PostgreSQL v7.2b5 Released

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Good morning ...

    On the 14th of January, 2002, the PostgreSQL Global Development
Group packaged up and released v7.2b5 (and, hopefully, our last beta) of
our upcoming release.

    Release Candidate 1, baring any major bug reports from Beta5, is
schedualed for packaging and release on Friday, January 18th, with Full
Release a week later if all remains quiet.

    Although primarily a documentation and packaging related release,
there are several fixes for bugs reported in v7.2b4.

    For a complete listing of changes since v7.2b4, as well as the
newest source code, please go to:

        ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/beta

    !!!!WARNING!!!!       !!!!WARNING!!!!      !!!!WARNING!!!!

    Altho we try hard to keep this from happening, due to some
        internal changes, this release *requires* a full
        dump/initdb/reload from previous v7.2 betas ...

    !!!!WARNING!!!!       !!!!WARNING!!!!      !!!!WARNING!!!!

    Bug reports, as always, should be directed to
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org, and the severity of all bugs reported will
determine whether we move to the release cycle, or do another Beta, so we
encourage as many administrators as possible to test this current release.

Marc G. Fournier
Coordinator, PGDG

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2b5 Released

From
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:

> Good morning ...
>
>     On the 14th of January, 2002, the PostgreSQL Global Development
> Group packaged up and released v7.2b5 (and, hopefully, our last beta) of
> our upcoming release.

RPMs for Red Hat Linux 7.2 are available at
http://people.redhat.com/teg/pg/

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

PostgreSQL v7.2rc2 Released

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
 Good morning ...

     On the 26th of January, 2002, the PostgreSQL Global Development
 Group packaged up and released v7.2rc2 of our upcoming release.  rc1 was
 released as a 'hackers-only' release, since there were several bugs quickly
 found ...

     Although primarily a documentation and packaging related release,
 there are several fixes for bugs reported in v7.2b5 and v7.2rc1 (not formally
 released).

     For a complete listing of changes since v7.2b5, as well as the
 newest source code, please go to:

         ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/beta

    Note that this release does not require a full reload from b5, but,
 as b5 did require one, anyone upgrading from an earlier version *will*
 require one to go to RC1 ...

     Bug reports, as always, should be directed to
 pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org, and the severity of all bugs reported will
 determine whether we move to the release cycle, or do another Beta, so we
 encourage as many administrators as possible to test this current release.

 Marc G. Fournier
 Coordinator, PGDG

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2rc2 Released

From
Don Baccus
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>  Good morning ...
>
>      On the 26th of January, 2002, the PostgreSQL Global Development
>  Group packaged up and released v7.2rc2 of our upcoming release.  rc1 was
>  released as a 'hackers-only' release, since there were several bugs quickly
>  found ...

I have to admit to a certain curiosity.  Who attended the Ouiji-board
session that predicted that several bugs would be found quickly,
requiring RC1 to be a "hackers-only" release instead of a real one?

OK, I can't type understandable prose any better than anyone else here,
but I did find the wording entertaining.

(And, Marc, please don't take offense, that's not the intent).

--
Don Baccus
Portland, OR

Date:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Don Baccus wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> >  Good morning ...
> >
> >      On the 26th of January, 2002, the PostgreSQL Global Development
> >  Group packaged up and released v7.2rc2 of our upcoming release.  rc1 was
> >  released as a 'hackers-only' release, since there were several bugs quickly
> >  found ...
>

> I have to admit to a certain curiosity.  Who attended the Ouiji-board
> session that predicted that several bugs would be found quickly,
> requiring RC1 to be a "hackers-only" release instead of a real one?
>
> OK, I can't type understandable prose any better than anyone else here,
> but I did find the wording entertaining.
>
> (And, Marc, please don't take offense, that's not the intent).

No offense .. the usual release procedure is to roll the tar ball, put it
on hackers for ~24hrs for limited testing, before a more formal release
... some of the folks at Redhat picks up a couple of issues within that
24hr period that needs to be fixed before that more formal release, so we
just held off, fixed those and re-rolled as rc2 in case some ppl had
picked up rc1 without the release announcements :)

Re: PostgreSQL v7.2rc2 Released

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Sunday 27 January 2002 12:49 am, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>      On the 26th of January, 2002, the PostgreSQL Global Development
>  Group packaged up and released v7.2rc2 of our upcoming release.  rc1 was
>  released as a 'hackers-only' release, since there were several bugs
> quickly found ...

>     Note that this release does not require a full reload from b5, but,
>  as b5 did require one, anyone upgrading from an earlier version *will*
>  require one to go to RC1 ...

Pre-release RPMS are available for this release candidate at
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/beta/RPMS

Binary RPMs built on Red Hat 7.2/Intel.

As the last beta RPMs WERE beta 3, a dump/reload is *required*.

These are pre-release RPMs.  Regression passes (with the 'expected' failures
due to RHL's locale settings and the manner in which the regression tests are
built and run in this environment.).

Questions to pgsql-ports@postgresql.org.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Date:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:

>  Good morning ...
>
>      On the 26th of January, 2002, the PostgreSQL Global Development
>  Group packaged up and released v7.2rc2 of our upcoming release.  rc1 was
>  released as a 'hackers-only' release, since there were several bugs quickly
>  found ...
>
>      Although primarily a documentation and packaging related release,
>  there are several fixes for bugs reported in v7.2b5 and v7.2rc1 (not formally
>  released).

Builds fine, all regression tests succeed on a Rawhideish system
(bleeding edge components) as as on Red Hat Linux 7.2.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.