beta1 packaged

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
will announce it on -announce tomorrow, if ppl want to take a quick look
at it ... man pages weren't included, but I did regenerate the docs per
Peter's suggested commands ...

Scary, even with removing a load of stuff over to gborg, its still gotten
bigger then the last release :)

%ls -lt ~ftp/pub/source/v7.3beta
total 21125
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql        70 Sep  4 22:28 postgresql-test-7.3b1.tar.gz.md5
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql        65 Sep  4 22:28 postgresql-7.3b1.tar.gz.md5
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql        70 Sep  4 22:28 postgresql-base-7.3b1.tar.gz.md5
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql        70 Sep  4 22:28 postgresql-docs-7.3b1.tar.gz.md5
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql        69 Sep  4 22:28 postgresql-opt-7.3b1.tar.gz.md5
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql   1070154 Sep  4 22:28 postgresql-test-7.3b1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql   2629533 Sep  4 22:28 postgresql-opt-7.3b1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql   2577818 Sep  4 22:28 postgresql-docs-7.3b1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql   4505929 Sep  4 22:28 postgresql-base-7.3b1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql  10783992 Sep  4 22:27 postgresql-7.3b1.tar.gz

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> %ls -lt ~ftp/pub/source/v7.3beta

Is this where you're putting it this time?  Last time was ~ftp/pub/beta.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking     http://www.camping-usa.com      http://www.cloudninegifts.com  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
 http://www.unknown-artists.com

Re: beta1 packaged

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> > %ls -lt ~ftp/pub/source/v7.3beta
>
> Is this where you're putting it this time?  Last time was ~ftp/pub/beta.

actually, should be a symlink, but until I know the packaging and all is
well, I'm avoiding put it in there ...

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > > %ls -lt ~ftp/pub/source/v7.3beta
> >
> > Is this where you're putting it this time?  Last time was ~ftp/pub/beta.
>
> actually, should be a symlink, but until I know the packaging and all is
> well, I'm avoiding put it in there ...

Ok, I'll leave the script as is then.

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> actually, should be a symlink, but until I know the packaging and all is
> well, I'm avoiding put it in there ...

I pulled down the main tarball -- looks good AFAICT.
        regards, tom lane

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 22:39, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> will announce it on -announce tomorrow, if ppl want to take a quick look
> at it ... man pages weren't included, but I did regenerate the docs per
> Peter's suggested commands ...

'./configure && make check' passes on i386 FreeBSD.

SunOS control.shared2 5.7 Generic_106541-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
shows an error in ALTER TABLE tests:

c> cat src/test/regress/regression.diffs
*** ./expected/alter_table.out  Fri Aug 30 12:23:20 2002
--- ./results/alter_table.out   Thu Sep  5 07:44:18 2002
***************
*** 367,374 **** -- As should this ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
pktable(ptest1); NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
check(s) DROP TABLE pktable cascade;
- NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $2 on table fktable NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $1 on table fktable
DROPTABLE fktable; CREATE TEMP TABLE PKTABLE (ptest1 int, ptest2 inet,

--- 367,374 ---- -- As should this ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
pktable(ptest1); NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
check(s)
+ ERROR:  Relation "pg_temp_5"."" does not exist DROP TABLE pktable cascade; NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $1 on

Date:
Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
> SunOS control.shared2 5.7 Generic_106541-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
> shows an error in ALTER TABLE tests:

>   ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
> pktable(ptest1);
>   NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
> check(s)
> + ERROR:  Relation "pg_temp_5"."" does not exist

That's pretty bizarre.  Is it reproducible?  Can you get in there with a
debugger and try to figure out what's going wrong?
        regards, tom lane

