Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
I'm fairly surprised these queries work. Is there some reason why we
support this? April Fools Day? Jules Verne? I'm all for fast queries,
but zero seems like the lowest value we should support...

postgres=# select * from accounts limit -9;aid | bid | abalance | filler
-----+-----+----------+--------
(0 rows)

Time: 0.330 ms
postgres=# select * from accounts limit -9 offset 45;aid | bid | abalance | filler
-----+-----+----------+--------
(0 rows)

Time: 0.268 ms
postgres=# select * from accounts limit -9 offset -100000;aid | bid | abalance | filler
-----+-----+----------+--------
(0 rows)

Time: 0.287 ms

postgres=# select * from accounts limit 0 offset -100000;aid | bid | abalance | filler
-----+-----+----------+--------
(0 rows)

Time: 0.289 ms

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:

> I'm fairly surprised these queries work. Is there some reason why we
> support this? April Fools Day? Jules Verne? I'm all for fast queries,
> but zero seems like the lowest value we should support...

Huh, I was all set to post an example of a useful application of it but then
apparently I'm wrong and it doesn't work:

postgres=# select * from generate_series(1,10) offset -1 limit 2;generate_series
-----------------              1              2
(2 rows)

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to guess what I was expecting.

So given that that doesn't work I don't see any particular reason to accept
negative offsets or limits in 8.4 and on.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's On-Demand Production
Tuning

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 01:47:23AM +0000, Gregory Stark wrote:
> Huh, I was all set to post an example of a useful application of it but then
> apparently I'm wrong and it doesn't work:

I dimly remember some discussion of this issue once before, maybe a year
ago.  My memory isn't what it was, and I can't find it by trolling archives,
but I recall Tom saying that it was dumb, yes, but don't do that, because
there's some reason not to change it.  I know, helpful search terms R me.

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On Dec 13, 2007 9:43 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
> I dimly remember some discussion of this issue once before, maybe a year
> ago.  My memory isn't what it was, and I can't find it by trolling archives,
> but I recall Tom saying that it was dumb, yes, but don't do that, because
> there's some reason not to change it.  I know, helpful search terms R me.

Man, maybe my mad Google skillz are not as mad as I thought :(

The best I could come up with was on my first try, though as it's just
a reply to a user asking for a different behavior of it, I doubt this
is it:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-10/msg01293.php

Google search terms:

site:archives.postgresql.org "tom lane" "limit -1" "negative"

While I haven't looked at the code myself, I tend to agree with Simon
and Greg... I know of no reason to allow a negative limit/offset.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

Date:
Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> writes:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 01:47:23AM +0000, Gregory Stark wrote:
>> Huh, I was all set to post an example of a useful application of it but then
>> apparently I'm wrong and it doesn't work:

> I dimly remember some discussion of this issue once before, maybe a year
> ago.  My memory isn't what it was, and I can't find it by trolling archives,
> but I recall Tom saying that it was dumb, yes, but don't do that, because
> there's some reason not to change it.  I know, helpful search terms R me.

Hmm ... I don't recall much either.  The code in nodeLimit.c just
silently replaces a negative input value by zero.  It'd certainly be
possible to make it throw an error instead, but what the downsides of
that might be aren't clear.

I guess that on purely philosophical grounds, it's not an unreasonable
behavior.  For example, "LIMIT n" means "output at most n tuples",
not "output exactly n tuples".  So when it outputs no tuples in the face
of a negative limit, it's meeting its spec.  If you want to throw an
error for negative limit, shouldn't you logically also throw an error
for limit larger than the actual number of rows produced by the subplan?
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 10:01:43PM -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> Man, maybe my mad Google skillz are not as mad as I thought :(

Hey, I worked in a library some years ago, when Google was just a googlet,
and I couldn't find it either.  It's a dim memory, note.  Which could mean
"artifact".  I'm old!  I'm probably delusional too.

Date:
On Dec 13, 2007 10:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I guess that on purely philosophical grounds, it's not an unreasonable
> behavior.  For example, "LIMIT n" means "output at most n tuples",
> not "output exactly n tuples".  So when it outputs no tuples in the face
> of a negative limit, it's meeting its spec.  If you want to throw an
> error for negative limit, shouldn't you logically also throw an error
> for limit larger than the actual number of rows produced by the subplan?

Hmm, good point.  It does seem like if you're going to be pedantic,
you should be pedantic on both counts.

