RC1 time?

Date:
Looking at my mailbox, I see _no_ open items for 7.2.  Is this a good
time for RC1?  Tom, can you apply that lwlock patch you are holding?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: RC1 time?

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Looking at my mailbox, I see _no_ open items for 7.2.  Is this a good
> > time for RC1?  Tom, can you apply that lwlock patch you are holding?
>
> Aside from the lwlock business, Karel seems to be seeing some problem
> in to_timestamp/to_date.

I thought Karel sent in a to_date patch yesterday that you applied.  Was
there another issue?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: RC1 time?

Date:
> Looking at my mailbox, I see _no_ open items for 7.2.  Is this a good
> time for RC1?  Tom, can you apply that lwlock patch you are holding?

Aside from the lwlock business, Karel seems to be seeing some problem
in to_timestamp/to_date.

I agree we're close though.  Anyone object to RC1 this weekend?
        regards, tom lane

Re: RC1 time?

Date:
>> Aside from the lwlock business, Karel seems to be seeing some problem
>> in to_timestamp/to_date.

> I thought Karel sent in a to_date patch yesterday that you applied.  Was
> there another issue?

Yes.  He reported something that looked a lot like a DST boundary
problem, except it wasn't on a DST boundary date.  Thomas thought it
might be a consequence of the timestamp-vs-timestamptz change from
7.1 to 7.2.  See http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1345390

(BTW, is anyone else noticing that fts.postgresql.org is missing an
awful lot of traffic?  For example, I can't get it to show Thomas'
comment on the above-mentioned thread; and that is *VERY* far from
being its only omission lately.)
        regards, tom lane

Re: RC1 time?

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Aside from the lwlock business, Karel seems to be seeing some problem
> >> in to_timestamp/to_date.
>
> > I thought Karel sent in a to_date patch yesterday that you applied.  Was
> > there another issue?
>
> Yes.  He reported something that looked a lot like a DST boundary
> problem, except it wasn't on a DST boundary date.  Thomas thought it
> might be a consequence of the timestamp-vs-timestamptz change from
> 7.1 to 7.2.  See http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1345390

Oh, I didn't realize that was a valid issue that needed attention.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: RC1 time?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Aside from the lwlock business, Karel seems to be seeing some problem
> >> in to_timestamp/to_date.
>
> > I thought Karel sent in a to_date patch yesterday that you applied.  Was
> > there another issue?
>
> Yes.  He reported something that looked a lot like a DST boundary
> problem, except it wasn't on a DST boundary date.  Thomas thought it
> might be a consequence of the timestamp-vs-timestamptz change from
> 7.1 to 7.2.  See http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1345390
>
> (BTW, is anyone else noticing that fts.postgresql.org is missing an
> awful lot of traffic?  For example, I can't get it to show Thomas'
> comment on the above-mentioned thread; and that is *VERY* far from
> being its only omission lately.)

there were a *lot of troubles* with fts.postgresql.org connected with
moving to new server, which is far from my dream computer :-)
We hope to restore all messages we lost in transition period
(we have to take into account references between postings must be persistent !).
btw, if somebody could donate a server dedicated for rapidly growing
mailing list archive (already > 300,000 messages) ? fts.postgresql.org
id currently awfull slow !

>             regards, tom lane

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: RC1 time?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> btw, if somebody could donate a server dedicated for rapidly growing
> mailing list archive (already > 300,000 messages) ? fts.postgresql.org
> id currently awfull slow !

Or wants to spring for the memory upgrade?  The server is better then we
had before, but memory is half of what it was ...