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Manuel Sugawara
Date:
Guys,

postgresql7.3b1 does not build :-(, seems like a missing multibyte
directory

'----------------------------------------
| make[4]: Entering directory `/home/masm/download/postgresql-7.3b1/src/backend/utils/time'
| gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -I../../../../src/include   -c -o tqual.o tqual.c
| /usr/bin/ld -r -o SUBSYS.o tqual.o
| make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/masm/download/postgresql-7.3b1/src/backend/utils/time'
| make -C mb SUBSYS.o
| make: Entering an unknown directory
| make: *** mb: No such file or directory.  Stop.
| make: Leaving an unknown directory
| make[3]: *** [mb-recursive] Error 2
| make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/masm/download/postgresql-7.3b1/src/backend/utils'
| make[2]: *** [utils-recursive] Error 2
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/masm/download/postgresql-7.3b1/src/backend'
| make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/masm/download/postgresql-7.3b1/src'
| make: *** [all] Error 2
`----------------------------------------

or I'm missing something?

Regards,
Manuel.

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 11:19, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
> > SunOS control.shared2 5.7 Generic_106541-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
> > shows an error in ALTER TABLE tests:
>
> >   ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
> > pktable(ptest1);
> >   NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
> > check(s)
> > + ERROR:  Relation "pg_temp_5"."" does not exist
>
> That's pretty bizarre.  Is it reproducible?  Can you get in there with a
> debugger and try to figure out what's going wrong?

No, I've been unable to reproduce.

Re: beta1 packaged

Date:
Manuel Sugawara <masm@fciencias.unam.mx> writes:
> or I'm missing something?

So it would seem.  The utils/mb directory is certainly there in the full
tarball that I pulled from ftp.us.postgresql.org this morning.  How did
you acquire your source tree, exactly?
        regards, tom lane

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Manuel Sugawara
Date:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> So it would seem.  The utils/mb directory is certainly there in the full
> tarball that I pulled from ftp.us.postgresql.org this morning.  How did
> you acquire your source tree, exactly?

The file is postgresql-base-7.3b1.tar.gz from
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v7.3beta/

may be I need postgresql-7.3b1.tar.gz?

Regards,
Manuel.

--
No es que no puedan hallar la solución: es que no ven el problema.
G.K. Chesterson

Re: beta1 packaged

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On 5 Sep 2002, Manuel Sugawara wrote:

> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
> > So it would seem.  The utils/mb directory is certainly there in the full
> > tarball that I pulled from ftp.us.postgresql.org this morning.  How did
> > you acquire your source tree, exactly?
>
> The file is postgresql-base-7.3b1.tar.gz from
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v7.3beta/
>
> may be I need postgresql-7.3b1.tar.gz?

You need either the 7.3b1.tar.gz (which is everything), or you need to get
all the various -*- parts (which are more manageable)

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Manuel Sugawara
Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:

> You need either the 7.3b1.tar.gz (which is everything), or you need to get
> all the various -*- parts (which are more manageable)

Oh, well. Thanks

Regards,
Manuel.
--

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On 5 Sep 2002, Manuel Sugawara wrote:
>
> > Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> >
> > > So it would seem.  The utils/mb directory is certainly there in the full
> > > tarball that I pulled from ftp.us.postgresql.org this morning.  How did
> > > you acquire your source tree, exactly?
> >
> > The file is postgresql-base-7.3b1.tar.gz from
> > ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v7.3beta/
> >
> > may be I need postgresql-7.3b1.tar.gz?
>
> You need either the 7.3b1.tar.gz (which is everything), or you need to get
> all the various -*- parts (which are more manageable)

I am confused.  Are you saying the base file isn't compilable?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Manuel Sugawara
Date:

> > You need either the 7.3b1.tar.gz (which is everything), or you need to get
> > all the various -*- parts (which are more manageable)
>
> I am confused.  Are you saying the base file isn't compilable?

My idea was that it is.

Regards,
Manuel.

Re: beta1 packaged

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > The file is postgresql-base-7.3b1.tar.gz from
> > > ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v7.3beta/
> > >
> > > may be I need postgresql-7.3b1.tar.gz?
> >
> > You need either the 7.3b1.tar.gz (which is everything), or you need to get
> > all the various -*- parts (which are more manageable)
>
> I am confused.  Are you saying the base file isn't compilable?

