Developer TODO List as a PostgreSQL DB

From
deductive@Kutoma.com
Date:
Hallo to all,

Just wondering after reading so many mails from Hackers List.(its 2.15 AM now!!)
Is there anybody working on something to create a DB from
a) The TODO list http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html
b) The sourcecode of PostgreSQL
c) The relevant Mailings from the developers lists

Not sure if someone was dealing with similar thoughts.PostgreSQL is such a great
tool
to get you organized so that I wonder why the 3 most important things of this
project are not organized like a PostgreSQL DB

Thanks for any feedback

Gottfried

www.wirtschaftswunder.co.uk

www.5152.eu

Re: Developer TODO List as a PostgreSQL DB

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
deductive@Kutoma.com wrote:
> Hallo to all,
>
> Just wondering after reading so many mails from Hackers List.(its 2.15 AM now!!)
> Is there anybody working on something to create a DB from

What?

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Developer TODO List as a PostgreSQL DB

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Gottfried,

> Just wondering after reading so many mails from Hackers List.(its 2.15 AM
> now!!) Is there anybody working on something to create a DB from
> a) The TODO list http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html
> b) The sourcecode of PostgreSQL
> c) The relevant Mailings from the developers lists

Of those, only the TODO makes sense as a DB.  You're welcome to go for it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Developer TODO List as a PostgreSQL DB

From
"Chad Wagner"
Date:
On 2/26/07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Just wondering after reading so many mails from Hackers List.(its 2.15 AM
> now!!) Is there anybody working on something to create a DB from
> a) The TODO list http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html
> b) The sourcecode of PostgreSQL
> c) The relevant Mailings from the developers lists

Of those, only the TODO makes sense as a DB.  You're welcome to go for it.

The TODO list is a bit outdated, and it would make sense to make it into a web page and assign names to the tasks and which releases the TODO task will make it in.  Perhaps it would even be useful for folks to post their WIP patches, status updates, etc to such a page?

Any comments?  I am willing to chip in.  I could only imagine the current workload for maintaining this is a bit overwhelming.

Re: Developer TODO List as a PostgreSQL DB

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 08:41 -0500, Chad Wagner wrote:

> The TODO list is a bit outdated,

Really?

> and it would make sense to make it into a web page and assign names to
> the tasks and which releases the TODO task will make it in.  Perhaps
> it would even be useful for folks to post their WIP patches, status
> updates, etc to such a page?

Please read the archives.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Developer TODO List as a PostgreSQL DB

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
Chad Wagner wrote:
> On 2/26/07, *Josh Berkus* <josh@agliodbs.com
> <mailto:josh@agliodbs.com>> wrote:
>
>     > Just wondering after reading so many mails from Hackers
>     List.(its 2.15 AM
>     > now!!) Is there anybody working on something to create a DB from
>     > a) The TODO list http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html
>     > b) The sourcecode of PostgreSQL
>     > c) The relevant Mailings from the developers lists
>
>     Of those, only the TODO makes sense as a DB.  You're welcome to go
>     for it.
>

> The TODO list is a bit outdated, and it would make sense to make it
> into a web page and assign names to the tasks and which releases the
> TODO task will make it in.  Perhaps it would even be useful for folks
> to post their WIP patches, status updates, etc to such a page?
>
> Any comments?  I am willing to chip in.  I could only imagine the
> current workload for maintaining this is a bit overwhelming.

Before we rehash recent debates, please, everybody, review them. Going
over and over and over the same ground laboriously is really getting
tiresome, and unfortunately it's also getting more frequent. It's *déjà
vu *all over again.

And, for the record, I do not see the slightest point in putting the
TODO list on its own into a database. None, zilch, nada. As database
professionals we should be adept at recognising when the use of a
database is appropriate and when it isn't. If we put it into a tracking
system (presumably database backed) that would be another matter, but
that has gone nowhere as usual.

There is some point in putting it in a wiki where we can gather relevant
documents, links to discussions etc. That's why the developers' wiki was
established, AIUI.

cheers

andrew

Date:
Before we rehash recent debates, please, everybody, review them. Going
over and over and over the same ground laboriously is really getting
tiresome, and unfortunately it's also getting more frequent. It's *déjà
vu *all over again.

History does tend to repeat itself, doesn't it?  I just assumed it was never discussed based on Josh's response.

database is appropriate and when it isn't. If we put it into a tracking
system (presumably database backed) that would be another matter, but
that has gone nowhere as usual.

A tracking system is what I was referring to, if it didn't have a front-end then it would be quite pointless to have it in a database.  Honestly, I think Trac even does this, but I am far from familiar with that tool -- I have just seen other projects with "roadmap" items which categorized TODO tasks into future releases.

There is some point in putting it in a wiki where we can gather relevant
documents, links to discussions etc. That's why the developers' wiki was
established, AIUI.

To be honest, it may be adequate to maintain this solely through the Wiki.  The only thing I see lacking is specifically who is handling tasks, and what release it is planned for.  Perhaps, I am just looking in the wrong place?