Re: RC1 time?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Aside from the lwlock business, Karel seems to be seeing some problem
> >> in to_timestamp/to_date.
>
> > I thought Karel sent in a to_date patch yesterday that you applied.  Was
> > there another issue?
>
> Yes.  He reported something that looked a lot like a DST boundary
> problem, except it wasn't on a DST boundary date.  Thomas thought it
> might be a consequence of the timestamp-vs-timestamptz change from
> 7.1 to 7.2.  See http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1345390
>
> (BTW, is anyone else noticing that fts.postgresql.org is missing an
> awful lot of traffic?  For example, I can't get it to show Thomas'
> comment on the above-mentioned thread; and that is *VERY* far from
> being its only omission lately.)

We just moved it from the old server (that I have to shut down) to the new
one at Rackspace ... the one thing I have to do over the next short period
of time is to spring for a memory upgrade on that machine though, as
512Meg just doesn't cut it :(

Re: RC1 time?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > I thought Karel sent in a to_date patch yesterday that you applied.  Was
> > > there another issue?
> >
> > Yes.  He reported something that looked a lot like a DST boundary
> > problem, except it wasn't on a DST boundary date.  Thomas thought it
> > might be a consequence of the timestamp-vs-timestamptz change from
> > 7.1 to 7.2.  See http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1345390
> >
> > (BTW, is anyone else noticing that fts.postgresql.org is missing an
> > awful lot of traffic?  For example, I can't get it to show Thomas'
> > comment on the above-mentioned thread; and that is *VERY* far from
> > being its only omission lately.)
>
> We just moved it from the old server (that I have to shut down) to the new
> one at Rackspace ... the one thing I have to do over the next short period
> of time is to spring for a memory upgrade on that machine though, as
> 512Meg just doesn't cut it :(

I see on db.postgresql.org

> vmstat -w 5procs      memory      page                    disks     faults      cpur b w     avm    fre  flt  re  pi
po fr  sr da0 da1   in   sy  cs us sy id0 17 0  471224  28184  369   3   4   2 325 334   0   0  331  401 182 29  2 69

0 19 0  414556  19272  644   1   1   0 546   0   0 172  461  823 290  1  2 971 19 0  414788  23940  459   4   4   1 474
615  1 170  454  734 286  0  2 981 20 0  428592  26912  372   3  14   0 433 592   6 182  480  790 296  1  2 972 19 0
458688 30164  318   3   9   0 423 592   3 177  463  787 289  1  2 971 17 0  446848  24196  303   2   4   0 454   0   2
177 463  878 294  1  2 970 18 0  452432  29404  228   1   3   2 324 633   2 184  472  842 305  2  4 940 19 0  449724
21860 200  14   6   0 508   0   1 188  473  702 283  0  2 98

disk activity is very bad, probably not balanced. I catch a moment
when fts.postgresql.org was slow.

Date:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > Yes.  He reported something that looked a lot like a DST boundary
> > > problem, except it wasn't on a DST boundary date.  Thomas thought it
> > > might be a consequence of the timestamp-vs-timestamptz change from
> > > 7.1 to 7.2.  See http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1345390
> > >
> > > (BTW, is anyone else noticing that fts.postgresql.org is missing an
> > > awful lot of traffic?  For example, I can't get it to show Thomas'
> > > comment on the above-mentioned thread; and that is *VERY* far from
> > > being its only omission lately.)
> >
> > We just moved it from the old server (that I have to shut down) to the new
> > one at Rackspace ... the one thing I have to do over the next short period
> > of time is to spring for a memory upgrade on that machine though, as
> > 512Meg just doesn't cut it :(
>
> I see on db.postgresql.org
>
> > vmstat -w 5
>  procs      memory      page                    disks     faults      cpu
>  r b w     avm    fre  flt  re  pi  po  fr  sr da0 da1   in   sy  cs us sy id
>  0 17 0  471224  28184  369   3   4   2 325 334   0   0  331  401 182 29  2 69
>
>  0 19 0  414556  19272  644   1   1   0 546   0   0 172  461  823 290  1  2 97
>  1 19 0  414788  23940  459   4   4   1 474 615   1 170  454  734 286  0  2 98
>  1 20 0  428592  26912  372   3  14   0 433 592   6 182  480  790 296  1  2 97
>  2 19 0  458688  30164  318   3   9   0 423 592   3 177  463  787 289  1  2 97
>  1 17 0  446848  24196  303   2   4   0 454   0   2 177  463  878 294  1  2 97
>  0 18 0  452432  29404  228   1   3   2 324 633   2 184  472  842 305  2  4 94
>  0 19 0  449724  21860  200  14   6   0 508   0   1 188  473  702 283  0  2 98
>
> disk activity is very bad, probably not balanced. I catch a moment
> when fts.postgresql.org was slow.

