Re: moving a postgreSQL DB, etc.->Thanks all - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Reshat Sabiq
Subject Re: moving a postgreSQL DB, etc.->Thanks all
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

I appreciate all the responses, individually and collectively.

Thank you very much,
r.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Andrew McMillan
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 2:53 AM
To: Reshat Sabiq
Cc: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] moving a postgreSQL DB, etc.

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 21:38, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I wonder if it is as easy to move a postgreSQL DB from one machine to
> another (assuming both are using postgre) as dumping it into a file,
> ftping the file, and loading it on the other end.

Yes.  pg_dump and pg_restore are what you need.

> P.S. Is there an easy way to import an Access DB into postgreSQL?

Look for pgAdmin II to help do this:

http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/

> P.P.S. Is there a tool similar to Access that provides visual DB
> interface for postgre DBs.

It depends what functionality you see Access as providing.  You can use
Access itself, with ODBC, and there are many other tools that provide
bits and pieces of Access's functionality.

> P.P.P.S. Is it easy to import a postgreSQL into a different one, like
> Oracle, or MS SQL Server?

Again, pgAdmin should be able to help.  There are good Oracle tools for
converting data as well.  Not sure of the MS SQL ones.

Cheers,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/