Re: Bad Build - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Bad Build
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > > By my count the breakage from the DOMAIN patch is:
> > >  1 shift/reduce conflict in gram.y
> > >  3 gcc warnings (at least one being obviously a bug)
> > >  1 core dump during regression tests
> > >
> > > Bruce, what in the heck were you doing applying this patch?  You knew
> > > darn well it had not been meaningfully reviewed.  Not bothering to check
> > > for compile problems or regression failures before applying is
> > > unforgivably sloppy work.  I don't blame the submitter; I blame you,
> > > who should have known better.
> >
> > You can blame me all you want.  That was in the queue, and no one
> > objected, so I did my best.  If you don't want to forgive me, don't.
> >
> > In fact, this whole indignation thing is starting to tire me. This is an
> > open-source project.  People do the best they can. Just make the best of
> > it and move on.
> >
> > If this is the worst that has happened from my applying all those back
> > patches, I am happy.
>
>     Sorry  Bruce,  but just because your patch queue is very long
>     due to the delays in the 7.2 release cycle is  no  excuse  to
>     work sloppy now.  Rushing things in is not the solution.

No, this was not in a very old patch.  First patch appeared late
February, there was discussion, a second patch appeared early March, and
there was no discussion on it.  The patch had a file of sample queries,
and someone else had even submitted a psql patch based on the feature.
So, actually, it looked pretty good.

In fact, the patch did have a compile problem when applied because it
used our commandTag that isn't used anymore in that place, so I fixed
it.

However, that wasn't really my issue.  I am happy to back out anything,
and have does so for both patches listed above.  I will contact the
authors and get an updated version that we can discuss and request more
testing.

My issue is that trying to blame someone isn't the proper way to address
these issues.

Pennsylvania19026