PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
For Immediate Release                February 5th, 2002

    After almost a full year of development since PostgreSQL v7.1 was
released, the PostgreSQL Global Development Group is proud to announce the
availability of our latest development milestone ... PostgreSQL v7.2,
another step forward for the project.

    A full list of changes to v7.2 can be found in the HISTORY file,
included with the release, as well as under all ftp mirrors as:

        /pub/README.v7_2

    Highlights of this release are as follows:

   VACUUM
           Vacuuming no longer locks tables, thus allowing normal user
           access during the vacuum. A new "VACUUM FULL" command does
           old-style vacuum by locking the table and shrinking the on-disk
           copy of the table.

   Transactions
           There is no longer a problem with installations that exceed
           four billion transactions.

   OID's
           OID's are now optional. Users can now create tables without
           OID's for cases where OID usage is excessive.

   Optimizer
           The system now computes histogram column statistics during
           "ANALYZE", allowing much better optimizer choices.

   Security
           A new MD5 encryption option allows more secure storage and
           transfer of passwords. A new Unix-domain socket authentication
           option is available on Linux and BSD systems.

   Statistics
           Administrators can use the new table access statistics module
           to get fine-grained information about table and index usage.

   Internationalization
           Program and library messages can now be displayed in several
           languages.

    .. with many many more bug fixes, enhancements and performance
related changes ...

    Source for this release is available on all mirrors under:

        /pub/source/v7.2

    As always, any bugs with this release should be reported to
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org ... and, as with all point releases, this
release requires a complete dump and reload from previous releases, due to
internal structure changes ...

Marc G. Fournier
Co-ordinator
PostgreSQL Global Development Group

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:

RPMs for Red Hat Linux 7.2 can be found at http://people.redhat.com/teg/pg/

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 18:15, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>
> > For Immediate Release                February 5th, 2002
> >
> >     After almost a full year of development since PostgreSQL v7.1 was
> > released, the PostgreSQL Global Development Group is proud to announce the
> > availability of our latest development milestone ... PostgreSQL v7.2,
> > another step forward for the project.
>
> RPMs for Red Hat Linux 7.2 can be found at http://people.redhat.com/teg/pg/

Why is just plperl included ?

What about pl/python and pl/tcl (I hope pl/pgsql is there somewhere) ?

--------------
Hannu

Date:
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:

> On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 18:15, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> > "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> >
> > > For Immediate Release                February 5th, 2002
> > >
> > >     After almost a full year of development since PostgreSQL v7.1 was
> > > released, the PostgreSQL Global Development Group is proud to announce the
> > > availability of our latest development milestone ... PostgreSQL v7.2,
> > > another step forward for the project.
> >
> > RPMs for Red Hat Linux 7.2 can be found at http://people.redhat.com/teg/pg/
>
> Why is just plperl included ?
>
> What about pl/python

There is no shared python library. Linking in static libraries in
dynamic extensions doesn't work on most platforms.

> and pl/tcl (I hope pl/pgsql is there somewhere) ?

The postgresql-tcl package contains that, FTTB, but tcl is pretty much
dead anyway...
--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Tuesday 05 February 2002 12:07 pm, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Why is just plperl included ?

> What about pl/python and pl/tcl (I hope pl/pgsql is there somewhere) ?

pl/pgsql is in the base server package.
pl/tcl is in the tcl subpackage, although that might not be a good thing.

What is required to build pl/python?  Last I heard is was halfway
experimental?
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain"
Date:
* Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@postgresql.org> [020205 11:10]:

> For Immediate Release                February 5th, 2002
>
>     After almost a full year of development since PostgreSQL v7.1 was
> released, the PostgreSQL Global Development Group is proud to announce the
> availability of our latest development milestone ... PostgreSQL v7.2,
> another step forward for the project.

Woo hoo!

Can I start putting changes into the PyGreSQL module or do we want to
give it a few days to shake the immediate bugs out?

Kudos all around, btw.  This looks like a really nice release.

Date:
On Tuesday 05 February 2002 12:11 pm, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> > What about pl/python

> There is no shared python library. Linking in static libraries in
> dynamic extensions doesn't work on most platforms.

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

Oh, I'm building NLS-capable RPM's as I write this; expect an upload shortly.
The NLS file list mechanism munged the execute permission for the initscript,
so I had to track that down before release.  Hopefully this last build will
have the right perms.

