postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Art Fore
Date:
I have postgresql 7.2 installed from the SuSE 8.0 CDROM. Have gone
through the documentation on setting up the database, but when I try to
access either the directory or the database as a user, I get permission
denied.

Since the documentation does not match reality as I guess SuSE
bastardized the installation, If there is anyone one the list who has it
installed and working, could you maybe give me a clue as to how to get
this to operating?

Art

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Ben Prescott
Date:
I'm running suse 8.1, but it can't be that different.

As I recall, the directory is set up for read/write access only by use
'postgres' - you'll need to 'su' to that first. I tried opening it up, and I
think the database then refused to run.

I ran it all from that user. I didn't get very far ... notably because the
machine insisted on freezing given some time alone running postgresql, but I
did get a table built and a perl script inserting a few thousand rows of data.

If that doesn't help, can you post some listings for the directory
properties. I think you'll find the database in /var/lib/pgsql/data.

Apoligies for being vague, all the machines with postgresql installed on are
powered down right now!

regards, Ben.

On Sunday 26 January 2003 17:28, Art Fore wrote:
> I have postgresql 7.2 installed from the SuSE 8.0 CDROM. Have gone
> through the documentation on setting up the database, but when I try to
> access either the directory or the database as a user, I get permission
> denied.
>
> Since the documentation does not match reality as I guess SuSE
> bastardized the installation, If there is anyone one the list who has it
> installed and working, could you maybe give me a clue as to how to get
> this to operating?
>
> Art

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Art Fore
Date:
System is SuSE 8.0 with Postgresql 7.2

When I try to start postgresql with the runlevel editor or rcpostresql
start I get FATAL 1:  File /var/lib/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION is missing.
This is not a valid data directory.

If I try postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &, I get Exit
1.

If I run psql template1, I get psql: could not connect to server: No
such file or directory. Is the server running locally and accepting

Would help if I could find what the errors mean.

What is PG_VERSION that is missing? Where does it come from?

What is Unix domain socket? I am trying to run localhost.

From the SuSE installation, What is the first thing to do? the second?
etc.

What config files do I have to edit and where are they?

As you can see I am lost. Documentation leads me in circles. It would
also help if it was searchable.

Art

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 11:26, Ben Prescott wrote:
> I'm running suse 8.1, but it can't be that different.
>
> As I recall, the directory is set up for read/write access only by use
> 'postgres' - you'll need to 'su' to that first. I tried opening it up, and I
> think the database then refused to run.
>
> I ran it all from that user. I didn't get very far ... notably because the
> machine insisted on freezing given some time alone running postgresql, but I
> did get a table built and a perl script inserting a few thousand rows of data.
>
> If that doesn't help, can you post some listings for the directory
> properties. I think you'll find the database in /var/lib/pgsql/data.
>
> Apoligies for being vague, all the machines with postgresql installed on are
> powered down right now!
>
> regards, Ben.
>
> On Sunday 26 January 2003 17:28, Art Fore wrote:
> > I have postgresql 7.2 installed from the SuSE 8.0 CDROM. Have gone
> > through the documentation on setting up the database, but when I try to
> > access either the directory or the database as a user, I get permission
> > denied.
> >
> > Since the documentation does not match reality as I guess SuSE
> > bastardized the installation, If there is anyone one the list who has it
> > installed and working, could you maybe give me a clue as to how to get
> > this to operating?
> >
> > Art

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Ben Prescott
Date:
Seems most likely it isn't running.

OK ... my checklist (documented 'cos I knew I'd forget it!!)

# ensure /var/lib/pgsql/data is mounted
# switch user
su - postgres
# (verify $PGDATA is accurate)
# not sure what this does :o(
initdb
# start postgresql; eg:
pg_ctl -l /full/path/for/logile start
# or via the script in /etc/init.d

if postegresql isn't running, you'll need to load it into the startup
environment. Yast2 has a runlevel editor. Its under 'system' - fire it up,
and edit the current level. Find the pgsql, select it, and then tick the '3'
and '5' boxes. This will start it whether or not your system boots with X
running.

hth, Ben.