Hrmm ... that is odd, now that you mention it ... but the file
'distributions' between v7.2 and v7.3beta appear to be the same, so -base-
was broken in the old one too?

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> I am confused.  Are you saying the base file isn't compilable?

The mb stuff is missing because it used to be optional in the old
splitting scheme.  Needs to be rethought.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> Scary, even with removing a load of stuff over to gborg, its still gotten
> bigger then the last release :)

Not hard to find the culprit:

7.2:

3.4M    src/backend/utils/mb

7.3:

9.6M    src/backend/utils/mb

--

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Hrmm ... that is odd, now that you mention it ... but the file
> 'distributions' between v7.2 and v7.3beta appear to be the same, so -base-
> was broken in the old one too?

It was never intended that the "base" tarfile was alone sufficient to do
anything, was it?
        regards, tom lane

Re: beta1 packaged

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > Hrmm ... that is odd, now that you mention it ... but the file
> > 'distributions' between v7.2 and v7.3beta appear to be the same, so -base-
> > was broken in the old one too?
>
> It was never intended that the "base" tarfile was alone sufficient to do
> anything, was it?

OK, so if base isn't compilable, then what is it good for?  I don't see
any add-on packages that would make it usable.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: beta1 packaged

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > Scary, even with removing a load of stuff over to gborg, its still gotten
> > bigger then the last release :)
>
> Not hard to find the culprit:
>
> 7.2:
>
> 3.4M    src/backend/utils/mb
>
> 7.3:
>
> 9.6M    src/backend/utils/mb

Wow.  Just checking my CVS, the /mb stuff appears to be 17% of our
source tree.  Now that they are loadable, can we get enough of it in the
base to make it compilable and leave the rest for the full tarball.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: beta1 packaged

Date:
> OK, so if base isn't compilable, then what is it good for?  I don't see
> any add-on packages that would make it usable.

AFAIR, the only reason for having the split packaging is to accommodate
people who are downloading across flaky connections --- less to retry if
your connection drops.  You still have to download all the data if you
want to have a useful package, no?
        regards, tom lane

Re: beta1 packaged

Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, so if base isn't compilable, then what is it good for?  I don't see
> > any add-on packages that would make it usable.
>
> AFAIR, the only reason for having the split packaging is to accommodate
> people who are downloading across flaky connections --- less to retry if
> your connection drops.  You still have to download all the data if you
> want to have a useful package, no?

That was not my understanding.  If that was the issue, we would release
packages numbered 1-5.  Marc splits them up saying if you don't want the
docs, don't download them.  I assume opt is /contrib.  My guess is he
had the multibyte stuff out in /opt but now they are required.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: beta1 packaged

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
0On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > OK, so if base isn't compilable, then what is it good for?  I don't see
> > any add-on packages that would make it usable.
>
> AFAIR, the only reason for having the split packaging is to accommodate
> people who are downloading across flaky connections --- less to retry if
> your connection drops.  You still have to download all the data if you
> want to have a useful package, no?

Correct ... even on high speed connections, I've had problems in the past
getting large files to download, so it makes it easier if you only have to
retry a part, instead of hte whole thing ...

Re: beta1 packaged

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > > OK, so if base isn't compilable, then what is it good for?  I don't see
> > > any add-on packages that would make it usable.
> >
> > AFAIR, the only reason for having the split packaging is to accommodate
> > people who are downloading across flaky connections --- less to retry if
> > your connection drops.  You still have to download all the data if you
> > want to have a useful package, no?
>
> That was not my understanding.  If that was the issue, we would release
> packages numbered 1-5.  Marc splits them up saying if you don't want the
> docs, don't download them.  I assume opt is /contrib.  My guess is he
> had the multibyte stuff out in /opt but now they are required.

