PHP/PgSQL *and* libpq ...

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Just a side bar to the whole thread about PHP/MySQL ... I realize that
libpq is intwined with the backend right now, but if anyone could think of
a way of at least adding a make target that would create a libpq.tar.gz
distribution, I believe it would go a long way towards making it easier
for ppl to add/compile in PgSQL support into PHP ... right now, to do so,
you have to download an 8Meg file to get libpq ... if it could be reduced
to a <.5Meg tar.gz file:

svr1# du -sk libpq
532     libpq

it would be less onerous to download and add the support in ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: PHP/PgSQL *and* libpq ...

Added to TODO:
* Allow creation of a libpq-only tarball

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Just a side bar to the whole thread about PHP/MySQL ... I realize that
> libpq is intwined with the backend right now, but if anyone could think of
> a way of at least adding a make target that would create a libpq.tar.gz
> distribution, I believe it would go a long way towards making it easier
> for ppl to add/compile in PgSQL support into PHP ... right now, to do so,
> you have to download an 8Meg file to get libpq ... if it could be reduced
> to a <.5Meg tar.gz file:
>
> svr1# du -sk libpq
> 532     libpq
>
> it would be less onerous to download and add the support in ...
>

> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PHP/PgSQL *and* libpq ...

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Seems like we should also allow for a windows specific distribution of libpq
as well.

Robert Treat

Date:
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:59:41 -0300 (ADT), "Marc G. Fournier" wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > Seems like we should also allow for a windows specific distribution of libpq
> > as well.
>
> I thought that the win32 stuff was being included as part of the base
> distribution?  IF so, wouldn't such already be included in any
> libpq.tar.gz we created?  Is there a reason why we'd need a
> libpq-win.tar.gz (assuming that that is what you are suggesting?) ... ?

i'm merely suggesting that a *.tar.gz may not be the best method of distribution
for windows users.

>  >
> > Robert Treat
> >
> > On Tuesday 24 June 2003 10:43 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Added to TODO:
> > >
> > >     * Allow creation of a libpq-only tarball

Robert treat

Re: PHP/PgSQL *and* libpq ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> Seems like we should also allow for a windows specific distribution of libpq
> as well.

I thought that the win32 stuff was being included as part of the base
distribution?  IF so, wouldn't such already be included in any
libpq.tar.gz we created?  Is there a reason why we'd need a
libpq-win.tar.gz (assuming that that is what you are suggesting?) ... ?

> Robert Treat
>
> On Tuesday 24 June 2003 10:43 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Added to TODO:
> >
> >     * Allow creation of a libpq-only tarball

> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > > Just a side bar to the whole thread about PHP/MySQL ... I realize that
> > > libpq is intwined with the backend right now, but if anyone could think
> > > of a way of at least adding a make target that would create a
> > > libpq.tar.gz distribution, I believe it would go a long way towards
> > > making it easier for ppl to add/compile in PgSQL support into PHP ...
> > > right now, to do so, you have to download an 8Meg file to get libpq ...
> > > if it could be reduced to a <.5Meg tar.gz file:
> > >
> > > svr1# du -sk libpq
> > > 532     libpq
> > >
> > > it would be less onerous to download and add the support in ...

Re: PHP/PgSQL *and* libpq ...

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Robert Treat wrote:
>
>> Seems like we should also allow for a windows specific distribution of libpq
>> as well.
>
> I thought that the win32 stuff was being included as part of the base
> distribution?  IF so, wouldn't such already be included in any
> libpq.tar.gz we created?  Is there a reason why we'd need a
> libpq-win.tar.gz (assuming that that is what you are suggesting?) ... ?

I think he meant a separate binary, somehow installer-wrapped libpq.dll
- right?

Honestly I think that doesn't do much for windows. It would only do if
we would add many other, more or less dependant interfaces, like ODBC,
Pgtcl, Pgperl?, JDBC, MyDBC ... but then we get into all the license,
packaging, distribution hassle.

Jan

Date:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Robert Treat wrote:
> >
> >> Seems like we should also allow for a windows specific distribution of libpq
> >> as well.
> >
> > I thought that the win32 stuff was being included as part of the base
> > distribution?  IF so, wouldn't such already be included in any
> > libpq.tar.gz we created?  Is there a reason why we'd need a
> > libpq-win.tar.gz (assuming that that is what you are suggesting?) ... ?
>
> I think he meant a separate binary, somehow installer-wrapped libpq.dll
> - right?
>
> Honestly I think that doesn't do much for windows. It would only do if
> we would add many other, more or less dependant interfaces, like ODBC,
> Pgtcl, Pgperl?, JDBC, MyDBC ... but then we get into all the license,
> packaging, distribution hassle.

Well, actually, I believe Dave already does up the ODBC driver in binary
form ...

And dont' we have a 'native, non-cygwin' libpq already?

Re: PHP/PgSQL *and* libpq ...

From
"Dave Page"

Yes I do - but it's LGPL.

> And dont' we have a 'native, non-cygwin' libpq already?

There are VC++ makefiles for libpq & psql. We use the libpq ones for the
win32 port of pgAdmin3. There are no binary distributions of libpq/psql
afaik.

Regards, Dave.