On Sunday 26 January 2003 22:56, Art Fore wrote:
> System is SuSE 8.0 with Postgresql 7.2
>
> When I try to start postgresql with the runlevel editor or rcpostresql
> start I get FATAL 1:  File /var/lib/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION is missing.
> This is not a valid data directory.
>
> If I try postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &, I get Exit
> 1.
>
> If I run psql template1, I get psql: could not connect to server: No
> such file or directory. Is the server running locally and accepting
> connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> Would help if I could find what the errors mean.
>
> What is PG_VERSION that is missing? Where does it come from?
>
> What is Unix domain socket? I am trying to run localhost.
>
> From the SuSE installation, What is the first thing to do? the second?
> etc.
>
> What config files do I have to edit and where are they?
>
> As you can see I am lost. Documentation leads me in circles. It would
> also help if it was searchable.
>
> Art
>
> On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 11:26, Ben Prescott wrote:
> > I'm running suse 8.1, but it can't be that different.
> >
> > As I recall, the directory is set up for read/write access only by use
> > 'postgres' - you'll need to 'su' to that first. I tried opening it up,
> > and I think the database then refused to run.
> >
> > I ran it all from that user. I didn't get very far ... notably because
> > the machine insisted on freezing given some time alone running
> > postgresql, but I did get a table built and a perl script inserting a few
> > thousand rows of data.
> >
> > If that doesn't help, can you post some listings for the directory
> > properties. I think you'll find the database in /var/lib/pgsql/data.
> >
> > Apoligies for being vague, all the machines with postgresql installed on
> > are powered down right now!
> >
> > regards, Ben.
> >
> > On Sunday 26 January 2003 17:28, Art Fore wrote:
> > > I have postgresql 7.2 installed from the SuSE 8.0 CDROM. Have gone
> > > through the documentation on setting up the database, but when I try to
> > > access either the directory or the database as a user, I get permission
> > > denied.
> > >
> > > Since the documentation does not match reality as I guess SuSE
> > > bastardized the installation, If there is anyone one the list who has
> > > it installed and working, could you maybe give me a clue as to how to
> > > get this to operating?
> > >
> > > Art
> > >

> > > ---------------------------(end of
> > > broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the
> > > postmaster

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Art Fore
Date:
(verify $PGDATA is accurate)! What is $PGDATA and how do you verify it?

Art

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 15:16, Ben Prescott wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 11:26, Ben Prescott wrote:
> > > I'm running suse 8.1, but it can't be that different.
> > >
> > > As I recall, the directory is set up for read/write access only by use
> > > 'postgres' - you'll need to 'su' to that first. I tried opening it up,
> > > and I think the database then refused to run.
> > >
> > > I ran it all from that user. I didn't get very far ... notably because
> > > the machine insisted on freezing given some time alone running
> > > postgresql, but I did get a table built and a perl script inserting a few
> > > thousand rows of data.
> > >
> > > If that doesn't help, can you post some listings for the directory
> > > properties. I think you'll find the database in /var/lib/pgsql/data.
> > >
> > > Apoligies for being vague, all the machines with postgresql installed on
> > > are powered down right now!
> > >
> > > regards, Ben.

> > > TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

Date:
postgresql knows where to find its data directory from the environment
variable PGDATA.

From your symptoms, I think its OK.

The check I referred to ...

check its set:

echo $PGDATA

Check its OK:

ls -al $PGDATA.

shell will resolve the variable and then 'ls' will list the contents of the
directory, if set.

No such file or directory

will result if its incorrect.

Ben.

On Sunday 26 January 2003 23:36, Art Fore wrote:
> (verify $PGDATA is accurate)! What is $PGDATA and how do you verify it?
>
> Art
>
> On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 15:16, Ben Prescott wrote:
> > Seems most likely it isn't running.
> >
> > OK ... my checklist (documented 'cos I knew I'd forget it!!)
> >
> > # ensure /var/lib/pgsql/data is mounted
> > # switch user
> > su - postgres
> > # (verify $PGDATA is accurate)
> > # not sure what this does :o(
> > initdb
> > # start postgresql; eg:
> > pg_ctl -l /full/path/for/logile start
> > # or via the script in /etc/init.d
> >
> > if postegresql isn't running, you'll need to load it into the startup
> > environment. Yast2 has a runlevel editor. Its under 'system' - fire it
> > up, and edit the current level. Find the pgsql, select it, and then tick
> > the '3' and '5' boxes. This will start it whether or not your system
> > boots with X running.
> >
> > hth, Ben.
> >
> > On Sunday 26 January 2003 22:56, Art Fore wrote:
> > > System is SuSE 8.0 with Postgresql 7.2
> > >
> > > When I try to start postgresql with the runlevel editor or rcpostresql
> > > start I get FATAL 1:  File /var/lib/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION is missing.
> > > This is not a valid data directory.
> > >
> > > If I try postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &, I get Exit
> > > 1.
> > >
> > > If I run psql template1, I get psql: could not connect to server: No
> > > such file or directory. Is the server running locally and accepting
> > > connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
> > >
> > > Would help if I could find what the errors mean.
> > >
> > > What is PG_VERSION that is missing? Where does it come from?
> > >
> > > What is Unix domain socket? I am trying to run localhost.
> > >
> > > From the SuSE installation, What is the first thing to do? the second?
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > What config files do I have to edit and where are they?
> > >
> > > As you can see I am lost. Documentation leads me in circles. It would
> > > also help if it was searchable.
> > >
> > > Art

