7.4 feature freeze is here

Date:
The Postgres core committee would like to announce that we are now in
feature-freeze mode for the 7.4 release.

All patches already received in pgsql-patches will be considered in the
usual fashion (and yes, we'll allow some slack for fixing problems in
them).  New features arriving in the future will be held for 7.5.

Feel free to keep sending patches that fix bugs or improve
documentation; only new features are out.

The plan is to spend the next two weeks cleaning things up (bug fixes,
documentation, etc) with a formal beta release scheduled on or about
July 15.

Final release of 7.4 will be whenever it seems ready, as usual.
        regards, tom lane

Re: 7.4 feature freeze is here

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Once you folks are done going through the remaining list of patches, can
we get someone to send a rough list of new features in 7.4 sent over to
-advocacy? Please feel free to highlight any items that you think
warrant special notice from a technical standpoint. Thanks in advance,

Robert Treat

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 17:26, Tom Lane wrote:
> The Postgres core committee would like to announce that we are now in
> feature-freeze mode for the 7.4 release.
>
> All patches already received in pgsql-patches will be considered in the
> usual fashion (and yes, we'll allow some slack for fixing problems in
> them).  New features arriving in the future will be held for 7.5.
>
> Feel free to keep sending patches that fix bugs or improve
> documentation; only new features are out.
>
> The plan is to spend the next two weeks cleaning things up (bug fixes,
> documentation, etc) with a formal beta release scheduled on or about
> July 15.
>
> Final release of 7.4 will be whenever it seems ready, as usual.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: 7.4 feature freeze is here

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 10:18:23 +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> wrote:

> It might be killer than that PHP support for Apache2 requires that all PHP
> modules be thread-safe...

Is that true if you are using the prefork MPM?

Re: 7.4 feature freeze is here

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 10:18:23 +0800,
>   Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > It might be killer than that PHP support for Apache2 requires that all
PHP
> > modules be thread-safe...
>
> Is that true if you are using the prefork MPM?

Dunno.

Chris

Re: 7.4 feature freeze is here

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> > You might like to mention that (as far as I can tell) ECPG is now safe
> > for pthreads on Linux and FreeBSD. The recursive mutex locks are removed,
> > so
>
> even
>
> > platforms that implement the earlier version of pthreads ought to work as
> > well, once configure supports them (anyone care to actually test this
> > assertion?)

I don't quite understand this.  This doesn't mean that *postgresql* is
threaded, does it?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 7.4 feature freeze is here

From
Philip Yarra
Date:
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 04:03 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I don't quite understand this.  This doesn't mean that *postgresql* is
> threaded, does it?

I was just referring to the client interfaces ECPG and libpq. AFAIK the
back-end is not threaded (and I'm beginning to understand why not).

So my app starts multiple threads of execution through the ECPG libs... the
ECPG libs (and libpq) start multiple sockets to the back-end - one for each
thread. No changes to the back-end.

That's my understanding - Lee did most of the work, so maybe he can confirm
that.

Regards, Philip Yarra.