moving a postgreSQL DB, etc.

From
"Reshat Sabiq"

I wonder if it is as easy to move a postgreSQL DB from one machine to another (assuming both are using postgre) as dumping it into a file, ftping the file, and loading it on the other end.

P.S. Is there an easy way to import an Access DB into postgreSQL?

P.P.S. Is there a tool similar to Access that provides visual DB interface for postgre DBs.

P.P.P.S. Is it easy to import a postgreSQL into a different one, like Oracle, or MS SQL Server?

Thanks,

r.

Re: moving a postgreSQL DB, etc.

From
"Henshall, Stuart - Design & Print"

Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if it is as easy to move a postgreSQL DB from one machine to
> another (assuming both are using postgre) as dumping it into a file,
> ftping the file, and loading it on the other end.
>
> P.S. Is there an easy way to import an Access DB into postgreSQL?
> P.P.S. Is there a tool similar to Access that provides visual DB
> interface for postgre DBs. P.P.P.S. Is it easy to import a postgreSQL
> into a different one, like Oracle, or MS SQL Server?
>
> Thanks,
> r.

You just dump the database using pg_dump (or pg_dumpall for all db's and users) to dump the database. If you have just made a plain dump you can just use psql to restore.

http://pgadmin.postgresql.org
site has a tool called pgMigration available for download. This should help.
I've not transfered data the other way, but if you use copy to get the data to a tab seperated file then it should be ok, or just link through ODBC and suck up the data directly (I think SQL Server has a tool to do this).

hth,
- Stuart

Henshall, Stuart - Design & Print wrote:
> Reshat Sabiq wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder if it is as easy to move a postgreSQL DB from one machine to
>> another (assuming both are using postgre) as dumping it into a file,
>> ftping the file, and loading it on the other end.
>>
>> P.S. Is there an easy way to import an Access DB into postgreSQL?
>> P.P.S. Is there a tool similar to Access that provides visual DB
>> interface for postgre DBs. P.P.P.S. Is it easy to import a postgreSQL
>> into a different one, like Oracle, or MS SQL Server?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> r.
> You just dump the database using pg_dump (or pg_dumpall for all db's
> and users) to dump the database. If you have just made a plain dump
> you can just use psql to restore. http://pgadmin.postgresql.org site
> has a tool called pgMigration available for download. This should
> help. I've not transfered data the other way, but if you use copy to
> get the data to a tab seperated file then it should be ok, or just
> link through ODBC and suck up the data directly (I think SQL Server
> has a tool to do this). hth,
> - Stuart

Sorry to reply to myself, just a quick addendum:
there is a program called pgaccess which I havn't used, but believe to be designed to give a similar style enviroment.
Alternativley you can access a postgreSQL db from MS Access using ODBC.
- Stuart

Re: moving a postgreSQL DB, etc.

From
Andrew McMillan
Date:
On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 21:38, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I wonder if it is as easy to move a postgreSQL DB from one machine to
> another (assuming both are using postgre) as dumping it into a file,
> ftping the file, and loading it on the other end.

Yes.  pg_dump and pg_restore are what you need.

> P.S. Is there an easy way to import an Access DB into postgreSQL?

Look for pgAdmin II to help do this:

http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/

> P.P.S. Is there a tool similar to Access that provides visual DB
> interface for postgre DBs.

It depends what functionality you see Access as providing.  You can use
Access itself, with ODBC, and there are many other tools that provide
bits and pieces of Access's functionality.

> P.P.P.S. Is it easy to import a postgreSQL into a different one, like
> Oracle, or MS SQL Server?

Again, pgAdmin should be able to help.  There are good Oracle tools for
converting data as well.  Not sure of the MS SQL ones.

Cheers,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/

Re: moving a postgreSQL DB, etc.->Thanks all

From
"Reshat Sabiq"
Date:
Hi,

I appreciate all the responses, individually and collectively.

Thank you very much,
r.