> > > ---------------------------(end of
> > > broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 6: Have you searched our list
> > > archives?
> > >
> > > http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Art Fore
Date:
The #PGDATA checks out.

pg_ctl -l /full/path/for/logile start says postmaster successfully
started. (this is slightly different syntax as in documentation)

But I check the runlevel editor in Yast, it say postgresql is not
running and when I start it, It comes up /etc/init.d/postgresql start
returned 1: Unspecified error.

Sure does not make sense to me.

Art

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 16:31, Ben Prescott wrote:
> postgresql knows where to find its data directory from the environment
> variable PGDATA.
>
> >From your symptoms, I think its OK.
>
> The check I referred to ...
>
> check its set:
>
> echo $PGDATA
>
> Check its OK:
>
> ls -al $PGDATA.
>
> shell will resolve the variable and then 'ls' will list the contents of the
> directory, if set.
>
> No such file or directory
>
> will result if its incorrect.
>
> Ben.
>
> On Sunday 26 January 2003 23:36, Art Fore wrote:
> > (verify $PGDATA is accurate)! What is $PGDATA and how do you verify it?
> >
> > Art
> >
> > On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 15:16, Ben Prescott wrote:
> > > Seems most likely it isn't running.
> > >
> > > OK ... my checklist (documented 'cos I knew I'd forget it!!)
> > >
> > > # ensure /var/lib/pgsql/data is mounted
> > > # switch user
> > > su - postgres
> > > # (verify $PGDATA is accurate)
> > > # not sure what this does :o(
> > > initdb
> > > # start postgresql; eg:
> > > pg_ctl -l /full/path/for/logile start
> > > # or via the script in /etc/init.d
> > >
> > > if postegresql isn't running, you'll need to load it into the startup
> > > environment. Yast2 has a runlevel editor. Its under 'system' - fire it
> > > up, and edit the current level. Find the pgsql, select it, and then tick
> > > the '3' and '5' boxes. This will start it whether or not your system
> > > boots with X running.
> > >
> > > hth, Ben.

> > > TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Art Fore
Date:
Finally got Postgresql to running with postmaster. Done a createuser
afore, and createdb shadb. Now I cannot connect with Rekall It comes up
with could not connect to server: Connection refused. Is server running
on host sporthorse-home /TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
Also tried localhost with no success.

Could someone tell me where to look next?

Date:
Art Fore <afore@sonic.net> writes:
> Finally got Postgresql to running with postmaster. Done a createuser
> afore, and createdb shadb. Now I cannot connect with Rekall It comes up
> with could not connect to server: Connection refused. Is server running
> on host sporthorse-home /TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Either you didn't tell the postmaster to listen for TCP connections
(-i commandline switch or whatever the postgresql.conf item is); or
you did, but the kernel is set up to filter traffic to port 5432.
The reason you could do the other things is that by default psql
connects via a Unix-domain socket, not TCP.  It sounds like Rekall
only knows about TCP connections.

            regards, tom lane

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Art Fore
Date:
Tried this and editing the pg_hba.conf file, but postgresql will not
start again after rebooting. I have spent two days on this but have to
give up for now as I have some other things to do. Maybe a few days
break will help.

I don't understand why it has to be so difficult to setup a postgresql
database. I thought Oracle was bad, but postgresql is worse. (Oracle is
also pretty bad in install and setup in Windows in addition to being
more bloatware than SQLServer.) A few years ago, I installed setup a MS
SQLServer7 and transfered data from Access into it in an hour. I am no
database expert, but have worked with various databases. The
documentation leaves a lot to be desired. There needs to be a basic
setup and install procedure that non-database experts can understand and
follow without researching everything.