Most of it is due to the high swap being used .. I've had two offers so
far to help upgrade the RAM, and am looking into the costs of doing so ...

Re: RC1 time?

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> > btw, if somebody could donate a server dedicated for rapidly growing
> > mailing list archive (already > 300,000 messages) ? fts.postgresql.org
> > id currently awfull slow !
> Or wants to spring for the memory upgrade?  The server is better then we
> had before, but memory is half of what it was ...

Where is this server located? What would a memory upgrade cost??
                - Thomas

Re: RC1 time?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > btw, if somebody could donate a server dedicated for rapidly growing
> > > mailing list archive (already > 300,000 messages) ? fts.postgresql.org
> > > id currently awfull slow !
> > Or wants to spring for the memory upgrade?  The server is better then we
> > had before, but memory is half of what it was ...
>
> Where is this server located? What would a memory upgrade cost??

Only Marc knows. I think server is overloaded - it hosts several
rather big projects+database server. More memory will helps but
I'd add several hard drives to separate disk activity.

>                  - Thomas

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: RC1 time?

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > > btw, if somebody could donate a server dedicated for rapidly growing
> > > mailing list archive (already > 300,000 messages) ? fts.postgresql.org
> > > id currently awfull slow !
> > Or wants to spring for the memory upgrade?  The server is better then we
> > had before, but memory is half of what it was ...
>
> Where is this server located? What would a memory upgrade cost??
   Count me in.

Jan

Re: RC1 time?

From
mlw
Date:
Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > btw, if somebody could donate a server dedicated for rapidly growing
> > > mailing list archive (already > 300,000 messages) ? fts.postgresql.org
> > > id currently awfull slow !
> > Or wants to spring for the memory upgrade?  The server is better then we
> > had before, but memory is half of what it was ...
>
> Where is this server located? What would a memory upgrade cost??

What kind of server? What kind of RAM? If it is an x86 BOX I have some
PC100 256M simms.

If you are looking for a server, I might be able to convince my company
(www.dmn.com) to donate an dual PIII 650.

Re: RC1 time?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
server is at rackspace in San Antonio, Tx ... and am looking into it ...

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > btw, if somebody could donate a server dedicated for rapidly growing
> > > mailing list archive (already > 300,000 messages) ? fts.postgresql.org
> > > id currently awfull slow !
> > Or wants to spring for the memory upgrade?  The server is better then we
> > had before, but memory is half of what it was ...
>
> Where is this server located? What would a memory upgrade cost??
>
>                  - Thomas

Re: RC1 time?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> > > Or wants to spring for the memory upgrade?  The server is better then we
> > > had before, but memory is half of what it was ...
> >
> > Where is this server located? What would a memory upgrade cost??
>
> Only Marc knows. I think server is overloaded - it hosts several
> rather big projects+database server. More memory will helps but
> I'd add several hard drives to separate disk activity.

the only thing that server hosts is the PostgreSQL Project ...

Re: RC1 time?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > Where is this server located? What would a memory upgrade cost??
> >
> > Only Marc knows. I think server is overloaded - it hosts several
> > rather big projects+database server. More memory will helps but
> > I'd add several hard drives to separate disk activity.
>

> the only thing that server hosts is the PostgreSQL Project ...

