autovacuum: found orphan temp table

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

While it is obvious what is happening in $SUBJECT as well as reasonably
obvious why it can happen. What isn't obvious is what to do about it. It
seems we log in as a super user and drop the temp tables.

However, I would think if we know that it is orphaned that autovacuum
should just clean those up?

JD
--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc

Re: autovacuum: found orphan temp table

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

Hi,

> While it is obvious what is happening in $SUBJECT as well as
> reasonably obvious why it can happen. What isn't obvious is what to
> do about it. It seems we log in as a super user and drop the temp
> tables.
>
> However, I would think if we know that it is orphaned that
> autovacuum should just clean those up?

As far as I recall, if you wait long enough it will drop them.  Looking
at the code: yes, it's forcibly dropped when it becomes a problem for
xid wraparound.  Of course, you can drop it as superuser as well; that
will save you a few months of WARNING spam ...

Cheers

Re: autovacuum: found orphan temp table

Date:
> While it is obvious what is happening in $SUBJECT as well as reasonably
> obvious why it can happen. What isn't obvious is what to do about it. It
> seems we log in as a super user and drop the temp tables.

You don't need to do anything --- the table will go away the next time
a session makes use of that pg_stat_temp schema.

> However, I would think if we know that it is orphaned that autovacuum
> should just clean those up?

That seems to me to be outside the charter of autovacuum, particularly
since orphan tables might be of interest for forensic reasons.
        regards, tom lane