Art

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 20:34, Tom Lane wrote:
> Art Fore <afore@sonic.net> writes:
> > Finally got Postgresql to running with postmaster. Done a createuser
> > afore, and createdb shadb. Now I cannot connect with Rekall It comes up
> > with could not connect to server: Connection refused. Is server running
> > on host sporthorse-home /TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>
> Either you didn't tell the postmaster to listen for TCP connections
> (-i commandline switch or whatever the postgresql.conf item is); or
> you did, but the kernel is set up to filter traffic to port 5432.
> The reason you could do the other things is that by default psql
> connects via a Unix-domain socket, not TCP.  It sounds like Rekall
> only knows about TCP connections.
>
>             regards, tom lane

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Art,

> I don't understand why it has to be so difficult to setup a postgresql
> database.

Frankly, most of us didn't find it difficult, even the first time.   For that
matter, RH 8.0's RPMs take care of a lot of this initial configuration stuff
for you; I'm not sure why SuSE's don't.

 I thought Oracle was bad, but postgresql is worse. (Oracle is
> also pretty bad in install and setup in Windows in addition to being
> more bloatware than SQLServer.) A few years ago, I installed setup a MS
> SQLServer7 and transfered data from Access into it in an hour. I am no
> database expert, but have worked with various databases.

Tell me that again, after you set up MS SQL *this* year.   I've set up
multiple MSSQL servers and PostgreSQL servers; Postgres is in my opinion much
easier, particularly if your MSSQL requires any special authentication, which
can take *hours* to troubleshoot on Win2k/Nt.   Let alone the number of
on-install options for MSSQL (like sort order) that require you to *re-format
the partition* and start over if you pick the wrong option.   Or for fun, why
don't you try changing the host name of an MSSQL server?  I double-dog dare
ya.

> The
> documentation leaves a lot to be desired. There needs to be a basic
> setup and install procedure that non-database experts can understand and
> follow without researching everything.

Tell you what, Art:   You pay my company the cost of one MS SQL Server
Enterprise license ($9995, last I checked).   I will hire a good technical
writer and create comprehensive documentation on every single variation of
installing PostgreSQL and troubleshooting all common problems reported on the
lists, and post it on www.PostgreSQL.org.  Deal?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Art,

Now that my headache is gone, I realize that that earlier e-mail came out much
more sarcastic than I intended.   Sorry to be so rough.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Art Fore
Date:
Well, I am no fan of MS SQL, but as I mentioned, it was pretty easy to
install a few years ago, about 4 I think. Maybe Red Hat does makes it
easier, but SuSE sure did not. Normaly Suse does pretty good with these
type programs. Also, my database needs are pretty simple, parts
database, things like that.

A type of flow-chart where the myriad of config files belong and a basid
description would really help, but I have never seen that. MySQL was
easier to install and configure, but it does not have stored views as
Postgresql.

Art

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 12:17, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Art,
>
> > I don't understand why it has to be so difficult to setup a postgresql
> > database.
>
> Frankly, most of us didn't find it difficult, even the first time.   For that
> matter, RH 8.0's RPMs take care of a lot of this initial configuration stuff
> for you; I'm not sure why SuSE's don't.
>
>  I thought Oracle was bad, but postgresql is worse. (Oracle is
> > also pretty bad in install and setup in Windows in addition to being
> > more bloatware than SQLServer.) A few years ago, I installed setup a MS
> > SQLServer7 and transfered data from Access into it in an hour. I am no
> > database expert, but have worked with various databases.
>
> Tell me that again, after you set up MS SQL *this* year.   I've set up
> multiple MSSQL servers and PostgreSQL servers; Postgres is in my opinion much
> easier, particularly if your MSSQL requires any special authentication, which
> can take *hours* to troubleshoot on Win2k/Nt.   Let alone the number of
> on-install options for MSSQL (like sort order) that require you to *re-format
> the partition* and start over if you pick the wrong option.   Or for fun, why
> don't you try changing the host name of an MSSQL server?  I double-dog dare
> ya.
>
> > The
> > documentation leaves a lot to be desired. There needs to be a basic
> > setup and install procedure that non-database experts can understand and
> > follow without researching everything.
>
> Tell you what, Art:   You pay my company the cost of one MS SQL Server
> Enterprise license ($9995, last I checked).   I will hire a good technical
> writer and create comprehensive documentation on every single variation of
> installing PostgreSQL and troubleshooting all common problems reported on the
> lists, and post it on www.PostgreSQL.org.  Deal?

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Art,

> Well, I am no fan of MS SQL, but as I mentioned, it was pretty easy to
> install a few years ago, about 4 I think. Maybe Red Hat does makes it
> easier, but SuSE sure did not. Normaly Suse does pretty good with these
> type programs. Also, my database needs are pretty simple, parts
> database, things like that.