Again, I'd prefer to have a separate machine dedicated for fts project.
I don't like to work in 'jail' bsdish environment :-)
Currently I see, for example, ftpd process eats about 10hours ! of CPU,
keep in mind the server rebooted only 2 days ago !
Disk activity is very high ! There are only 2 disks ..
simple select from table with 10 records takes about 10 seconds !
Damn. I think it's time to think seriously about supporting of
postgresql.org. It's sort of marketing things, but it's very important.
If, for example, somebody interest in database with full text search
support and tries fts.postgresql.org, he'll form a very bad opinion
about search engine, about database. He'll not interested that
hardware is very limited and this is temporal problem. He will go
to mysql website :-(

In my opinion, simple PIII server: 1Gb ram, 3 HD  (SCSI) ( system, db, web )
would be enough for fts.postgresql.org.

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: RC1 time?

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

[snip]

> Damn. I think it's time to think seriously about supporting of
> postgresql.org. It's sort of marketing things, but it's very important.
> If, for example, somebody interest in database with full text search
> support and tries fts.postgresql.org, he'll form a very bad opinion
> about search engine, about database. He'll not interested that
> hardware is very limited and this is temporal problem. He will go
> to mysql website :-(

I agree. It is bad form.

Perhaps Red Hat or SRA would be able to help out?

Gavin

Re: RC1 time? (Server time)

From
mlw
mlw wrote:

> > > Or wants to spring for the memory upgrade?  The server is better then we
> > > had before, but memory is half of what it was ...
> >
> > Where is this server located? What would a memory upgrade cost??
>
> What kind of server? What kind of RAM? If it is an x86 BOX I have some
> PC100 256M simms.
>
> If you are looking for a server, I might be able to convince my company
> (www.dmn.com) to donate an dual PIII 650

We have an Intel Motherboard Dual PIII 650, 2U rack mount server. 512MRAM, but
I'm sure I can scrounge 1G. It has 1 18G IBM SCSI Hard disk, but two built in
SCSI controllers. One LVD one SE. Built in Intel nic. (I wouldn't trust the
disk because it has had a year of service.)

Does postgresql.org need such a box? If so, let me know.

Re: RC1 time? (Server time)

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, mlw wrote:

> We have an Intel Motherboard Dual PIII 650, 2U rack mount server. 512MRAM, but
> I'm sure I can scrounge 1G. It has 1 18G IBM SCSI Hard disk, but two built in
> SCSI controllers. One LVD one SE. Built in Intel nic. (I wouldn't trust the
> disk because it has had a year of service.)
>
> Does postgresql.org need such a box? If so, let me know.

Thanks,

It's Marc's decision but for dedicated server it'd be ok even with
512 Mb RAM (of course more memory would be nice). I wrote about
3 hard drives, but in minimal configuration we need separate HD
for database + HD for system and web stuff (2*18Gb SCSI look fine)

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: RC1 time?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Just as an FYI, the server is to be upgraded from 512Meg to 4GB over the
next few days ... thanks to everyone that offered to help spring for this,
but Rackspace is only charging us a very small amount to perform the
upgrade itself, with the RAM not costing a thing ...

As for a seperate machine for fts ... I'm in the process of trying to get
a second machine for Hub, since our first machine is just about at
capacity ... it will have 4GB of RAM on her and 7x18Gig RAID5 SCSI ... at
that time, I will move the db.postgresql.org server onto it, so that the
database is on a seperate machine from the web server itself ... I assume
that should help, just a little?