Actually, I just asked for the split, I think it was peter that actually
did it ... :)

Re: beta1 packaged

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 0On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > > OK, so if base isn't compilable, then what is it good for?  I don't see
> > > any add-on packages that would make it usable.
> >
> > AFAIR, the only reason for having the split packaging is to accommodate
> > people who are downloading across flaky connections --- less to retry if
> > your connection drops.  You still have to download all the data if you
> > want to have a useful package, no?
>
> Correct ... even on high speed connections, I've had problems in the past
> getting large files to download, so it makes it easier if you only have to
> retry a part, instead of hte whole thing ...

Then why do we mark them with stuff.  Isn't it easier to just label them
1-5?  I can see the docs being split out, but I don't understand the
other splits.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 03:14, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 0On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > > OK, so if base isn't compilable, then what is it good for?  I don't see
> > > any add-on packages that would make it usable.
> >
> > AFAIR, the only reason for having the split packaging is to accommodate
> > people who are downloading across flaky connections --- less to retry if
> > your connection drops.  You still have to download all the data if you
> > want to have a useful package, no?
>
> Correct ... even on high speed connections, I've had problems in the past
> getting large files to download, so it makes it easier if you only have to
> retry a part, instead of hte whole thing ...

Most modern ftp servers and clients support resuming aborted downloads,
no ?

[hannu@rh72 DL]$ ncftp ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v7.3beta/
NcFTP 3.1.3 (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason (ncftp@ncftp.com).
Connecting to
64.49.215.8...
postgresql.org FTP server (lukemftpd 1.2 beta 1) ready.
Logging
in...
Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Logged in to
ftp.postgresql.org.
Current remote directory is /pub/source/v7.3beta.
ncftp /pub/source/v7.3beta > get postgresql-test-7.3b1.tar.gz
postgresql-test-7.3b1.tar.gz:   ETA: 0:03  0.63/  1.02 MB  131.44 kB/s

*** NB! I pressed ^C here

select: Interrupted system call
postgresql-test-7.3b1.tar.gz:              0.72/  1.02 MB  112.17 kB/s
get postgresql-test-7.3b1.tar.gz: data transfer aborted by local user.
ncftp /pub/source/v7.3beta > get postgresql-test-7.3b1.tar.gz

The local file "postgresql-test-7.3b1.tar.gz" already exists.   Local:        753768 bytes, dated Thu Sep 05 07:28:40
GMT-52002.   Remote:      1070154 bytes, dated Thu Sep 05 07:28:40 GMT-5 2002.

       [O]verwrite?  [R]esume?  [A]ppend to?  [S]kip?  [N]ew Name?       [O!]verwrite all?  [R!]esume all?  [S!]kip
all? [C]ancel  > R

postgresql-test-7.3b1.tar.gz:                            1.02 MB  112.59
kB/s
ncftp /pub/source/v7.3beta >

-----------
Hannu

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Giles Lean
Tom Lane writes:
> Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
> > SunOS control.shared2 5.7 Generic_106541-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
> > shows an error in ALTER TABLE tests:
>
> >   ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
> > pktable(ptest1);
> >   NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
> > check(s)
> > + ERROR:  Relation "pg_temp_5"."" does not exist
>
> That's pretty bizarre.  Is it reproducible?  Can you get in there with a
> debugger and try to figure out what's going wrong?

I saw a similar error on a NetBSD-1.5.1/i386 box, but have not been
able to reproduce it. Subsequent runs of 'gmake check' have all
passed.

Until I saw Rod's message I was thinking it was more evidence of
hardware flakiness with this particular machine, but perhaps not.

*** ./expected/alter_table.out  Sat Aug 31 05:23:20 2002
--- ./results/alter_table.out   Fri Sep  6 16:54:35 2002
***************
*** 332,337 ****
--- 332,338 ---- -- Try (and succeed) ALTER TABLE tmp3 add constraint tmpconstr foreign key (a) references tmp2 matc
h full; NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY check(s)
+ ERROR:  Relation "public"."^B^U&W<88><F0>0}" does not exist -- Try (and fail) to create constraint from tmp5(a) to
tmp4(a)- unique constr

aint on -- tmp4 is a,b ALTER TABLE tmp5 add constraint tmpconstr foreign key(a) references tmp4(a) ma
tch full;

Regards,

Giles

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> Actually, I just asked for the split, I think it was peter that actually
> did it ... :)

I recall that you thought of the split in order to save bandwidth for
those who didn't need everything.  It was expressedly intended that the
-base tarball was usable by itself and that you only needed the others if
you wanted any of the optional features (--with-* etc.).

