Re: moving a postgreSQL DB, etc. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: moving a postgreSQL DB, etc.
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 21:38, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I wonder if it is as easy to move a postgreSQL DB from one machine to
> another (assuming both are using postgre) as dumping it into a file,
> ftping the file, and loading it on the other end.

Yes.  pg_dump and pg_restore are what you need.

> P.S. Is there an easy way to import an Access DB into postgreSQL?

Look for pgAdmin II to help do this:

http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/

> P.P.S. Is there a tool similar to Access that provides visual DB
> interface for postgre DBs.

It depends what functionality you see Access as providing.  You can use
Access itself, with ODBC, and there are many other tools that provide
bits and pieces of Access's functionality.

> P.P.P.S. Is it easy to import a postgreSQL into a different one, like
> Oracle, or MS SQL Server?

Again, pgAdmin should be able to help.  There are good Oracle tools for
converting data as well.  Not sure of the MS SQL ones.

Cheers,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/