[DOCS] Missing COMMENT ON POLICY

From
"Charles Clavadetscher"
Date:
Hello

Well I gave it a try. I am still not very well aware how the process for
suggesting or submitting corrections work, but this is as far as I got.
In the attachment is a patch for the missing entry for POLICY in the
documentation on COMMENT that I mentioned earlier on pgsql-docs.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-docs-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-docs-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Charles Clavadetscher
Sent: Sonntag, 13. September 2015 07:36
To: pgsql-docs@postgresql.org
Subject: [DOCS] Missing COMMENT ON POLICY

Hello

Lately I am working intensively with the documentation capabilities of
PostgreSQL and I noticed that, although the functionality is available in
9.5 to add a comment to a policy, there is no entry for in the documentation

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-comment.html

Probably it would look like:

COMMENT ON POLICY policy_name ON table_name |

Between
OPERATOR FAMILY object_name USING index_method | and
[ PROCEDURAL ] LANGUAGE object_name |
Regards
Charles

Re: [DOCS] Missing COMMENT ON POLICY

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Charles,

* Charles Clavadetscher (clavadetscher@swisspug.org) wrote:
> Well I gave it a try. I am still not very well aware how the process for
> suggesting or submitting corrections work, but this is as far as I got.
> In the attachment is a patch for the missing entry for POLICY in the
> documentation on COMMENT that I mentioned earlier on pgsql-docs.

Thanks!  This looks mostly correct but only goes half-way (not that
there's a lot to this change ;).  The 'policy_name' parameter which is
added should also be added to the 'Parameters' list below, and the
description under 'table_name' updated to reflect that it's used for
policies also.

There should probably be an example added also, since it looks like
there are examples of pretty much all the other COMMENT ON
types.

Thanks again!

Stephen

Re: [DOCS] Missing COMMENT ON POLICY

From
"Charles Clavadetscher"
Date:
Hello Stephen

Yes, of course. I will take care of that and send a new patch.
Who will then git push it?

Thank you for your feedback.
Bye
Charles

Date:
Charles,

Just FYI, on these lists, we'd prefer it if you wouldn't top-post.

* Charles Clavadetscher (clavadetscher@swisspug.org) wrote:
> Yes, of course. I will take care of that and send a new patch.

Thanks!

> Who will then git push it?

I'd be happy to take care of it, though any of the committers may pick
it up, of course.  If there's a concern about the patch being missed or
forgotten then it can be added to the commitfest system (here:
http://commitfest.postgresql.org).  I don't believe there's a risk of
that here, but you're welcome to add it if you'd like, of course.

> Thank you for your feedback.

Thank you for working on this!

Stephen

Re: [DOCS] Missing COMMENT ON POLICY

From
Charles Clavadetscher
Date:
Hello Stephen

On 13/09/2015 14:49, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Charles,
>
> Just FYI, on these lists, we'd prefer it if you wouldn't top-post.
>
> * Charles Clavadetscher (clavadetscher@swisspug.org) wrote:
>> Yes, of course. I will take care of that and send a new patch.
> Thanks!
>
>> Who will then git push it?
> I'd be happy to take care of it, though any of the committers may pick
> it up, of course.  If there's a concern about the patch being missed or
> forgotten then it can be added to the commitfest system (here:
> http://commitfest.postgresql.org).  I don't believe there's a risk of
> that here, but you're welcome to add it if you'd like, of course.
>
>> Thank you for your feedback.
> Thank you for working on this!
>
> Stephen
In the attachement the new patch. I was not able to create one with both
commits so I also added the first one.
I think that documentation should be as complete as possible, but if you
say that there is no risk in missing the update, then I don't see a need
to add a line in the commitfest.

