Bad Build

From
"Rod Taylor"
Date:
Current CVS of postgres is completely broken.

initdb fails with SIG11 during the 'creation of template1'

--debug doesn't show anything being written.

Several regression tests have postmaster crashing.

These appeared somewhere between 4 days ago and yesterday.

I'm afraid I really don't know where to start debugging the problem.
--
Rod Taylor

Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice
how restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The
opinions stated above are yours. You cannot imagine why you ever felt
otherwise.

Re: Bad Build

From
Greg Copeland
Date:
I get this from initdb:

[gcope@mouse pgsql]$ initdb
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"gcope".

Fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/src/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/local/src/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/local/src/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/local/src/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/local/src/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/src/pgsql/data/base/1...
/usr/bin/initdb: line 473:  1234 Broken pipe             cat
"$POSTGRES_BKI"
      1235                       | sed -e
"s/POSTGRES/$POSTGRES_SUPERUSERNAME/g" -e "s/ENCODING/$MULTIBYTEID/g"
      1236 Segmentation fault      | "$PGPATH"/postgres -boot -x1
$PGSQL_OPT $BACKEND_TALK_ARG template1

initdb failed.

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 10:39, Rod Taylor wrote:
> Current CVS of postgres is completely broken.
>
> initdb fails with SIG11 during the 'creation of template1'
>
> --debug doesn't show anything being written.
>
> Several regression tests have postmaster crashing.
>
> These appeared somewhere between 4 days ago and yesterday.
>
> I'm afraid I really don't know where to start debugging the problem.
> --
> Rod Taylor
>
> Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice
> how restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The
> opinions stated above are yours. You cannot imagine why you ever felt
> otherwise.

Re: Bad Build

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 11:39, Rod Taylor wrote:
> Current CVS of postgres is completely broken.

Yes, I see this as well. The likely culprit seems to be applying patches
that conflict with one another...

> I'm afraid I really don't know where to start debugging the problem.

Well, there is a shift/reduce conflict in gram.y; there may be other
problems, but that's the first one I saw.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: Bad Build

Date:
Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> writes:
> Yes, I see this as well.

By my count the breakage from the DOMAIN patch is:1 shift/reduce conflict in gram.y3 gcc warnings (at least one being
obviouslya bug)1 core dump during regression tests

Bruce, what in the heck were you doing applying this patch?  You knew
darn well it had not been meaningfully reviewed.  Not bothering to check
for compile problems or regression failures before applying is
unforgivably sloppy work.  I don't blame the submitter; I blame you,
who should have known better.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Bad Build

Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> writes:
> > Yes, I see this as well.
>
> By my count the breakage from the DOMAIN patch is:
>     1 shift/reduce conflict in gram.y
>     3 gcc warnings (at least one being obviously a bug)
>     1 core dump during regression tests
>
> Bruce, what in the heck were you doing applying this patch?  You knew
> darn well it had not been meaningfully reviewed.  Not bothering to check
> for compile problems or regression failures before applying is
> unforgivably sloppy work.  I don't blame the submitter; I blame you,
> who should have known better.

You can blame me all you want.  That was in the queue, and no one
objected, so I did my best.  If you don't want to forgive me, don't.

In fact, this whole indignation thing is starting to tire me. This is an
open-source project.  People do the best they can. Just make the best of
it and move on.

If this is the worst that has happened from my applying all those back
patches, I am happy.

I do compile tests regularly, and regression tests periodically.  I do
not do it for every patch but more for every batch of patches.

Now, if people would like the patch backed out, it can be easily done.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Bad Build

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> writes:
> > > Yes, I see this as well.
> >
> > By my count the breakage from the DOMAIN patch is:
> >  1 shift/reduce conflict in gram.y
> >  3 gcc warnings (at least one being obviously a bug)
> >  1 core dump during regression tests
> >
> > Bruce, what in the heck were you doing applying this patch?  You knew
> > darn well it had not been meaningfully reviewed.  Not bothering to check
> > for compile problems or regression failures before applying is
> > unforgivably sloppy work.  I don't blame the submitter; I blame you,
> > who should have known better.
>
> You can blame me all you want.  That was in the queue, and no one
> objected, so I did my best.  If you don't want to forgive me, don't.
>
> In fact, this whole indignation thing is starting to tire me. This is an
> open-source project.  People do the best they can. Just make the best of
> it and move on.
>
> If this is the worst that has happened from my applying all those back
> patches, I am happy.
   Sorry  Bruce,  but just because your patch queue is very long   due to the delays in the 7.2 release cycle is  no
excuse to   work sloppy now.  Rushing things in is not the solution.

Jan

Re: Bad Build

Jan Wieck wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > > By my count the breakage from the DOMAIN patch is:
> > >  1 shift/reduce conflict in gram.y
> > >  3 gcc warnings (at least one being obviously a bug)
> > >  1 core dump during regression tests
> > >
> > > Bruce, what in the heck were you doing applying this patch?  You knew
> > > darn well it had not been meaningfully reviewed.  Not bothering to check
> > > for compile problems or regression failures before applying is
> > > unforgivably sloppy work.  I don't blame the submitter; I blame you,
> > > who should have known better.
> >
> > You can blame me all you want.  That was in the queue, and no one
> > objected, so I did my best.  If you don't want to forgive me, don't.
> >
> > In fact, this whole indignation thing is starting to tire me. This is an
> > open-source project.  People do the best they can. Just make the best of
> > it and move on.
> >
> > If this is the worst that has happened from my applying all those back
> > patches, I am happy.
>
>     Sorry  Bruce,  but just because your patch queue is very long
>     due to the delays in the 7.2 release cycle is  no  excuse  to
>     work sloppy now.  Rushing things in is not the solution.