Date:
Chad Wagner wrote:

>     There is some point in putting it in a wiki where we can gather
>     relevant
>     documents, links to discussions etc. That's why the developers'
>     wiki was
>     established, AIUI.
>

> To be honest, it may be adequate to maintain this solely through the
> Wiki.  The only thing I see lacking is specifically who is handling
> tasks, and what release it is planned for.  Perhaps, I am just looking
> in the wrong place?

There's a good reason this information is missing: it doesn't exist.
Please, like I said, have a look at recent discussions.

Maybe we need some extra FAQs, like:

. Why do you still use CVS instead of <insert favorite SCM system here>?
. Why don't you use bug tracking software?
. Where do I find out when <insert desired feature here> will be in a
release?

cheers

andrew

Re: Developer TODO List as a PostgreSQL DB

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Chad Wagner wrote:
>>
>>     There is some point in putting it in a wiki where we can gather
>>     relevant
>>     documents, links to discussions etc. That's why the developers'
>>     wiki was
>>     established, AIUI.
>>

>> To be honest, it may be adequate to maintain this solely through the
>> Wiki.  The only thing I see lacking is specifically who is handling
>> tasks, and what release it is planned for.  Perhaps, I am just looking
>> in the wrong place?
>>

> There's a good reason this information is missing: it doesn't exist.
> Please, like I said, have a look at recent discussions.
>
> Maybe we need some extra FAQs, like:
>
> . Why do you still use CVS instead of <insert favorite SCM system here>?
> . Why don't you use bug tracking software?
> . Where do I find out when <insert desired feature here> will be in a
> release?

yeah .. would be a good idea .. with some links to key posts in the
archive .. would be much less work than replying all the time .. and
would also make it easier for new comers to not burn their fingers at
rehashing things needlessly ..

regards,
Lukas

Re: Developer TODO List as a PostgreSQL DB

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Feb 27, 2007, at 23:40 , Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Maybe we need some extra FAQs, like:
>
> . Why do you still use CVS instead of <insert favorite SCM system
> here>?

I just saw a patch from Robert Treat on just this topic. Doesn't look
like its been applied yet.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Date:
> And, for the record, I do not see the slightest point in putting the
> TODO list on its own into a database. None, zilch, nada. As database
> professionals we should be adept at recognising when the use of a
> database is appropriate and when it isn't. If we put it into a tracking
> system (presumably database backed) that would be another matter, but
> that has gone nowhere as usual.

As someone who has been involved in these discussions over and over, I
would suggest that everyone just drop the whole thing. It won't go
anywhere, and it just isn't worth the 3 cents of bandwidth it would cost
to send the emails.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

POSTGRES WAL

From
Mageshwaran
Date:
Hi ,

Is there any method or utility to convert content of WAL files into
Human Readable format.

Regards
J Mageshwaran

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Chad Wagner wrote:
>
>> On 2/26/07, *Josh Berkus* <josh@agliodbs.com
>> <mailto:josh@agliodbs.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     > Just wondering after reading so many mails from Hackers
>>     List.(its 2.15 AM
>>     > now!!) Is there anybody working on something to create a DB from
>>     > a) The TODO list http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html
>>     > b) The sourcecode of PostgreSQL
>>     > c) The relevant Mailings from the developers lists
>>
>>     Of those, only the TODO makes sense as a DB.  You're welcome to go
>>     for it.
>>
>> The TODO list is a bit outdated, and it would make sense to make it
>> into a web page and assign names to the tasks and which releases the
>> TODO task will make it in.  Perhaps it would even be useful for folks
>> to post their WIP patches, status updates, etc to such a page?
>>
>> Any comments?  I am willing to chip in.  I could only imagine the
>> current workload for maintaining this is a bit overwhelming.
>

> Before we rehash recent debates, please, everybody, review them. Going
> over and over and over the same ground laboriously is really getting
> tiresome, and unfortunately it's also getting more frequent. It's
> *déjà vu *all over again.
>
> And, for the record, I do not see the slightest point in putting the
> TODO list on its own into a database. None, zilch, nada. As database
> professionals we should be adept at recognising when the use of a
> database is appropriate and when it isn't. If we put it into a
> tracking system (presumably database backed) that would be another
> matter, but that has gone nowhere as usual.
>
> There is some point in putting it in a wiki where we can gather
> relevant documents, links to discussions etc. That's why the
> developers' wiki was established, AIUI.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

********** DISCLAIMER **********
Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to
Sify Limited and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to
confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If this is a
forwarded message, the content of this E-MAIL may not have been sent with
the authority of the Company. If you are not the intended recipient, an
agent of the intended recipient or a  person responsible for delivering the
information to the named recipient,  you are notified that any use,
distribution, transmission, printing, copying or dissemination of this
information in any way or in any manner is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please delete this mail & notify us
immediately at admin@sifycorp.com

Watch the latest updates on Mumbai, with video coverage of news, events,
Bollywood, live darshan from Siddhivinayak temple and more, only on
www.mumbailive.in

Watch the hottest videos from Bollywood, Fashion, News and more only on
www.sifymax.com

Re: POSTGRES WAL

From
"Takayuki Tsunakawa"
Date:
Is there any method or utility to convert content of WAL files into
Human Readable format.

xlogdump (or xlog viewer) might help.  Sorry, I've never used it yet.
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/xlogviewer/

Re: POSTGRES WAL

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 2/28/07, Mageshwaran <j_mageshwaran@sifycorp.com> wrote:
> Is there any method or utility to convert content of WAL files into
> Human Readable format.

