Re: add "WITH OIDS" to CREATE TABLE AS - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: add "WITH OIDS" to CREATE TABLE AS
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway wrote:
> > Does this deal with the fact we now emit WITH/WITHOUT OID in
> > pg_dump?
>
> No, that is an unrelated issue. I took a brief look at implementing
> this over the break, but I couldn't see an easy way to do it properly:
> if we pick a particular default for the GUC variable and then use SET
> to change it when necessary for a particular CREATE TABLE, we could
> potentially issue far more SET commands than are needed.

Couldn't we use SET only when we need to change the existing value?
Isn't that what we do with SET AUTHORIZATION?

> > FYI, that is a must-fix for 7.5 for portability reasons.
>
> (Reasons which I still find pretty unconvincing, but ...)

I understand, but there was general agreement not to add more
incompatibilities to pg_dump.  If it can't be fixed, WITH/WITHOUT OIDS
will need to be removed.