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > Only Marc knows. I think server is overloaded - it hosts several
> > > rather big projects+database server. More memory will helps but
> > > I'd add several hard drives to separate disk activity.
> >

> > the only thing that server hosts is the PostgreSQL Project ...
>
> Again, I'd prefer to have a separate machine dedicated for fts project.
> I don't like to work in 'jail' bsdish environment :-)
> Currently I see, for example, ftpd process eats about 10hours ! of CPU,
> keep in mind the server rebooted only 2 days ago !
> Disk activity is very high ! There are only 2 disks ..
> simple select from table with 10 records takes about 10 seconds !
> Damn. I think it's time to think seriously about supporting of
> postgresql.org. It's sort of marketing things, but it's very important.
> If, for example, somebody interest in database with full text search
> support and tries fts.postgresql.org, he'll form a very bad opinion
> about search engine, about database. He'll not interested that
> hardware is very limited and this is temporal problem. He will go
> to mysql website :-(
>
> In my opinion, simple PIII server: 1Gb ram, 3 HD  (SCSI) ( system, db, web )
> would be enough for fts.postgresql.org.

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
> >

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: RC1 time?

Date:
As long as we're talking about overloaded resources ...

The mailing list servers seem to have been horribly overloaded for a
long time.  In the past couple days it's been particularly bad (three-
to four-hour turnaround for postings).  Will these planned upgrades
help that situation at all?
        regards, tom lane

Re: RC1 time?

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> As long as we're talking about overloaded resources ...
>
> The mailing list servers seem to have been horribly overloaded for a
> long time.  In the past couple days it's been particularly bad (three-
> to four-hour turnaround for postings).  Will these planned upgrades
> help that situation at all?

Yes.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: RC1 time?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
We're going from 512Meg -> 4GB ... most of the issues right now are swap
related ... that machine is just swapping like crazy ...

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> As long as we're talking about overloaded resources ...
>
> The mailing list servers seem to have been horribly overloaded for a
> long time.  In the past couple days it's been particularly bad (three-
> to four-hour turnaround for postings).  Will these planned upgrades
> help that situation at all?
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: RC1 time?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> We're going from 512Meg -> 4GB ... most of the issues right now are swap
> related ... that machine is just swapping like crazy ...

not so much right nmow.  I think Marc just have no time to administrate
this machine. I wrote already about ftpd process which eats all CPU and
CPU time.

last pid: 26390;  load averages:  1.36,  1.46,  1.37    up 2+14:36:51  00:27:27
268 processes: 5 running, 261 sleeping, 2 zombie
CPU states: 50.3% user,  0.0% nice,  1.7% system,  0.0% interrupt, 48.0% idle
Mem: 258M Active, 93M Inact, 80M Wired, 27M Cache, 61M Buf, 42M Free
Swap: 1024M Total, 137M Used, 887M Free, 13% Inuse
 PID USERNAME  PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND2986 root       56   0   812K   328K CPU1   0
31.4H 99.02% 99.02% ftpd

26376 robot      30   0  2232K  1316K CPU0   1   0:00  1.88%  0.34% top

Awfull.
12:28AM  up 2 days, 14:37, 2 users, load averages: 1.33, 1.44, 1.37
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT

From 2 days online 'ftpd' eats 31 hours of CPU !

Also there are many issues I usually expect from system+db administrators.

So , I don't think adding a lot of RAM will help until such things like
crazy process eating CPU, everything live in one HD

> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > As long as we're talking about overloaded resources ...
> >
> > The mailing list servers seem to have been horribly overloaded for a
> > long time.  In the past couple days it's been particularly bad (three-
> > to four-hour turnaround for postings).  Will these planned upgrades
> > help that situation at all?
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Usenet service (was: RC1 time?)

From
Alessio Bragadini
Date:
On Wed, 2002-01-09 at 22:07, Tom Lane wrote:

> As long as we're talking about overloaded resources ...
>
> The mailing list servers seem to have been horribly overloaded for a
> long time.  In the past couple days it's been particularly bad (three-
> to four-hour turnaround for postings).  Will these planned upgrades
> help that situation at all?

There are also problems, IMHO, with the mail->Usenet gateway: I've just
resubscribed to the list since there are only an handful of messages on
news.postgresql.org, and that's been a constant since mid-December.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"    -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925