been added to SELECT INTO: there
> isn't a convenient syntax for it that I could see, and in any case
> CREATE TABLE AS has always offered a superset of the functionality of
> SELECT INTO. Therefore, I don't view this as a problem.
>
> The implementation is a tad messy (it would be nice if CREATE TABLE AS
> were a distinct node, to avoid needing to clutter up SelectStmt
> further). I also needed to add an additional production to avoid a
> shift/reduce conflict in the parser (see the XXX note in the patch
> itself).
>
> The patch includes updates to the documentation and regression tests.

Does this deal with the fact we now emit WITH/WITHOUT OID in pg_dump?
FYI, that is a must-fix for 7.5 for portability reasons.

Re: add "WITH OIDS" to CREATE TABLE AS

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> No equivalent functionality has been added to SELECT INTO: there
> isn't a convenient syntax for it that I could see, and in any case
> CREATE TABLE AS has always offered a superset of the functionality of
> SELECT INTO. Therefore, I don't view this as a problem.

I agree on that.

> The implementation is a tad messy (it would be nice if CREATE TABLE AS
> were a distinct node, to avoid needing to clutter up SelectStmt
> further).

Yeah, I have been wanting for awhile to redesign the parse
representation of CREATE TABLE AS/SELECT INTO.  It's not obvious exactly
what to do though.

> I also needed to add an additional production to avoid a
> shift/reduce conflict in the parser (see the XXX note in the patch
> itself).

This is a fairly standard way of avoiding conflicts --- looks fine to
me.

One thing that is *not* fine is something that I see had snuck past me
in the previous WITH OIDS patch.  It is not okay for gram.y or scan.l
to be looking at GUC variables --- that creates synchronization issues.
(Consider a single querystring containing a SET followed by something
that depends on the SET value.  The whole string will be parsed before
the SET is applied.)  The references to default_with_oids have to be
postponed to analyze.c's processing.  Compare the way that inhOpt has
an INH_DEFAULT setting --- you probably need the same kind of solution
for the WITH OIDS options.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> Does this deal with the fact we now emit WITH/WITHOUT OID in
> pg_dump?

No, that is an unrelated issue. I took a brief look at implementing
this over the break, but I couldn't see an easy way to do it properly:
if we pick a particular default for the GUC variable and then use SET
to change it when necessary for a particular CREATE TABLE, we could
potentially issue far more SET commands than are needed.

> FYI, that is a must-fix for 7.5 for portability reasons.

(Reasons which I still find pretty unconvincing, but ...)

-Neil

Re: add "WITH OIDS" to CREATE TABLE AS

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> > Does this deal with the fact we now emit WITH/WITHOUT OID in
> > pg_dump?
>
> No, that is an unrelated issue. I took a brief look at implementing
> this over the break, but I couldn't see an easy way to do it properly:
> if we pick a particular default for the GUC variable and then use SET
> to change it when necessary for a particular CREATE TABLE, we could
> potentially issue far more SET commands than are needed.

Couldn't we use SET only when we need to change the existing value?
Isn't that what we do with SET AUTHORIZATION?

> > FYI, that is a must-fix for 7.5 for portability reasons.
>
> (Reasons which I still find pretty unconvincing, but ...)

I understand, but there was general agreement not to add more
incompatibilities to pg_dump.  If it can't be fixed, WITH/WITHOUT OIDS
will need to be removed.

Date:
> Couldn't we use SET only when we need to change the existing value?

I'm not sure what you mean. The pg_dump output will look like:

-- at the top of the dump
SET default_with_oids = false; -- or true, doesn't really matter

-- for a table that doesn't have OIDs
CREATE TABLE (...);

-- for a table that does have OIDs
SET default_with_oids = true;
CREATE TABLE (...);
SET default_with_oids = false;

The point is that in this example if all the tables in the DB have
OIDs, you'll emit two SETs for each CREATE TABLE, so what you'd really
like is to have chosen a different default to begin with.

Anyway, it's just an implementation detail: I'll definitely implement
it one way or another in time for 7.5 (unless someone else would like
to do it, in which case I'd gladly step aside).

-Neil

Date:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> One thing that is *not* fine is something that I see had snuck past
> me in the previous WITH OIDS patch.  It is not okay for gram.y or
> scan.l to be looking at GUC variables --- that creates
> synchronization issues.

Good point (I remember reading gram.y's warning about this, but it
must have slipped my mind...). Attached is a revised patch that
corrects this.

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> > Couldn't we use SET only when we need to change the existing value?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. The pg_dump output will look like:
>
> -- at the top of the dump
> SET default_with_oids = false; -- or true, doesn't really matter
>
> -- for a table that doesn't have OIDs
> CREATE TABLE (...);
>
> -- for a table that does have OIDs
> SET default_with_oids = true;
> CREATE TABLE (...);
> SET default_with_oids = false;
>
> The point is that in this example if all the tables in the DB have
> OIDs, you'll emit two SETs for each CREATE TABLE, so what you'd really
> like is to have chosen a different default to begin with.
>
> Anyway, it's just an implementation detail: I'll definitely implement
> it one way or another in time for 7.5 (unless someone else would like
> to do it, in which case I'd gladly step aside).

I assume we would _remember_ the current with_oids value inside pg_dump.

For example, if I create two tables as user 'guest', I see in pg_dump
output:

    SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION 'guest';

    --
    -- Name: g1; Type: TABLE; Schema: public; Owner: guest
    --

    CREATE TABLE g1 (
        x integer

    --
    -- Name: g2; Type: TABLE; Schema: public; Owner: guest
    --

    CREATE TABLE g2 (
        x integer

    SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION 'postgres';

Notice that only one SESSION AUTHORIZATION is used for guest.  Can't we
do the same for WITH/WITHOUT OIDS?