I even have the release announcement composed in kmail waiting for a fully
successful build.....
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Date:
On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 19:11, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:

> > > RPMs for Red Hat Linux 7.2 can be found at http://people.redhat.com/teg/pg/
> >
> > Why is just plperl included ?
> >
> > What about pl/python
>
> There is no shared python library. Linking in static libraries in
> dynamic extensions doesn't work on most platforms.

Does that mean that one can't run pl/python on Redhat 7.2 ??

I was hoping that all the work that went into fixing various flaws in
pl/python during 7.2 development would result in it being available in
binary distributions too...

-----------------
Hannu

Date:
On 5 Feb 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 19:11, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> > Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:

> > > Why is just plperl included ?
> > >
> > > What about pl/python
> >
> > There is no shared python library. Linking in static libraries in
> > dynamic extensions doesn't work on most platforms.
>
> Does that mean that one can't run pl/python on Redhat 7.2 ??

On IA32, it will work (with a performance penalty, "thou shall not use
static libraries in dynamic extensions"), on other archs (alpha, IA64,
S/390) it will die.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Date:
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 February 2002 12:11 pm, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> > Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> > > What about pl/python
>
> > There is no shared python library. Linking in static libraries in
> > dynamic extensions doesn't work on most platforms.
>
> That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

FWIW, the python rpms in Rawhide have static libraries, but are compiled
with -fPIC. Thus, they can actually be used in this way...

> Oh, I'm building NLS-capable RPM's as I write this; expect an upload shortly.
> The NLS file list mechanism munged the execute permission for the initscript,
> so I had to track that down before release.  Hopefully this last build will
> have the right perms.

I need to sync up after that, before I do some more fixes to the
initscript.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Date:
On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 19:51, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> > > There is no shared python library. Linking in static libraries in
> > > dynamic extensions doesn't work on most platforms.
> >
> > Does that mean that one can't run pl/python on Redhat 7.2 ??
>
> On IA32, it will work (with a performance penalty, "thou shall not use
> static libraries in dynamic extensions"),

Any estimate how big the penalty is ?

Also is it just a load-time penalty or continuous ?

-------------
Hannu

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

Date:
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> Can I start putting changes into the PyGreSQL module or do we want to
> give it a few days to shake the immediate bugs out?

Don't check in any 7.3 development until we split off a CVS branch for
7.2 maintenance.  We'll probably wait at least a week before we do that;
longer if it looks like there are lots of problems...

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

>     After almost a full year of development since PostgreSQL v7.1 was
> released, the PostgreSQL Global Development Group is proud to announce the
> availability of our latest development milestone ... PostgreSQL v7.2,
> another step forward for the project.

Are you going to put some announcements on web sites such as freshmeat,
linuxpr, bsdtoday?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
Matthew Rice
Date:
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød) writes:
> ... but tcl is pretty much dead anyway...

You have no idea how wrong you are.
--
matthew rice <matt@starnix.com>                               starnix inc.
phone: 905-771-0017                             thornhill, ontario, canada

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
Brett Schwarz
Date:
> There is no shared python library. Linking in static libraries in
> dynamic extensions doesn't work on most platforms.
>
> > and pl/tcl (I hope pl/pgsql is there somewhere) ?
>
> The postgresql-tcl package contains that, FTTB, but tcl is pretty much
> dead anyway...

Please refrain from language flames...the pgsql lists are exceptional
lists that really don't need this pollution.

thanks,

    --brett

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
working through those today ...

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> >     After almost a full year of development since PostgreSQL v7.1 was
> > released, the PostgreSQL Global Development Group is proud to announce the
> > availability of our latest development milestone ... PostgreSQL v7.2,
> > another step forward for the project.
>
> Are you going to put some announcements on web sites such as freshmeat,
> linuxpr, bsdtoday?
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
[after delays....]
On Tuesday 05 February 2002 11:01 am, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>     Source for this release is available on all mirrors under:

>         /pub/source/v7.2

RPMs for PostgreSQL 7.2 available as soon as the mirrors propagate in
/pub/binary/v7.2/RPMS

BIG NOTE:
Due to RPM's versioning scheme, and my unwillingness to further obfuscate the
versioning with Epoch or Serial tags, if you have be running the beta or
release candidate RPMs of 7.2 you will need to use the '--oldpackage' switch
to the rpm command line.

