cvs head doesn't pass make check on one of the machines here

From
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
Date:
consistently fails when compiled on ubuntu 9.10 here (on mini 10v).

Attachment

Re: cvs head doesn't pass make check on one of the machines here

From
Andrew Dunstan

Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
> consistently fails when compiled on ubuntu 9.10 here (on mini 10v).

+ ERROR:  incompatible library
"/home/kgrittn/postgresql-8.4.0/src/test/regress/refint.so": version
mismatch
+ DETAIL:  Server is version 8.4, library is version 8.3.

You might take this as a clue as to what you're doing wrong ...

cheers

andrew

Re: cvs head doesn't pass make check on one of the machines here

Date:
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz <gj@pointblue.com.pl> writes:
> consistently fails when compiled on ubuntu 9.10 here (on mini 10v).

Locale issue maybe?  Looks like it has some odd ideas about text
sort order.
        regards, tom lane

Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia czwartek 12 listopad 2009 o 22:14:14 Andrew Dunstan napisał(a):
>
>> Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
>>
>>> consistently fails when compiled on ubuntu 9.10 here (on mini
>>>
> 10v).
>
>> + ERROR:  incompatible library
>> "/home/kgrittn/postgresql-8.4.0/src/test/regress/refint.so": version
>> mismatch
>> + DETAIL:  Server is version 8.4, library is version 8.3.
>>

>> You might take this as a clue as to what you're doing wrong ...
>>

> and where abouts is that in the file that I included ? can't see it ?
>

> As per Tom's - yes, this laptop has LANG set to UTF8 Polish. Setting it
> back to EN actually makes this error go away.
> Now question (probably being asked already), is why isn't regression
> test set the locales ?

Oh. I must have looked at thwe wrong file. I apologise. You diffs were
gzipped so I had to extract them.

cheers

andrew

Re: cvs head doesn't pass make check on one of the machines here

From
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Date:
Dnia czwartek 12 listopad 2009 o 22:14:14 Andrew Dunstan napisał(a):
> Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
> > consistently fails when compiled on ubuntu 9.10 here (on mini
10v).

> + ERROR:  incompatible library
> "/home/kgrittn/postgresql-8.4.0/src/test/regress/refint.so": version
> mismatch
> + DETAIL:  Server is version 8.4, library is version 8.3.
>

> You might take this as a clue as to what you're doing wrong ...

and where abouts is that in the file that I included ? can't see it ?

As per Tom's - yes, this laptop has LANG set to UTF8 Polish. Setting it
back to EN actually makes this error go away.
Now question (probably being asked already), is why isn't regression
test set the locales ?

Re: cvs head doesn't pass make check on one of the machines here

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On fre, 2009-11-13 at 15:05 +0100, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
> As per Tom's - yes, this laptop has LANG set to UTF8 Polish. Setting
> it back to EN actually makes this error go away.

The Polish locale isn't supported by the regression tests.

Re: cvs head doesn't pass make check on one of the machines here

Date:
> On fre, 2009-11-13 at 15:05 +0100, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
>> As per Tom's - yes, this laptop has LANG set to UTF8 Polish. Setting
>> it back to EN actually makes this error go away.

> The Polish locale isn't supported by the regression tests.

With only one result-ordering difference, it seems like we could easily
support that if there were enough demand.  I'd want somebody running a
buildfarm machine in Polish locale, though, to catch future breakages.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On 13 Nov 2009, at 19:39, Tom Lane wrote:

>> On fre, 2009-11-13 at 15:05 +0100, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
>>> As per Tom's - yes, this laptop has LANG set to UTF8 Polish. Setting
>>> it back to EN actually makes this error go away.
>
>> The Polish locale isn't supported by the regression tests.
>
> With only one result-ordering difference, it seems like we could easily
> support that if there were enough demand.  I'd want somebody running a
> buildfarm machine in Polish locale, though, to catch future breakages.

Setting the LANG variable doesn't change behaviour, unfortunately - and it passes on other computers. But changing it
onthe machine with Polish locale does make it pass, weird.

(I barely use Polish locales, even tho I was born long time ago in that country, so it is hard to test it for me - on
dailybasis. But I will try to re-test it every so often).

Date:
On fre, 2009-11-13 at 14:39 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On fre, 2009-11-13 at 15:05 +0100, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
> >> As per Tom's - yes, this laptop has LANG set to UTF8 Polish. Setting
> >> it back to EN actually makes this error go away.
>
> > The Polish locale isn't supported by the regression tests.
>
> With only one result-ordering difference, it seems like we could easily
> support that if there were enough demand.  I'd want somebody running a
> buildfarm machine in Polish locale, though, to catch future breakages.

Yeah, I don't mind, as long as someone can personally verify that the
current results are actually correct.  When I fixed most of the other
locales a while back, most of the differences where like "sorts q like
x", which could easily be verified by, say, Wikipedia.  The results of
the Polish locale, however, didn't make sense to me, and the glibc
locale sources are also not in line with most of the other locales
(which are just standard UTF-8 locale + language differences).