Not really.  The only two WAL utilities available that I know of are
Tom's xlogdump and the SoC project based on it called XlogViewer.

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/xlogviewer/

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: POSTGRES WAL

From
Mageshwaran
Date:
Thanks tsunakawa , harris

Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> On 2/28/07, Mageshwaran <j_mageshwaran@sifycorp.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there any method or utility to convert content of WAL files into
>> Human Readable format.
>

> Not really.  The only two WAL utilities available that I know of are
> Tom's xlogdump and the SoC project based on it called XlogViewer.
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/xlogviewer/

********** DISCLAIMER **********
Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to
Sify Limited and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to
confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If this is a
forwarded message, the content of this E-MAIL may not have been sent with
the authority of the Company. If you are not the intended recipient, an
agent of the intended recipient or a  person responsible for delivering the
information to the named recipient,  you are notified that any use,
distribution, transmission, printing, copying or dissemination of this
information in any way or in any manner is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please delete this mail & notify us
immediately at admin@sifycorp.com

Watch the latest updates on Mumbai, with video coverage of news, events,
Bollywood, live darshan from Siddhivinayak temple and more, only on
www.mumbailive.in

Watch the hottest videos from Bollywood, Fashion, News and more only on
www.sifymax.com

Re: POSTGRES WAL

From
Mageshwaran
Date:
Hi ,

I want setup replication for  postgres server , please help me on this
issue. I dont want to use any third party programs. I like to do it
using WAL.

Regards
J Mageshwaran

Mageshwaran wrote:

> Thanks tsunakawa , harris
>

> Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>
>> On 2/28/07, Mageshwaran <j_mageshwaran@sifycorp.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any method or utility to convert content of WAL files into
>>> Human Readable format.
>>

>> Not really.  The only two WAL utilities available that I know of are
>> Tom's xlogdump and the SoC project based on it called XlogViewer.
>>
>> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/xlogviewer/
>>

> ********** DISCLAIMER **********
> Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to
> Sify Limited and is intended for use only by the individual or entity
> to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is
> privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable
> law. If this is a forwarded message, the content of this E-MAIL may
> not have been sent with the authority of the Company. If you are not
> the intended recipient, an agent of the intended recipient or a
> person responsible for delivering the information to the named
> recipient,  you are notified that any use, distribution, transmission,
> printing, copying or dissemination of this information in any way or
> in any manner is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> communication in error, please delete this mail & notify us
> immediately at admin@sifycorp.com
>

> Watch the latest updates on Mumbai, with video coverage of news, events,
> Bollywood, live darshan from Siddhivinayak temple and more, only on
> www.mumbailive.in
>
> Watch the hottest videos from Bollywood, Fashion, News and more only on
> www.sifymax.com

>       match

Re: POSTGRES WAL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> I want setup replication for  postgres server , please help me on this
> issue. I dont want to use any third party programs. I like to do it
> using WAL.

This is not the correct list for these kinds of questions.   Please try
pgsql-general instead.  Thanks.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: POSTGRES WAL

From
"Vishal Arora"
Date:
Hi

Just to add an question to it.. do we have a felixbitily to run this
xlogdump or xlogviewer on windows installation of Postgres. Also how do we
run these utilities with the existing postgres server running on linux box.

thanks

Vishal

>From: "Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com>
>To: Mageshwaran <j_mageshwaran@sifycorp.com>
>CC: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net>, "Chad Wagner"
><chad.wagner@gmail.com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com>,
>pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org, deductive@kutoma.com
>Subject: Re: [HACKERS] POSTGRES WAL
>Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:51:22 -0500
>
>On 2/28/07, Mageshwaran <j_mageshwaran@sifycorp.com> wrote:
>>Is there any method or utility to convert content of WAL files into
>>Human Readable format.
>
>Not really.  The only two WAL utilities available that I know of are
>Tom's xlogdump and the SoC project based on it called XlogViewer.
>
>http://pgfoundry.org/projects/xlogviewer/
>
>--
>Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
>EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301
>33 Wood Ave S, 3rd Floor            | jharris@enterprisedb.com
>Iselin, New Jersey 08830            | http://www.enterprisedb.com/

>TIP 7: You can help support the PostgreSQL project by donating at
>
>                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Intro*Terms