Why do we want to %Remove behavior of postmaster -o

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

I was looking at this todo item and I was wondering why we want to do
this? I have had to use -o -P on many occassion and was wondering if
there is something new to replace it in newer PostgreSQL?

Joshua D. Drake
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Why do we want to %Remove behavior of postmaster -o

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking at this todo item and I was wondering why we want to do
> this? I have had to use -o -P on many occassion and was wondering if
> there is something new to replace it in newer PostgreSQL?

Uh, are you confusing it with
postgres -O -P?

Keep in mind that postgres (the standalone backend) is not the same as
postmaster, and that the options are case sensitive :-)

Re: Why do we want to %Remove behavior of postmaster -o

Date:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I was looking at this todo item and I was wondering why we want to do
>> this? I have had to use -o -P on many occassion and was wondering if
>> there is something new to replace it in newer PostgreSQL?

> Keep in mind that postgres (the standalone backend) is not the same as
> postmaster, and that the options are case sensitive :-)

Actually, the TODO item is very badly worded.  The idea is to get rid of
the spelling differences between postmaster and postgres options, and
then there will be no need for '-o' because you'll just say what you
want --- that is, "-o -foo" and "-foo" will be interchangeable.

Peter posted some preliminary work along this line a couple months ago,
but seems to have gotten stalled by lack of Windows testing.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Why do we want to %Remove behavior of postmaster -o

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Samstag, 3. Juni 2006 04:27 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Actually, the TODO item is very badly worded.  The idea is to get rid of
> the spelling differences between postmaster and postgres options, and
> then there will be no need for '-o' because you'll just say what you
> want --- that is, "-o -foo" and "-foo" will be interchangeable.

This is already done.

I suppose that the idea was that the -o option should be phased out over a
couple of releases.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Why do we want to %Remove behavior of postmaster -o

Date:
> Am Samstag, 3. Juni 2006 04:27 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> Actually, the TODO item is very badly worded.  The idea is to get rid of
>> the spelling differences between postmaster and postgres options, and
>> then there will be no need for '-o' because you'll just say what you
>> want --- that is, "-o -foo" and "-foo" will be interchangeable.

> This is already done.

Oh, right.  The patch you still have uncommitted had to do with getting
rid of the separate postmaster and postgres executables, right?  Is that
going anywhere, or did you decide it's not worth the trouble?
        regards, tom lane