Stuff running slooow

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but cvsweb is a bit slow right
now and mailing list response times have gotten really slow. Could we
use more machines or bandwidth?
Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461

Re: Stuff running slooow

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
tom pointed it out to me a little while ago ... am looking into why, but
I'm also just finishing putting together a new server to speed things up
some more yet ...

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but cvsweb is a bit slow right
> now and mailing list response times have gotten really slow. Could we
> use more machines or bandwidth?
> --
> Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
> Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

----

Re: Stuff running slooow

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
Well, if hardware or bandwidth becomes an issue I suspect we could
easily get donations to improve things.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 10:39:23PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> tom pointed it out to me a little while ago ... am looking into why, but
> I'm also just finishing putting together a new server to speed things up
> some more yet ...
>
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
> >Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but cvsweb is a bit slow right
> >now and mailing list response times have gotten really slow. Could we
> >use more machines or bandwidth?
> >--
> >Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
> >Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461

> >TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
> >

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461

Re: Stuff running slooow

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Well, if hardware or bandwidth becomes an issue I suspect we
> could easily get donations to improve things.

IIRC we have plenty of spare both hardware and bandwidth on the box
donated by Pervasive. But it runs Linux so you can't just move freebsd
VMs across, which is why it's only used as a web frontent and to run
planetpostgresql.org at the moment.

//Magnus

Re: Stuff running slooow

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 09:58:21AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Well, if hardware or bandwidth becomes an issue I suspect we
> > could easily get donations to improve things.
>
> IIRC we have plenty of spare both hardware and bandwidth on the box
> donated by Pervasive. But it runs Linux so you can't just move freebsd
> VMs across, which is why it's only used as a web frontent and to run
> planetpostgresql.org at the moment.

If the OS it's running is a legitimate issue I can work on changing
that. By VMs do you mean jails?

Date:
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 09:58:21AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Well, if hardware or bandwidth becomes an issue I suspect we
> > could easily get donations to improve things.
>
> IIRC we have plenty of spare both hardware and bandwidth on the box
> donated by Pervasive. But it runs Linux so you can't just move freebsd
> VMs across, which is why it's only used as a web frontent and to run
> planetpostgresql.org at the moment.

Sorry, itchy send-button...

For sending email, there are packages that allow a remote machine to
handle email sending duties. This would allow off-loading SMTP duties
from the box running the mailman web stuff.

Date:
> > > Well, if hardware or bandwidth becomes an issue I suspect
> we could
> > > easily get donations to improve things.
> >
> > IIRC we have plenty of spare both hardware and bandwidth on the box
> > donated by Pervasive. But it runs Linux so you can't just
> move freebsd
> > VMs across, which is why it's only used as a web frontent
> and to run
> > planetpostgresql.org at the moment.
>
> Sorry, itchy send-button...
>
> For sending email, there are packages that allow a remote
> machine to handle email sending duties. This would allow
> off-loading SMTP duties from the box running the mailman web stuff.

I beleive this is already done. For example, your mail came to me
through flake.decibel.org.

//Magnus

Re: Stuff running slooow

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > we could
> > >
> > > IIRC we have plenty of spare both hardware and bandwidth
> on the box
> > > donated by Pervasive. But it runs Linux so you can't just
> > move freebsd
> > > VMs across, which is why it's only used as a web frontent
> > and to run
> > > planetpostgresql.org at the moment.
> >
> > Sorry, itchy send-button...
> >
> > For sending email, there are packages that allow a remote
> machine to
> > handle email sending duties. This would allow off-loading
> SMTP duties
> > from the box running the mailman web stuff.
>
> I beleive this is already done. For example, your mail came
> to me through flake.decibel.org.

Eh. That would be me looking at the mail that didn't pass the listserver
:-)

Picking one that does, thouhg, my mails typicall pass through a box at
commandprompt.com, so the argument holds while the example was broken.

//Magnus

Re: Stuff running slooow

From
"Jim Nasby"
> > we could
> > >
> > > IIRC we have plenty of spare both hardware and bandwidth
> on the box
> > > donated by Pervasive. But it runs Linux so you can't just
> > move freebsd
> > > VMs across, which is why it's only used as a web frontent
> > and to run
> > > planetpostgresql.org at the moment.
> >
> > Sorry, itchy send-button...
> >
> > For sending email, there are packages that allow a remote
> > machine to handle email sending duties. This would allow
> > off-loading SMTP duties from the box running the mailman web stuff.
>
> I beleive this is already done. For example, your mail came to me
> through flake.decibel.org.
>
> //Magnus

Which is my machine at home, which is what I generally use for list traffic.

The actual mail-chain for list traffic is svr1.postgresql.org to svr2. Maybe svr2 is handling the bulk emailing
already.The delay seems to be on svr1 in any case.

Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461

Re: Stuff running slooow

From
"Dave Page"
There are a few distribution servers, another of which is the Pervasive box.

/D

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
> > we could
> > >
> > > IIRC we have plenty of spare both hardware and bandwidth
> on the box
> > > donated by Pervasive. But it runs Linux so you can't just
> > move freebsd
> > > VMs across, which is why it's only used as a web frontent
> > and to run
> > > planetpostgresql.org at the moment.
> >
> > Sorry, itchy send-button...
> >
> > For sending email, there are packages that allow a remote
> machine to
> > handle email sending duties. This would allow off-loading
> SMTP duties
> > from the box running the mailman web stuff.
>
> I beleive this is already done. For example, your mail came
> to me through flake.decibel.org.

Eh. That would be me looking at the mail that didn't pass the listserver
:-)

Picking one that does, thouhg, my mails typicall pass through a box at
commandprompt.com, so the argument holds while the example was broken.

//Magnus

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Re: Stuff running slooow

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Eh. That would be me looking at the mail that didn't pass the listserver
> :-)
>
> Picking one that does, thouhg, my mails typicall pass through a box at
> commandprompt.com, so the argument holds while the example was broken.

Well one thing I can tell you is that it definately appears as if the
mailing lists need help.

It seems to take a LONG time for a post to show up for any particular
person, when it should be almost instantaenous.

I know the problem is not on our end as I am watching messages being
relayed faster than I can read them but somewhere there is a bottleneck.

I have mentioned previously that I would really like to see the email
lists move to mailman (long list of reasons why but I don't want to
start a war).

The long and short is I have never understood why it takes so long for
posts to show up.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> //Magnus