Though, I could understand throwing an error on a negative, because
that's likely a bug in the user's code and would enable them to find
out what's wrong.  On the limit-larger-than-tuples-returned case, I
don't think it should throw an error because it's generally considered
as, "at most this many".  I don't see a case where any user would
think that a negative limit *should* be allowed.

Don't we have any similar usability cases in the system like this,
where negatives are not allowed only for the sake of it being an
insane setting?  I'm tired, but I thought we did.

--

Date:
On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 10:06:35PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> of a negative limit, it's meeting its spec.  If you want to throw an
> error for negative limit, shouldn't you logically also throw an error

Should it be a WARNING?

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

Date:
"Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com> writes:
> Don't we have any similar usability cases in the system like this,
> where negatives are not allowed only for the sake of it being an
> insane setting?  I'm tired, but I thought we did.

Yeah, probably.  It's the kind of thing where the call is close enough
that it might be made differently by different people.

After thinking about it for a bit, the only downside I can think of is
that throwing an error might create an unexpected corner case for code
that computes a LIMIT value on-the-fly and might sometimes come up
with a slightly negative value.  But you could always doLIMIT greatest(whatever, 0)
so that seems like a weak argument.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
On Dec 13, 2007 10:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> writes:
> > On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 01:47:23AM +0000, Gregory Stark wrote:
> >> Huh, I was all set to post an example of a useful application of it but then
> >> apparently I'm wrong and it doesn't work:
>
> > I dimly remember some discussion of this issue once before, maybe a year
> > ago.  My memory isn't what it was, and I can't find it by trolling archives,
> > but I recall Tom saying that it was dumb, yes, but don't do that, because
> > there's some reason not to change it.  I know, helpful search terms R me.
>
> Hmm ... I don't recall much either.  The code in nodeLimit.c just
> silently replaces a negative input value by zero.  It'd certainly be
> possible to make it throw an error instead, but what the downsides of
> that might be aren't clear.
>
> I guess that on purely philosophical grounds, it's not an unreasonable
> behavior.  For example, "LIMIT n" means "output at most n tuples",
> not "output exactly n tuples".  So when it outputs no tuples in the face
> of a negative limit, it's meeting its spec.  If you want to throw an
> error for negative limit, shouldn't you logically also throw an error
> for limit larger than the actual number of rows produced by the subplan?

for historical record, this comment (subject not directly related to
the OP) was probably this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org/msg62562.html

at least if it happened since 10/2004, which is when i started
tracking -hackers in my gmail account (an amazing search tool, btw).

merlin

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

From
Neil Conway
Date:
> I guess that on purely philosophical grounds, it's not an unreasonable
> behavior.  For example, "LIMIT n" means "output at most n tuples",
> not "output exactly n tuples".  So when it outputs no tuples in the face
> of a negative limit, it's meeting its spec.

If "LIMIT n" means "emit at most n tuples", then a query that produces 0
rows with n < 0 is arguably violating its spec, since it has produced
more tuples than the LIMIT specified (0 > n). Interpreted this way, no
result set can be consistent with a negative limit, so I'd vote for
throwing an error.

-Neil

Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> "Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com> writes:
>> Don't we have any similar usability cases in the system like this,
>> where negatives are not allowed only for the sake of it being an
>> insane setting?  I'm tired, but I thought we did.
>
> Yeah, probably.  It's the kind of thing where the call is close enough
> that it might be made differently by different people.
>
> After thinking about it for a bit, the only downside I can think of is
> that throwing an error might create an unexpected corner case for code
> that computes a LIMIT value on-the-fly and might sometimes come up
> with a slightly negative value.

See, that's what I was thinking when I wrote the OFFSET -1 LIMIT 2 test. If
that produced 1 record then I would say it avoids a corner case for user code
which would have to special case windows which hit the beginning or end of the
data set. But given that it doesn't work that way anyways user code already
has a big corner case.

The argument for errors that I see is: Having a useless non-error behaviour
locks us into keeping that. If we one day think of a useful set of semantics
we can't just silently change the meaning on users without a transition period
of generating errors.

For example we might want to implement negative offsets like above, or if we
want to implement negative limits as meaning some number of rows *before* the
offset or end of relation, or something like that...

The flip side of all this is that it's hard to get too excited about it. It's
just OFFSET / LIMIT. If it was a big deal we would have noticed years ago
anyways. It might not be worth the effort to change and introduce behaviour
changes for users at all.

