Re: moving a postgreSQL DB, etc. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Henshall, Stuart - Design & Print
Subject Re: moving a postgreSQL DB, etc.
Date
List pgsql-novice

Henshall, Stuart - Design & Print wrote:
> Reshat Sabiq wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder if it is as easy to move a postgreSQL DB from one machine to
>> another (assuming both are using postgre) as dumping it into a file,
>> ftping the file, and loading it on the other end.
>>
>> P.S. Is there an easy way to import an Access DB into postgreSQL?
>> P.P.S. Is there a tool similar to Access that provides visual DB
>> interface for postgre DBs. P.P.P.S. Is it easy to import a postgreSQL
>> into a different one, like Oracle, or MS SQL Server?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> r.
> You just dump the database using pg_dump (or pg_dumpall for all db's
> and users) to dump the database. If you have just made a plain dump
> you can just use psql to restore. http://pgadmin.postgresql.org site
> has a tool called pgMigration available for download. This should
> help. I've not transfered data the other way, but if you use copy to
> get the data to a tab seperated file then it should be ok, or just
> link through ODBC and suck up the data directly (I think SQL Server
> has a tool to do this). hth,
> - Stuart

Sorry to reply to myself, just a quick addendum:
there is a program called pgaccess which I havn't used, but believe to be designed to give a similar style enviroment.
Alternativley you can access a postgreSQL db from MS Access using ODBC.
- Stuart