Thank you also for the hint on top-posting. I was not aware of that.
Have a good Sunday.
Charles

Attachment

Re: [DOCS] Missing COMMENT ON POLICY

From
Charles Clavadetscher
Date:
Stephen

On 13/09/2015 15:26, Charles Clavadetscher wrote:
> Hello Stephen
>
> On 13/09/2015 14:49, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> Charles,
>>
>> Just FYI, on these lists, we'd prefer it if you wouldn't top-post.
>>
>> * Charles Clavadetscher (clavadetscher@swisspug.org) wrote:
>>> Yes, of course. I will take care of that and send a new patch.
>> Thanks!
>>
>>> Who will then git push it?
>> I'd be happy to take care of it, though any of the committers may pick
>> it up, of course.  If there's a concern about the patch being missed or
>> forgotten then it can be added to the commitfest system (here:
>> http://commitfest.postgresql.org).  I don't believe there's a risk of
>> that here, but you're welcome to add it if you'd like, of course.
>>
>>> Thank you for your feedback.
>> Thank you for working on this!
>>
>> Stephen
> In the attachement the new patch. I was not able to create one with both
> commits so I also added the first one.
> I think that documentation should be as complete as possible, but if you
> say that there is no risk in missing the update, then I don't see a need
> to add a line in the commitfest.
>
> Thank you also for the hint on top-posting. I was not aware of that.
> Have a good Sunday.
> Charles

I noticed that the position of the parameter "policy_name" in the
description list of parameters was not at the (alphabetically) correct
position. I changed that and the result is attached.

I think/hope that is now all correct.

Thank you and bye
Charles

Attachment

Date:
Charles,

* Charles Clavadetscher (clavadetscher@swisspug.org) wrote:
> I noticed that the position of the parameter "policy_name" in the
> description list of parameters was not at the (alphabetically)
> correct position. I changed that and the result is attached.

Thanks!

> I think/hope that is now all correct.

We generally prefer one complete patch which represents the total set
of changes to a lot of individual little patches which build on each
other.

If you're using git and have these patches on a branch as different
commits, you can do an interactive rebase to squash them all together,
like this:

git rebase -i

That will open an editor and then you can choose the action to take for
each patch.  Generally, I'll make the first patch 'reword' and the
rest 'squash'.  Saving and exiting the editor will then take you to
another editor session where you'll have an opportunity to reword the
commit message (to incorporate all of the changes).

Once all of that's done, you can use 'git format-patch' to create a file
which includes the commit message and the patch.  I generally run it
like so:

git format-patch @{u} --stdout > ~/patches/filename-for-patch.patch

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: [DOCS] Missing COMMENT ON POLICY

From
Charles Clavadetscher
Date:
Hi Stephen

On 13/09/2015 16:56, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Charles,
>
> * Charles Clavadetscher (clavadetscher@swisspug.org) wrote:
>> I noticed that the position of the parameter "policy_name" in the
>> description list of parameters was not at the (alphabetically)
>> correct position. I changed that and the result is attached.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> I think/hope that is now all correct.
>
> We generally prefer one complete patch which represents the total set
> of changes to a lot of individual little patches which build on each
> other.
>
> If you're using git and have these patches on a branch as different
> commits, you can do an interactive rebase to squash them all together,
> like this:
>
> git rebase -i
>
> That will open an editor and then you can choose the action to take for
> each patch.  Generally, I'll make the first patch 'reword' and the
> rest 'squash'.  Saving and exiting the editor will then take you to
> another editor session where you'll have an opportunity to reword the
> commit message (to incorporate all of the changes).
>
> Once all of that's done, you can use 'git format-patch' to create a file
> which includes the commit message and the patch.  I generally run it
> like so:
>
> git format-patch @{u} --stdout > ~/patches/filename-for-patch.patch
>
> Hopefully that helps.

Yes, that helped a lot! In the attachment now a single patch file with
all changes.

Thank you a lot. BTW, looking forward to the server programming workshop
in Vienna.

Bye
Charles

Attachment

Date:
Charles,

* Charles Clavadetscher (clavadetscher@swisspug.org) wrote:
> Yes, that helped a lot! In the attachment now a single patch file
> with all changes.

I've pushed this fix now.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: [DOCS] Missing COMMENT ON POLICY

From
Charles Clavadetscher
Date:
Hi Stephen

> On 15.09.2015, at 17:13, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>
> Charles,
>
> * Charles Clavadetscher (clavadetscher@swisspug.org) wrote:
>> Yes, that helped a lot! In the attachment now a single patch file
>> with all changes.
>
> I've pushed this fix now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Stephen