Please read the README.rpm-dist and CHANGELOG files in the above referenced
directory for more information.

Bug reports to either pgsql-bugs or pgsql-ports, please.

RPMs for redhat-6.2 will be available shortly.  Note that you may need to
update OS utilities to rebuild from source on Red Hat 6.2.  An updated patch
utility is known to be necessary.

Sorry for the delay in getting these posted -- I had them built yesterday
morning, but couldn't upload to ftp.postgresql.org dueto some server problem
there.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
mlw
Date:
Brett Schwarz wrote:

> > There is no shared python library. Linking in static libraries in
> > dynamic extensions doesn't work on most platforms.
> >
> > > and pl/tcl (I hope pl/pgsql is there somewhere) ?
> >
> > The postgresql-tcl package contains that, FTTB, but tcl is pretty much
> > dead anyway...
>
> Please refrain from language flames...the pgsql lists are exceptional
> lists that really don't need this pollution.

You think language flames are bad? Try the perennial GPL vs BSD flame.
Every few months or so we have a storm of hundreds of posts proclaiming
the merits of GPL or BSD. A language debate would be mild by comparison.

Date:
On Wednesday 06 February 2002 09:36 am, Lamar Owen wrote:
> RPMs for PostgreSQL 7.2 available as soon as the mirrors propagate in
> /pub/binary/v7.2/RPMS

> RPMs for redhat-6.2 will be available shortly.  Note that you may need to
> update OS utilities to rebuild from source on Red Hat 6.2.  An updated
> patch utility is known to be necessary.

Thanks to Dr. Rich Shepard, we have Red Hat 6.2 binary RPMs, built for i386,
i586, and i686 architectures.  If there is demand, I will attempt a build for
SuSE 7.3 on UltraSPARC.  I also am looking at Caldera builds (thanks to Larry
Rosenman).  Mandrake 8.0 RPMs should be built shortly, thanks to Justin Clift.

Thomas Lockhart typically does Mandrake 7.2.  For Thomas and other PostgreSQL
developers who are members of the pgsql group on the dev server, the dirs are
g+w for the binaries.

Exciting times!
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
Turbo Fredriksson
Date:
Quoting "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>:

> For Immediate Release                February 5th, 2002
>
>    Security
>            A new MD5 encryption option allows more secure storage and
>            transfer of passwords. A new Unix-domain socket authentication
>            option is available on Linux and BSD systems.

First question:
       Is this backport(-able/-ed) to 7.1.3?

Second question:
       Is 7.2 ready for production?

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2 Final Release

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@bayour.com> writes:

> Quoting "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>:
>
> > For Immediate Release                February 5th, 2002
> >
> >    Security
> >            A new MD5 encryption option allows more secure storage and
> >            transfer of passwords. A new Unix-domain socket authentication
> >            option is available on Linux and BSD systems.
>
> First question:
>
>         Is this backport(-able/-ed) to 7.1.3?

If you're referring to the unix-socket authentication, the Debian
patch for 7.1.X is where it came from--it wasn't in mainline until
7.2.

> Second question:
>
>         Is 7.2 ready for production?

The developers obviously think so.  Whether it's true for you, who
knows?  You should probably test it, or wait a few weeks to see if any
show-stopper bugs are turned up by the early adopters.  ;)

-Doug
--
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.  --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Date:
   Doug> Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@bayour.com> writes:   >> Quoting "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>:   >>
>>> For Immediate Release February 5th, 2002   >> >    >> > Security > A new MD5 encryption option allows more secure
>>storage and > transfer of passwords. A new Unix-domain socket   >> authentication > option is available on Linux and
BSDsystems.   >>    >> First question:   >>    >> Is this backport(-able/-ed) to 7.1.3?

   Doug> If you're referring to the unix-socket authentication, the   Doug> Debian patch for 7.1.X is where it came
from--itwasn't in   Doug> mainline until 7.2.

I was more refering to the on-disk encrypted password. A user (which
have root) found the password in two minutes with grep...
   >> Is 7.2 ready for production?
   Doug> The developers obviously think so.

Good enough. I'll download it and try it out then. Thanx.

Albanian killed subway explosion president Treasury Ft. Meade Iran
World Trade Center BATF Panama ammunition nitrate CIA smuggle