But now that the optional stuff has mostly either gone away or isn't
optional anymore a revised split would come out pretty skewed:

-rw-r--r--    1 peter    users    10824414 Sep  6 23:21 postgresql-7.3b1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 peter    users     6675930 Sep  6 23:25 postgresql-base-7.3b1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 peter    users     2585621 Sep  6 23:30 postgresql-docs-7.3b1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 peter    users      485095 Sep  6 23:30 postgresql-opt-7.3b1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 peter    users     1072069 Sep  6 23:30 postgresql-test-7.3b1.tar.gz

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: beta1 packaged

Date:
Rod, are you still seeing this failure?

Rod Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 22:39, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > will announce it on -announce tomorrow, if ppl want to take a quick look
> > at it ... man pages weren't included, but I did regenerate the docs per
> > Peter's suggested commands ...
>
> './configure && make check' passes on i386 FreeBSD.
>
> SunOS control.shared2 5.7 Generic_106541-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
> shows an error in ALTER TABLE tests:
>

> c> cat src/test/regress/regression.diffs
> *** ./expected/alter_table.out  Fri Aug 30 12:23:20 2002
> --- ./results/alter_table.out   Thu Sep  5 07:44:18 2002
> ***************
> *** 367,374 ****
>   -- As should this
>   ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
> pktable(ptest1);
>   NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
> check(s)
>   DROP TABLE pktable cascade;
> - NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $2 on table fktable
>   NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $1 on table fktable
>   DROP TABLE fktable;
>   CREATE TEMP TABLE PKTABLE (ptest1 int, ptest2 inet,
> --- 367,374 ----
>   -- As should this
>   ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
> pktable(ptest1);
>   NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
> check(s)
> + ERROR:  Relation "pg_temp_5"."" does not exist
>   DROP TABLE pktable cascade;
>   NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $1 on table fktable
>   DROP TABLE fktable;
>   CREATE TEMP TABLE PKTABLE (ptest1 int, ptest2 inet,

Pennsylvania19073

Re: beta1 packaged

Date:
Yep, and he couldn't reproduce it either, and on a different platform.
I think that indicates we do have a problem in there, it just doesn't
show very often.  He even got ASCII garbage in the error message.

Rod Taylor wrote:
> I've not been able to reproduce it, so no.  But there was another report
> from someone else about the same failure on another platform.
>
> On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 22:50, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Rod, are you still seeing this failure?

> > Rod Taylor wrote:

> > > './configure && make check' passes on i386 FreeBSD.
> > >
> > > SunOS control.shared2 5.7 Generic_106541-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
> > > shows an error in ALTER TABLE tests:
> > >

> > > c> cat src/test/regress/regression.diffs
> > > *** ./expected/alter_table.out  Fri Aug 30 12:23:20 2002
> > > --- ./results/alter_table.out   Thu Sep  5 07:44:18 2002
> > > ***************
> > > *** 367,374 ****
> > >   -- As should this
> > >   ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
> > > pktable(ptest1);
> > >   NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
> > > check(s)
> > >   DROP TABLE pktable cascade;
> > > - NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $2 on table fktable
> > >   NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $1 on table fktable
> > >   DROP TABLE fktable;
> > >   CREATE TEMP TABLE PKTABLE (ptest1 int, ptest2 inet,
> > > --- 367,374 ----
> > >   -- As should this
> > >   ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
> > > pktable(ptest1);
> > >   NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
> > > check(s)
> > > + ERROR:  Relation "pg_temp_5"."" does not exist
> > >   DROP TABLE pktable cascade;
> > >   NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $1 on table fktable
> > >   DROP TABLE fktable;
> > >   CREATE TEMP TABLE PKTABLE (ptest1 int, ptest2 inet,
> > >
> > > ======================================================================

> > > TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> > >
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html
> > >

> > --
> >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 359-1001
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073
> >
> --
>   Rod Taylor

Pennsylvania19073

Re: beta1 packaged

Date:
> Yep, and he couldn't reproduce it either, and on a different platform.
> I think that indicates we do have a problem in there, it just doesn't
> show very often.