Oh, and incidentally the problem with WARNING is that this is DML which could
potentially be executing hundreds or thousands of times per minute. A WARNING
is effectively an ERROR.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's Slony Replication
support!

Date:

> Hmm ... I don't recall much either.  The code in nodeLimit.c just
> silently replaces a negative input value by zero.  It'd certainly be
> possible to make it throw an error instead, but what the downsides of
> that might be aren't clear.
>
> I guess that on purely philosophical grounds, it's not an unreasonable
> behavior.  For example, "LIMIT n" means "output at most n tuples",
> not "output exactly n tuples".  So when it outputs no tuples in the face
> of a negative limit, it's meeting its spec.

Not bothered either way, really, just reporting weirdness as it comes.

A calculated LIMIT value that was negative probably indicates an error
in the calculation that the SQL programmer may wish to know about. I had
previously assumed that we would report such errors.

> If you want to throw an
> error for negative limit, shouldn't you logically also throw an error
> for limit larger than the actual number of rows produced by the subplan?

No, thats another feature AT LEAST n, which could also be a useful
thing, like an Assert.

Date:
On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 22:23 -0800, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 22:06 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I guess that on purely philosophical grounds, it's not an unreasonable
> > behavior.  For example, "LIMIT n" means "output at most n tuples",
> > not "output exactly n tuples".  So when it outputs no tuples in the face
> > of a negative limit, it's meeting its spec.
>
> If "LIMIT n" means "emit at most n tuples", then a query that produces 0
> rows with n < 0 is arguably violating its spec, since it has produced
> more tuples than the LIMIT specified (0 > n). Interpreted this way, no
> result set can be consistent with a negative limit, so I'd vote for
> throwing an error.

I even found an existing, unused error message called
ERRCODE_INVALID_LIMIT_VALUE

so here's a patch.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment

Date:
On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 14:41 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 22:23 -0800, Neil Conway wrote:

> so here's a patch.

minor correction

--

Date:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 09:02:04AM +0000, Gregory Stark wrote:

> Oh, and incidentally the problem with WARNING is that this is DML which could
> potentially be executing hundreds or thousands of times per minute. A WARNING
> is effectively an ERROR.

Good point.  Also, the sort of case where you're likely to be automatically
generating these negative values is also the sort of case where you have
various nice programmatic interfaces, many of which store up all the
warnings.  The warnings then have to be freed explicitly, which of course
means that by adding a warning, clients would suddenly start to chew through
piles of memory.

Date:
On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 11:31:17PM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> for historical record, this comment (subject not directly related to
> the OP) was probably this:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org/msg62562.html

Bingo.  Thanks!

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

Date:
> I even found an existing, unused error message called
> ERRCODE_INVALID_LIMIT_VALUE

That's a bad idea I think.  That code is defined by SQL99.  I can't find
anyplace that they specify what it should be raised for, but we can be
pretty confident that it's not meant for LIMIT.  I think we should
just use INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE.

How do people feel about applying this to 8.3, rather than holding it?
One possible objection is that we're past string freeze, but I noted
Peter doing some message editorializing as recently as today, so it
would seem a slushy freeze at best.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Dec 14, 2007 6:42 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> How do people feel about applying this to 8.3, rather than holding it?
> One possible objection is that we're past string freeze, but I noted
> Peter doing some message editorializing as recently as today, so it
> would seem a slushy freeze at best.

FWIW, I'm good with applying it to 8.3.

--

Date:
"Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 14, 2007 6:42 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> How do people feel about applying this to 8.3, rather than holding it?
>> One possible objection is that we're past string freeze, but I noted
>> Peter doing some message editorializing as recently as today, so it
>> would seem a slushy freeze at best.
>
> FWIW, I'm good with applying it to 8.3.

I think it would have been better to apply before beta. We would have found
out if users were going to complain about it. Perhaps we should do it for 8.4
instead

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

Date:
>> On Dec 14, 2007 6:42 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> How do people feel about applying this to 8.3, rather than holding it?

