Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL v7.2rc2 Released - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL v7.2rc2 Released
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Don Baccus wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> >  Good morning ...
> >
> >      On the 26th of January, 2002, the PostgreSQL Global Development
> >  Group packaged up and released v7.2rc2 of our upcoming release.  rc1 was
> >  released as a 'hackers-only' release, since there were several bugs quickly
> >  found ...
>

> I have to admit to a certain curiosity.  Who attended the Ouiji-board
> session that predicted that several bugs would be found quickly,
> requiring RC1 to be a "hackers-only" release instead of a real one?
>
> OK, I can't type understandable prose any better than anyone else here,
> but I did find the wording entertaining.
>
> (And, Marc, please don't take offense, that's not the intent).

No offense .. the usual release procedure is to roll the tar ball, put it
on hackers for ~24hrs for limited testing, before a more formal release
... some of the folks at Redhat picks up a couple of issues within that
24hr period that needs to be fixed before that more formal release, so we
just held off, fixed those and re-rolled as rc2 in case some ppl had
picked up rc1 without the release announcements :)