I agree, this looks a lot like a low-probability bug.  But how to attack
it when we can't reproduce it with even small probability?  We need the
reporters to try to figure out what environment made it happen for them.
I can chase a bug if I can make it happen one-time-in-ten, or even
one-time-in-a-hundred, but I can't do much with a bug that I've only
heard secondhand reports of.
        regards, tom lane

Re: beta1 packaged

Date:
Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au> writes:
>> Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
>>> ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
>>> pktable(ptest1);
>>> NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
>>> check(s)
>>> + ERROR:  Relation "pg_temp_5"."" does not exist
>>
>> That's pretty bizarre.  Is it reproducible?  Can you get in there with a
>> debugger and try to figure out what's going wrong?

> I saw a similar error on a NetBSD-1.5.1/i386 box, but have not been
> able to reproduce it. Subsequent runs of 'gmake check' have all
> passed.

> Until I saw Rod's message I was thinking it was more evidence of
> hardware flakiness with this particular machine, but perhaps not.

>   NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY check(s)
> + ERROR:  Relation "public"."^B^U&W<88><F0>0}" does not exist

I've applied the attached patch, which I think may cure these failures.
        regards, tom lane

*** src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c.orig    Wed Sep  4 17:30:18 2002
--- src/backend/commands/tablecmds.c    Thu Sep 12 17:06:58 2002
***************
*** 2920,2926 ****      * unfortunately).      */     myRel =
makeRangeVar(get_namespace_name(RelationGetNamespace(rel)),
!                          RelationGetRelationName(rel));      /*      * Preset objectAddress fields
--- 2920,2926 ----      * unfortunately).      */     myRel =
makeRangeVar(get_namespace_name(RelationGetNamespace(rel)),
!                          pstrdup(RelationGetRelationName(rel)));      /*      * Preset objectAddress fields

Re: beta1 packaged

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
I've not been able to reproduce it, so no.  But there was another report
from someone else about the same failure on another platform.

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 22:50, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Rod, are you still seeing this failure?

> Rod Taylor wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 22:39, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > >
> > > will announce it on -announce tomorrow, if ppl want to take a quick look
> > > at it ... man pages weren't included, but I did regenerate the docs per
> > > Peter's suggested commands ...
> >
> > './configure && make check' passes on i386 FreeBSD.
> >
> > SunOS control.shared2 5.7 Generic_106541-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
> > shows an error in ALTER TABLE tests:
> >

> > c> cat src/test/regress/regression.diffs
> > *** ./expected/alter_table.out  Fri Aug 30 12:23:20 2002
> > --- ./results/alter_table.out   Thu Sep  5 07:44:18 2002
> > ***************
> > *** 367,374 ****
> >   -- As should this
> >   ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
> > pktable(ptest1);
> >   NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
> > check(s)
> >   DROP TABLE pktable cascade;
> > - NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $2 on table fktable
> >   NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $1 on table fktable
> >   DROP TABLE fktable;
> >   CREATE TEMP TABLE PKTABLE (ptest1 int, ptest2 inet,
> > --- 367,374 ----
> >   -- As should this
> >   ALTER TABLE FKTABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY(ftest1) references
> > pktable(ptest1);
> >   NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY
> > check(s)
> > + ERROR:  Relation "pg_temp_5"."" does not exist
> >   DROP TABLE pktable cascade;
> >   NOTICE:  Drop cascades to constraint $1 on table fktable
> >   DROP TABLE fktable;
> >   CREATE TEMP TABLE PKTABLE (ptest1 int, ptest2 inet,

--  Rod Taylor