Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgresql with SuSE 8.0
Date
List pgsql-novice
Art Fore <afore@sonic.net> writes:
> Finally got Postgresql to running with postmaster. Done a createuser
> afore, and createdb shadb. Now I cannot connect with Rekall It comes up
> with could not connect to server: Connection refused. Is server running
> on host sporthorse-home /TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Either you didn't tell the postmaster to listen for TCP connections
(-i commandline switch or whatever the postgresql.conf item is); or
you did, but the kernel is set up to filter traffic to port 5432.
The reason you could do the other things is that by default psql
connects via a Unix-domain socket, not TCP.  It sounds like Rekall
only knows about TCP connections.

            regards, tom lane