No, this was not in a very old patch.  First patch appeared late
February, there was discussion, a second patch appeared early March, and
there was no discussion on it.  The patch had a file of sample queries,
and someone else had even submitted a psql patch based on the feature.
So, actually, it looked pretty good.

In fact, the patch did have a compile problem when applied because it
used our commandTag that isn't used anymore in that place, so I fixed
it.

However, that wasn't really my issue.  I am happy to back out anything,
and have does so for both patches listed above.  I will contact the
authors and get an updated version that we can discuss and request more
testing.

My issue is that trying to blame someone isn't the proper way to address
these issues.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Bad Build

From
Fernando Nasser
Date:
In GDB we have this notion of a "write after approval" list,
so more people can be given write access to the repository with
the condition that they can only check things in after someone
(which is entitled to do so) approves the patch.  This reduces
the burden on the person who has to check in things for everyone else.

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300

Re: Bad Build

From
"Rod Taylor"
Date:
> In fact, the patch did have a compile problem when applied because
it
> used our commandTag that isn't used anymore in that place, so I
fixed
> it.

Speaking of which, whats the proper way to do this?  I get ??? after
all commands now.

Re: Bad Build

Date:
Rod Taylor wrote:
> > In fact, the patch did have a compile problem when applied because
> it
> > used our commandTag that isn't used anymore in that place, so I
> fixed
> > it.
>
> Speaking of which, whats the proper way to do this?  I get ??? after
> all commands now.

Good question.  I see commandTag set to "CREATE" in many places in
postgres.c. I believe you need to add an additional 'case' for the
domain stuff.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Bad Build

From
Greg Copeland
Date:
If I do "initdb" with the "-d" option, postgres will crash during the
bootstrap.  I think it's because postgres is attempting to strlen(NULL)
while trying to build a string during it's option parsing.

This happen for anyone else?

Greg

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 22:26, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 11:39, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > Current CVS of postgres is completely broken.
>
> Yes, I see this as well. The likely culprit seems to be applying patches
> that conflict with one another...
>
> > I'm afraid I really don't know where to start debugging the problem.
>
> Well, there is a shift/reduce conflict in gram.y; there may be other
> problems, but that's the first one I saw.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
> PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

Re: Bad Build

From
Fernando Nasser
Date:
Greg Copeland wrote:

> If I do "initdb" with the "-d" option, postgres will crash during the
> bootstrap.  I think it's because postgres is attempting to strlen(NULL)
> while trying to build a string during it's option parsing.
>
> This happen for anyone else?
>
> Greg

Yes, but it is fixed now.  cvs update -d -P should solve it.

> On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 22:26, Neil Conway wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 11:39, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > > Current CVS of postgres is completely broken.
> >
> > Yes, I see this as well. The likely culprit seems to be applying patches
> > that conflict with one another...
> >
> > > I'm afraid I really don't know where to start debugging the problem.
> >
> > Well, there is a shift/reduce conflict in gram.y; there may be other
> > problems, but that's the first one I saw.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Neil
> >
> > --
> > Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>
> > PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

>                        Name: signature.asc
>    signature.asc       Type: application/pgp-signature

Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300
Toronto, Ontario   M4P 2C9

Re: Bad Build

Date:
Greg Copeland wrote:

Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> If I do "initdb" with the "-d" option, postgres will crash during the
> bootstrap.  I think it's because postgres is attempting to strlen(NULL)
> while trying to build a string during it's option parsing.
>
> This happen for anyone else?

Yes, I see that here.  Let me look at it.  It may have to do with the
elog() changes.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Bad Build

From
Greg Copeland
Date:
Guess I failed to mention that I had just done an update and rebuild
just minutes prior to reporting it.

Greg

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 16:37, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Greg Copeland wrote:
>
> Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > If I do "initdb" with the "-d" option, postgres will crash during the
> > bootstrap.  I think it's because postgres is attempting to strlen(NULL)
> > while trying to build a string during it's option parsing.
> >
> > This happen for anyone else?
>
> Yes, I see that here.  Let me look at it.  It may have to do with the
> elog() changes.

Re: Bad Build

Date:
Greg Copeland wrote:

Checking application/pgp-signature: FAILURE
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Guess I failed to mention that I had just done an update and rebuild
> just minutes prior to reporting it.

Yes, I see initdb -d failures here with current CVS.  Investigating.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Bad Build

Date:
Greg Copeland <greg@CopelandConsulting.Net> writes:
> If I do "initdb" with the "-d" option, postgres will crash during the
> bootstrap.  I think it's because postgres is attempting to strlen(NULL)
> while trying to build a string during it's option parsing.

Fixed --- problem was bad option information passed to getopt().
        regards, tom lane

Re: Bad Build

Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Copeland <greg@CopelandConsulting.Net> writes:
> > If I do "initdb" with the "-d" option, postgres will crash during the
> > bootstrap.  I think it's because postgres is attempting to strlen(NULL)
> > while trying to build a string during it's option parsing.
>
> Fixed --- problem was bad option information passed to getopt().

Yes, I suspected it was somewhere in there but had to run out for an
hour.  Was just looking at it.  Before bootstrap just took -d while it
now takes '-d level'.  I was sure I missed something and I see now it
was getopt().  Thanks.

Pennsylvania19026