The new, the improved ... FTS Searching of Mailing List Archives

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Morning all ...
I'm going to do a broader announcement in a couple of days, but
Oleg and his gang have just finished setting up their Mailing List
Searching software ...
If you go to fts.postgresql.org, it is like night->day as far as
the old searching is concerned ...
We have some more configuration work to do on it, to improve
performance, but if anyone has used the old interface, performance now is
such that even without much tuning on the backend, you no longer have time
for coffee between searches :)
Try it, let us know of any bugs, and we'll do a bigger
announcement in a couple of days to the rest of the community ...
Vince, can you fix the search links to point to this, as far as
the mailing list searches are concerned?  docs are still in udmsearch for
now ...
*Major* thanks to Oleg and his group for making this available
to the community ... now searching is a useful function :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: The new, the improved ... FTS Searching of Mailing List Archives

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning all ...
>
>     I'm going to do a broader announcement in a couple of days, but
> Oleg and his gang have just finished setting up their Mailing List
> Searching software ...
>
>     If you go to fts.postgresql.org, it is like night->day as far as
> the old searching is concerned ...
>
>     We have some more configuration work to do on it, to improve
> performance, but if anyone has used the old interface, performance now is
> such that even without much tuning on the backend, you no longer have time
> for coffee between searches :)
>
>     Try it, let us know of any bugs, and we'll do a bigger
> announcement in a couple of days to the rest of the community ...
>
>     Vince, can you fix the search links to point to this, as far as
> the mailing list searches are concerned?  docs are still in udmsearch for
> now ...
>
>     *Major* thanks to Oleg and his group for making this available
> to the community ... now searching is a useful function :)

It *is* alot quicker.  I did a search for "scrappy" on All Lists and
it came back in 0.151 secs.  But it only found 104 matches, have you
been that quiet Marc?

I'll add it over the weekend.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Actually, default appears to be the last month worth of messages ... check
> your date range :)

I did, I just find it hard to believe that *you* of all people were
that quiet!  I did some other searches since then for things like 7.1
where I knew I'd get alot of hits.  Very impressive speeds!

Date:
Actually, default appears to be the last month worth of messages ... check
your date range :)

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>

> > Morning all ...
> >
> >     I'm going to do a broader announcement in a couple of days, but
> > Oleg and his gang have just finished setting up their Mailing List
> > Searching software ...
> >
> >     If you go to fts.postgresql.org, it is like night->day as far as
> > the old searching is concerned ...
> >
> >     We have some more configuration work to do on it, to improve
> > performance, but if anyone has used the old interface, performance now is
> > such that even without much tuning on the backend, you no longer have time
> > for coffee between searches :)
> >
> >     Try it, let us know of any bugs, and we'll do a bigger
> > announcement in a couple of days to the rest of the community ...
> >
> >     Vince, can you fix the search links to point to this, as far as
> > the mailing list searches are concerned?  docs are still in udmsearch for
> > now ...
> >
> >     *Major* thanks to Oleg and his group for making this available
> > to the community ... now searching is a useful function :)
>
> It *is* alot quicker.  I did a search for "scrappy" on All Lists and
> it came back in 0.151 secs.  But it only found 104 matches, have you
> been that quiet Marc?
>
> I'll add it over the weekend.
>
> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>          56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Re: The new, the improved ... FTS Searching of Mailing List Archives

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> It *is* alot quicker.  I did a search for "scrappy" on All Lists and
> it came back in 0.151 secs.  But it only found 104 matches, have you
> been that quiet Marc?

I got 3604 messages for the period from 1995 to now.                                       ^^^^^Oleg

> I'll add it over the weekend.
>
> Vince.

Regards,    Oleg

Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning all ...
>
>     I'm going to do a broader announcement in a couple of days, but
> Oleg and his gang have just finished setting up their Mailing List

All work was done by Teodor Sigaev (teodor@stack.net) and me (oleg@sai.msu.su)
as real-life application which utilize our work on GiST for 7.1
There is a room for improving performance - partial sorting
and better support of gist indexes by optimizer. We hope core developers
could help us.

>     *Major* thanks to Oleg and his group for making this available
> to the community ... now searching is a useful function :)

We need to write some doc, FAQ. Also, we plan to add indexing of
postgres documentation, so people could search in mailing list archive
and docs.

