Moving a project from gborg to pgfoundry?

From
Shachar Shemesh
Date:
Hi all,

When pgfoundry was opened, there was some talk about moving the projects
from gborg there. This has not, to date, happened. Is there any chance
of this happening now, even if only for the specific project? I feel
really bad about releasing a new version of ole db, with the news of the
previous release not yet disappearing from the main page.

I don't even need all of the infrastructure. Moving just CVS and the
mailing lists will be more than enough. There is nothing important in
the bug and other areas that cannot be reconstructed in a few minute's work.
         Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.

Re: Moving a project from gborg to pgfoundry?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
If only the CVS/Mailing lists are needed, and nothing that is "in the
database", then this shouldn't be too hard ... go to pgfoundry, submit for
the new project ... once it is approved, create the various mailing lists
that you have on gborg, and then, *before* you do anything else on either,
I can move copies of both from gborg -> pgfoundry  ...

Once I've copied both over, I'll get Chris to mark the gborg project as
being 'disabled' so that nobody will see it over there anymore ...

----

Re: Moving a project from gborg to pgfoundry?

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> If only the CVS/Mailing lists are needed, and nothing that is "in the
> database", then this shouldn't be too hard ... go to pgfoundry, submit
> for the new project ... once it is approved, create the various mailing
> lists that you have on gborg, and then, *before* you do anything else on
> either, I can move copies of both from gborg -> pgfoundry  ...
>
> Once I've copied both over, I'll get Chris to mark the gborg project as
> being 'disabled' so that nobody will see it over there anymore ...

Actually, it would be very nice if the project was still visible at
gborg with a single page explaining that the project has moved. People
may get the wrong idea if it just disappears.

I'm still in status quo with PL/Java. I'm eager to help out to get the
move done, but I still don't know what more I can do. My requirements
are the same as Shachar's although a dump of the current bug database
would be helpful.

Genpages, uploads, etc. are things that I can reconstruct from material
that's in the CVS.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Date:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>> If only the CVS/Mailing lists are needed, and nothing that is "in the
>> database", then this shouldn't be too hard ... go to pgfoundry, submit for
>> the new project ... once it is approved, create the various mailing lists
>> that you have on gborg, and then, *before* you do anything else on either,
>> I can move copies of both from gborg -> pgfoundry  ...
>>
>> Once I've copied both over, I'll get Chris to mark the gborg project as
>> being 'disabled' so that nobody will see it over there anymore ...
>>
> Actually, it would be very nice if the project was still visible at gborg
> with a single page explaining that the project has moved. People may get the
> wrong idea if it just disappears.
>
> I'm still in status quo with PL/Java. I'm eager to help out to get the move
> done, but I still don't know what more I can do. My requirements are the same
> as Shachar's although a dump of the current bug database would be helpful.

mailing lists and cvs are easy, as they are the same format under either
... its the 'database conversion' stuff that is the reason for the long
hold up for the rest ...

----

Re: Moving a project from gborg to pgfoundry?

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
I think having to be on a specific server to get automatic updates on
the front page is the problem. Moving it not the correct solution. There
are may postgresql related projects that don't live on pgfoundry, or
even gborg.

Why is this a necessity?

Can't we set up some sort of interface to the latest news?

Dave

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>

>>> If only the CVS/Mailing lists are needed, and nothing that is "in
>>> the database", then this shouldn't be too hard ... go to pgfoundry,
>>> submit for the new project ... once it is approved, create the
>>> various mailing lists that you have on gborg, and then, *before* you
>>> do anything else on either, I can move copies of both from gborg ->
>>> pgfoundry  ...
>>>
>>> Once I've copied both over, I'll get Chris to mark the gborg project
>>> as being 'disabled' so that nobody will see it over there anymore ...
>>>
>> Actually, it would be very nice if the project was still visible at
>> gborg with a single page explaining that the project has moved.
>> People may get the wrong idea if it just disappears.
>>
>> I'm still in status quo with PL/Java. I'm eager to help out to get
>> the move done, but I still don't know what more I can do. My
>> requirements are the same as Shachar's although a dump of the current
>> bug database would be helpful.
>

> mailing lists and cvs are easy, as they are the same format under
> either ... its the 'database conversion' stuff that is the reason for
> the long hold up for the rest ...
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Dave Cramer
http://www.postgresintl.com
519 939 0336
ICQ#14675561

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>>> Once I've copied both over, I'll get Chris to mark the gborg project
>>> as being 'disabled' so that nobody will see it over there anymore ...

Ok, I submitted a request for the project under pgfoundry. Same name
(oledb).

>> Actually, it would be very nice if the project was still visible at
>> gborg with a single page explaining that the project has moved.
>> People may get the wrong idea if it just disappears.

Seconded. The address was in the files in the release.

>> I'm still in status quo with PL/Java. I'm eager to help out to get
>> the move done, but I still don't know what more I can do. My
>> requirements are the same as Shachar's although a dump of the current
>> bug database would be helpful.
>

> mailing lists and cvs are easy, as they are the same format under
> either ... its the 'database conversion' stuff that is the reason for
> the long hold up for the rest ...

Yes, well. I never liked much the way gborg handled bugs. In fact, it's
the fact that people started using the bug system under gborg that
causes me to miss pgfoundry so much.  Comments such as the one on
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/oledb/bugs/bugupdate.php?755 also
don't help.

The three bugs or so that actually need tracking I can transfer myself.
I don't think it justifies writing automatic conversion. It does not
even seem as if gborg is enjoying a lot of active projects anyways. Of
the three projects that had anything new to say in over a month, two
have just stated that they don't care about the rest of the info anyways.

To summarize, just give me read only access to the old project's data
and I'm set.
      Shachar

--

Date:
Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> To summarize, just give me read only access to the old project's data
> and I'm set.

I second that.

- thomas