Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

Attached is the fully corrected version of the re-ording patch for
Runtime.sgml and dependant files.

Can you please expedite applying this?   Since it involves a grand re-ordering
of the file, any successive changes to runtime.sgml need to be merged by
hand.

To see what I'm getting at, the first draft (NOT the final version) of the
HTML version of the file is up at:
http://www.agliodbs.com/runtime/index.html

Thanks!

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Attachment

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Attached is the fully corrected version of the re-ording patch for=20
> Runtime.sgml and dependant files.

Dependent files?  I only see a diff for runtime.sgml there ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
This is the other portion he is referring to.

client-auth.sgml references a renamed ID in runtime.sgml

Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc

Date:

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> Attached is the fully corrected version of the re-ording patch for
> Runtime.sgml and dependant files.
>
> Can you please expedite applying this?   Since it involves a grand re-ordering
> of the file, any successive changes to runtime.sgml need to be merged by
> hand.
>
> To see what I'm getting at, the first draft (NOT the final version) of the
> HTML version of the file is up at:
> http://www.agliodbs.com/runtime/index.html
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

Date:

Rod Taylor wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> This is the other portion he is referring to.
>
> client-auth.sgml references a renamed ID in runtime.sgml
>
> On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 16:46, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > > Attached is the fully corrected version of the re-ording patch for=20
> > > Runtime.sgml and dependant files.
> >
> > Dependent files?  I only see a diff for runtime.sgml there ...
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

> > TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
> >       joining column's datatypes do not match
> --
> Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>
>
> PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc

[ Attachment, skipping... ]
-- End of PGP section, PGP failed!

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

Date:
Patch applied.  Thanks.

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> Attached is the fully corrected version of the re-ording patch for
> Runtime.sgml and dependant files.
>
> Can you please expedite applying this?   Since it involves a grand re-ordering
> of the file, any successive changes to runtime.sgml need to be merged by
> hand.
>
> To see what I'm getting at, the first draft (NOT the final version) of the
> HTML version of the file is up at:
> http://www.agliodbs.com/runtime/index.html
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

Date:
Patch applied.  Thanks.

Rod Taylor wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> This is the other portion he is referring to.
>
> client-auth.sgml references a renamed ID in runtime.sgml
>
> On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 16:46, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > > Attached is the fully corrected version of the re-ording patch for=20
> > > Runtime.sgml and dependant files.
> >
> > Dependent files?  I only see a diff for runtime.sgml there ...
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

> > TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
> >       joining column's datatypes do not match
> --
> Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>
>
> PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc

[ Attachment, skipping... ]
-- End of PGP section, PGP failed!

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> Patch applied.  Thanks.

Great.  'cause I need to patch the patch, due to a cut-and-paste error.  Next
patch coming Friday, much less extensive than this one.

Is the HAS_RENDEZVOUS GUC still coming?   Is there docs for it?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Is the HAS_RENDEZVOUS GUC still coming?   Is there docs for it?

Don't worry about it.  If it gets added, it will be the adder's
responsibility to update the docs too.

(But if you are not happy with the current state of runtime.sgml,
we need fixes for that ASAP.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

> (But if you are not happy with the current state of runtime.sgml,
> we need fixes for that ASAP.)

I just yesterday realized that the STATISTICS section could be profitably
folded into LOGGING and QUERY TUNING.   I will send a second patch tommorrow
if possible.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > Patch applied.  Thanks.
>
> Great.  'cause I need to patch the patch, due to a cut-and-paste error.  Next
> patch coming Friday, much less extensive than this one.
>
> Is the HAS_RENDEZVOUS GUC still coming?   Is there docs for it?

I haven't gotten to it --- it may have to wait for 7.5.

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

Date:
>> Is the HAS_RENDEZVOUS GUC still coming?   Is there docs for it?

> I haven't gotten to it --- it may have to wait for 7.5.

It should be removed from runtime.sgml then.