Date:
>     Vince, can you fix the search links to point to this, as far as
> the mailing list searches are concerned?  docs are still in udmsearch for
> now ...
>
>     *Major* thanks to Oleg and his group for making this available
> to the community ... now searching is a useful function :)

And something to add to 7.2!

Pennsylvania19026

Date:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >     Vince, can you fix the search links to point to this, as far as
> > the mailing list searches are concerned?  docs are still in udmsearch for
> > now ...
> >
> >     *Major* thanks to Oleg and his group for making this available
> > to the community ... now searching is a useful function :)
>
> And something to add to 7.2!

Huh? *raised eyebrow*  This is a standalone application that they've
donated to the project ... nothing that can be added to any of our
distributions ...

Re: The new, the improved ... FTS Searching of Mailing List Archives

Date:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > >     Vince, can you fix the search links to point to this, as far as
> > > the mailing list searches are concerned?  docs are still in udmsearch for
> > > now ...
> > >
> > >     *Major* thanks to Oleg and his group for making this available
> > > to the community ... now searching is a useful function :)
> >
> > And something to add to 7.2!
>
> Huh? *raised eyebrow*  This is a standalone application that they've
> donated to the project ... nothing that can be added to any of our
> distributions ...

Isn't the text indexing something that can go into the distribution?

Pennsylvania19026

Date:

> > > And something to add to 7.2!
> >
> > Huh? *raised eyebrow*  This is a standalone application that they've
> > donated to the project ... nothing that can be added to any of our
> > distributions ...
>
> Isn't the text indexing something that can go into the distribution?

to the best of my knowledge, everything they had for public consumption
was added to v7.1, but Oleg would be better for that ... to get
fts.postgresql.org, there was nothing special I had to do as far as the
backend was concerned *shrug*

Re: The new, the improved ... FTS Searching of Mailing List Archives

From
Lincoln Yeoh
Date:
At 03:44 PM 27-04-2001 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> > On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> >
>> > Huh? *raised eyebrow*  This is a standalone application that they've
>> > donated to the project ... nothing that can be added to any of our
>> > distributions ...
>>
>> Isn't the text indexing something that can go into the distribution?
>
>to the best of my knowledge, everything they had for public consumption
>was added to v7.1, but Oleg would be better for that ... to get
>fts.postgresql.org, there was nothing special I had to do as far as the
>backend was concerned *shrug*

<featurerequest>
Well if stuff like that ends up in Postgresql would it be possible to index
LIKE '%xxx%' searches? That way all people have to do is create the
relevant index and use a fts_ops or something, and voila LIKE '%xxx%'
searches become faster, with maybe some performance+disk space hit for
inserts.

Would something like that be difficult to implement? I'm not sure how
function+fts index would work either.

I hope FTS for postgresql doesn't start looking like Oracle's
Context/Intermedia... Proprietary interfaces == "lock in" == "ick".
</featurerequest>

Cheerio,
Link.

Re: Re: The new, the improved ... FTS Searching of Mailing List Archives

Date:
> <featurerequest>
> Well if stuff like that ends up in Postgresql would it be possible to index
> LIKE '%xxx%' searches? That way all people have to do is create the
> relevant index and use a fts_ops or something, and voila LIKE '%xxx%'
> searches become faster, with maybe some performance+disk space hit for
> inserts.
>
> Would something like that be difficult to implement? I'm not sure how
> function+fts index would work either.
>
> I hope FTS for postgresql doesn't start looking like Oracle's
> Context/Intermedia... Proprietary interfaces == "lock in" == "ick".
> </featurerequest>

This is what I was hoping... Something to make it automatic.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Re: The new, the improved ... FTS Searching of Mailing List Archives

From
Gunnar R|nning
Date:

> > I hope FTS for postgresql doesn't start looking like Oracle's
> > Context/Intermedia... Proprietary interfaces == "lock in" == "ick".
> > </featurerequest>
>
> This is what I was hoping... Something to make it automatic.

Well, I would love to see full text indexing with some understanding of the
language in question as well - I believe this is what Oracles product is
about and not just simple regexp matching. I want to be able to do regexps,
synonyms, soundex, etc. And I guess there is no standard for specifying
these different kind of searches.

regards,
Gunnar