Write the SuSE engineers (support@suse.com).  I've sent them e-mails about
problems with the SuSE Postgres RPM before, but haven't received a response.
Pester them enough and they may fix it.

> A type of flow-chart where the myriad of config files belong and a basid
> description would really help, but I have never seen that. MySQL was
> easier to install and configure, but it does not have stored views as
> Postgresql.

I know it doesn't help you now, but that's one thing we're planning on putting
in our book (which won't be out until 2004, sorry!).   Snippets from the book
will show up in Techdocs, though.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
"Tegge, Bernd"
Date:
At 14:25 27.01.2003 -0800, Art Fore wrote:
>Well, I am no fan of MS SQL, but as I mentioned, it was pretty easy to
>install a few years ago, about 4 I think. Maybe Red Hat does makes it
>easier, but SuSE sure did not. Normaly Suse does pretty good with these
>type programs. Also, my database needs are pretty simple, parts
>database, things like that.
>
>A type of flow-chart where the myriad of config files belong and a basid
>description would really help, but I have never seen that. MySQL was
>easier to install and configure, but it does not have stored views as
>Postgresql.

Well, I haven't used 8.0, but I just installed SuSE 8.1.
Basically, I did the following:
- Install at least packages postgresql, postgresql-libs and postgresql-server
- Use the yast2 /etc/sysconfig editor to set your data dir and any postmaster
   opts ( like -i ). You can find them under Base-Applications/Postgres.
- Use the Yast2 Runlevel editor to specify at which runlevels the postmaster
   should be started ( typically just 5 )
   You can start the the server right from that form.
- Add yourself a user account with "createuser -U postgres -d -A <username>"
   and a database "createdb mydb"
That took about 5 minutes.

>Art
>
>On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 12:17, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Art,
> >
> > > I don't understand why it has to be so difficult to setup a postgresql
> > > database.
> >
> > Frankly, most of us didn't find it difficult, even the first
> time.   For that
> > matter, RH 8.0's RPMs take care of a lot of this initial configuration
> stuff
> > for you; I'm not sure why SuSE's don't.
> >
> >  I thought Oracle was bad, but postgresql is worse. (Oracle is
> > > also pretty bad in install and setup in Windows in addition to being
> > > more bloatware than SQLServer.) A few years ago, I installed setup a MS
> > > SQLServer7 and transfered data from Access into it in an hour. I am no
> > > database expert, but have worked with various databases.
> >
> > Tell me that again, after you set up MS SQL *this* year.   I've set up
> > multiple MSSQL servers and PostgreSQL servers; Postgres is in my
> opinion much
> > easier, particularly if your MSSQL requires any special authentication,
> which
> > can take *hours* to troubleshoot on Win2k/Nt.   Let alone the number of
> > on-install options for MSSQL (like sort order) that require you to
> *re-format
> > the partition* and start over if you pick the wrong option.   Or for
> fun, why
> > don't you try changing the host name of an MSSQL server?  I double-dog
> dare
> > ya.
> >
> > > The
> > > documentation leaves a lot to be desired. There needs to be a basic
> > > setup and install procedure that non-database experts can understand and
> > > follow without researching everything.
> >
> > Tell you what, Art:   You pay my company the cost of one MS SQL Server
> > Enterprise license ($9995, last I checked).   I will hire a good technical
> > writer and create comprehensive documentation on every single variation of
> > installing PostgreSQL and troubleshooting all common problems reported
> on the
> > lists, and post it on www.PostgreSQL.org.  Deal?

postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
brew@theMode.com
Date:
Gang.......

> Write the SuSE engineers (support@suse.com).

I use Debian on my development laptop and just want to thank our own
Oliver Elphick for his work there.  He is responsible for the package and
it loaded and started from the apt-get install command most wonderfully.

Thanks Oliver.

However, getting Debian installed and understanding how apt-get works and
the philosophy behind it was somewhat harder.

Guess there is always choices and the associated good and bad side of
everything. And if it ever becomes completely automatic and does
everything anybody would want then we'd still have to figure out what
we want so the program would do it.

Oh, the dream of software that writes itself.  A friend of mine with years
of experience says ever since he started people (non-programming managers,
usually) have been saying that soon software would write itself
automatically and put programmers out of business in a few years...... it
hasn't happened yet.

Thanks again, Oliver.

brew

Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0

From
Art Fore
Date:
I installed postgresql on SuSE 8.1 at work and thanks to your email, it
went as you said. I had searched the SuSE database but found nothing.
Suggest you send your mini-howto to feedback@suse.com and have them put
it in the database.

Art