> I think it would have been better to apply before beta. We would have found
> out if users were going to complain about it. Perhaps we should do it for 8.4
> instead

Um ... what's your point?  Are you suggesting we might've backed it out
if a bunch of people complained?  Perhaps, but given that no one's even
noticed the detail before, it seems pretty unlikely there would have
been any complaints during beta.
        regards, tom lane

Date:

> How do people feel about applying this to 8.3, rather than holding it?
> One possible objection is that we're past string freeze, but I noted
> Peter doing some message editorializing as recently as today, so it
> would seem a slushy freeze at best.

No opinion either way on this one.

Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>
>> I think it would have been better to apply before beta. We would have found
>> out if users were going to complain about it. Perhaps we should do it for 8.4
>> instead
>
> Um ... what's your point?  Are you suggesting we might've backed it out
> if a bunch of people complained?  Perhaps, but given that no one's even
> noticed the detail before, it seems pretty unlikely there would have
> been any complaints during beta.

I suppose that's what I'm saying. We've certainly been surprised before by
user reaction. But if you think we wouldn't back it out in that case that kind
of takes the wind out of that concern.

Date:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 06:42:24PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> How do people feel about applying this to 8.3, rather than holding it?

To me, this is a feature change, and therefore should be held.

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

Date:
Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> writes:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 06:42:24PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> How do people feel about applying this to 8.3, rather than holding it?

> To me, this is a feature change, and therefore should be held.

Well, I wouldn't advocate making it in a minor release, but it's not
clear how that translates into saying it can't go into 8.3.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:

> "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>
> > I'm fairly surprised these queries work. Is there some reason why we
> > support this? April Fools Day? Jules Verne? I'm all for fast queries,
> > but zero seems like the lowest value we should support...
>
> Huh, I was all set to post an example of a useful application of it but then
> apparently I'm wrong and it doesn't work:
>
> postgres=# select * from generate_series(1,10) offset -1 limit 2;
>  generate_series
> -----------------
>                1
>                2
> (2 rows)
>
> I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to guess what I was expecting.
>
> So given that that doesn't work I don't see any particular reason to accept
> negative offsets or limits in 8.4 and on.

Since we got LIMIT/OFFSET from MySQL, would someone tell us how MySQL
behaves in these cases?

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

Date:
> Since we got LIMIT/OFFSET from MySQL, would someone tell us how MySQL
> behaves in these cases?

Not very well, at least not in mysql 5.0.45:

mysql> select * from t limit -2;
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server
versionfor the right syntax to use near '-2' at line 1

mysql> select * from t limit 2 offset -2;
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server
versionfor the right syntax to use near '-2' at line 1

This behavior suggests that they can't even deal with LIMIT/OFFSET
values that aren't simple integer literals ...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> mysql> select * from t limit 2 offset -2;
> ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server
versionfor the right syntax to use near '-2' at line 1

> This behavior suggests that they can't even deal with LIMIT/OFFSET
> values that aren't simple integer literals ...

I suppose when they added these features I think they didn't have subqueries,
so there wasn't really much useful that could be done with arbitrary
expressions here. Being able to do "LIMIT 1+1" doesn't actually add anything.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

Date:
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> This behavior suggests that they can't even deal with LIMIT/OFFSET
>> values that aren't simple integer literals ...

> I suppose when they added these features I think they didn't have subqueries,
> so there wasn't really much useful that could be done with arbitrary
> expressions here. Being able to do "LIMIT 1+1" doesn't actually add anything.

Sure.  I think our first implementation of LIMIT was similarly
constrained.  It's just amusing that they haven't moved past that,
despite having had the feature first ...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 12:31:11PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, I wouldn't advocate making it in a minor release, but it's not
> clear how that translates into saying it can't go into 8.3.

Just because we're well past feature freeze, in beta.  I realise this seems
like a corner case, but the whole point of having betas where functionality
is more or less frozen is to reduce the liklihood that someone's testing on
(say) beta 2 is not all completely invalidated on beta 4.

Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

Date:
http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches_hold

Date:
> On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 22:23 -0800, Neil Conway wrote:
>> If "LIMIT n" means "emit at most n tuples", then a query that produces 0
>> rows with n < 0 is arguably violating its spec, since it has produced
>> more tuples than the LIMIT specified (0 > n). Interpreted this way, no
>> result set can be consistent with a negative limit, so I'd vote for
>> throwing an error.

> I even found an existing, unused error message called
> ERRCODE_INVALID_LIMIT_VALUE

> so here's a patch.

Applied, but using just ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE rather than
guessing what the SQL committee intended with that SQLSTATE.
        regards, tom lane