Also, one of the Red Hat guys pointed out to me that
SHOW_BTREE_BUILD_STATS seems to have crept back into runtime.sgml,
although it was removed during 7.4 development.  Could we have that
out of there in the next patch?

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Is the HAS_RENDEZVOUS GUC still coming?   Is there docs for it?
>
> > I haven't gotten to it --- it may have to wait for 7.5.
>
> It should be removed from runtime.sgml then.
>
> Also, one of the Red Hat guys pointed out to me that
> SHOW_BTREE_BUILD_STATS seems to have crept back into runtime.sgml,
> although it was removed during 7.4 development.  Could we have that
> out of there in the next patch?

Not sure why Rendezvous is in runtime.sgml now --- it is needed only if
you are doing two postmaster, and I will either do it for 7.4 or add it
to TODO.

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

> It should be removed from runtime.sgml then.
>
> Also, one of the Red Hat guys pointed out to me that
> SHOW_BTREE_BUILD_STATS seems to have crept back into runtime.sgml,
> although it was removed during 7.4 development.  Could we have that
> out of there in the next patch?

Will do.  Is SHOW_BTREE gone, or is it just a "Source Developer Option"?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> Also, one of the Red Hat guys pointed out to me that
>> SHOW_BTREE_BUILD_STATS seems to have crept back into runtime.sgml,
>> although it was removed during 7.4 development.  Could we have that
>> out of there in the next patch?

> Will do.  Is SHOW_BTREE gone, or is it just a "Source Developer Option"?

It's gone.  You might want to crosscheck the docs against the CVS-tip
version of guc.c ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

> It's gone.  You might want to crosscheck the docs against the CVS-tip
> version of guc.c ...

Well, I did 2 weeks ago when I started this process.   I'll do it again before
beta.

In the meantime, here's a new patch for runtime.sgml, based on today's CVS:
1) drops SHOW_BTREE
2) drops HAS_RENDEZVOUS
3) Folds the redundant "Statistics" section into Logging and Query Tuning,
depending on the option.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

Attachment

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

I've just discovered that I have some sort of library corruption on this
laptop in my SGML libraries.   So could someone check my SGML with a "make
check" before applying that last patch?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Actually, I've just confirmed that that last patch has some syntax problems.
So please ignore it.   I will send a good patch through Rod to check.

Sorry!  I'll get the hang of this soon, really!

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

OK, this is the checked-by-Rod patch, which should be perfect.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

Attachment

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

> Also, one of the Red Hat guys pointed out to me that
> SHOW_BTREE_BUILD_STATS seems to have crept back into runtime.sgml,
> although it was removed during 7.4 development.  Could we have that
> out of there in the next patch?

Accoring to GUC.c this morning, the option is still there ... it's just been
re-named to "LOG_BTREE_BUILD_STATS".   Is this a mistake in GUC.c, or should
I put it back in Runtime.SGML under the new name?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> Also, one of the Red Hat guys pointed out to me that
>> SHOW_BTREE_BUILD_STATS seems to have crept back into runtime.sgml,
>> although it was removed during 7.4 development.  Could we have that
>> out of there in the next patch?

> Accoring to GUC.c this morning, the option is still there ... it's just been
> re-named to "LOG_BTREE_BUILD_STATS".   Is this a mistake in GUC.c, or should
> I put it back in Runtime.SGML under the new name?

Ah, you are right.  I had confused this with another option that I did
remove during 7.4 devel (fixbtree or something like that).  Yeah, the
correct fix is to document it under Developer Options as
"LOG_BTREE_BUILD_STATS".

            regards, tom lane

Re: Runtime.SGML diff ... please expedite!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

> Ah, you are right.  I had confused this with another option that I did
> remove during 7.4 devel (fixbtree or something like that).  Yeah, the
> correct fix is to document it under Developer Options as
> "LOG_BTREE_BUILD_STATS".

OK, have another (replacement) patch, then.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Attachment