More broken links in documentation

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
I wrote a small script to check our SGML, and the following links are
returning not found in our docs:

ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/nutshell/ujip/doc/cjk.inf
in charset.sgml, detailed info about some charsets. Do we just remove
this? Anybody know if similar info is available elsewhere?

http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/~jmh/
reference to a professor at berkeley whos work it's based on. I
suggest we just remove the link, but obviously keep the name.

http://garcia.me.berkeley.edu/~adong/rtree
reference to a student at berkeley in the same place (cube.sgml). Same
suggestion as above.

ftp://ftp.sco.com/skunkware
Link to "sco skunkware" which supposedly is available there if you
don't have the CD, in the installation notes for Unixware and
OpenServer. Which it isn't. Suggest we just remove this sentence, but
leave the reference to the CD.

http://www.cs.ut.ee/~helger/crypto/
General technical references link in pgcrypto with no more details.
Suggest we just remove it.

Anybody objecting to just removing this stuff per the list above?

Re: More broken links in documentation

From
Thom Brown
Date:

The link http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/jmh/ works.  Could you replace it with that?

http://www.cs.ut.ee/~helger/crypto/
General technical references link in pgcrypto with no more details.
Suggest we just remove it.

I've found http://research.cyber.ee/~lipmaa/crypto/ works.  Looking at the Google cache for the original link, it appears to contain the same stuff.

Thom

Re: More broken links in documentation

From
Greg Smith
Date:

This is now at http://www.sco.com/skunkware/

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com

Date:
2009/12/8 Thom Brown <thombrown@gmail.com>:
> 2009/12/8 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
>>
>> I wrote a small script to check our SGML, and the following links are
>> returning not found in our docs:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/nutshell/ujip/doc/cjk.inf
>> in charset.sgml, detailed info about some charsets. Do we just remove
>> this? Anybody know if similar info is available elsewhere?
>>
>> http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/~jmh/
>> reference to a professor at berkeley whos work it's based on. I
>> suggest we just remove the link, but obviously keep the name.
>
> The link http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/jmh/ works.  Could you replace it with that?

Clearly my google-fu was failing me badly. I have no idea why. Changed to that.

Also, the rtree one appears to be at
http://best.berkeley.edu/~adong/rtree/index.html - first hit in my
second attempt to google it, no idea how I missed it.

>> http://www.cs.ut.ee/~helger/crypto/
>> General technical references link in pgcrypto with no more details.
>> Suggest we just remove it.
>>

> I've found http://research.cyber.ee/~lipmaa/crypto/ works.  Looking at the Google cache for the original link, it
appearsto contain the same stuff.

Yeah, same comment about google-fu. Thanks!

Date:
2009/12/8 Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.sco.com/skunkware
>> Link to "sco skunkware" which supposedly is available there if you
>> don't have the CD, in the installation notes for Unixware and
>> OpenServer. Which it isn't. Suggest we just remove this sentence, but
>> leave the reference to the CD.
>>

> This is now at http://www.sco.com/skunkware/

That's it, I'm out of excuses :-)

Thanks!

That leaves just the ora.com link.

Date:

Now http://examples.oreilly.com/cjkvinfo/doc/cjk.inf

Date:
2009/12/8 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
> 2009/12/8 Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.sco.com/skunkware
>>> Link to "sco skunkware" which supposedly is available there if you
>>> don't have the CD, in the installation notes for Unixware and
>>> OpenServer. Which it isn't. Suggest we just remove this sentence, but
>>> leave the reference to the CD.
>>>

>> This is now at http://www.sco.com/skunkware/
>
> That's it, I'm out of excuses :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> That leaves just the ora.com link.

Found a mirror at http://examples.oreilly.com/cjkvinfo/doc/cjk.inf,
which says the master should be on that ftp site.

They're both oreilly sites, but they seem to have dropped that book
from the list on the ftp site. Do we dare link to that examples site,
or should we expect that one to go away as well?