Hardcopy docs available

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
I've posted the 7.1 hardcopy (postscript) docs at

  ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/doc/7.1/*.ps.gz

and

  http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs

I've also generated standalone html versions of the docs in case someone
wants that format. All are available at the http reference above.

I was not able to get into the site to test the ftp connection, but it
*should* work. Let me know if it does not. Also, if there is interest in
an A4 layout of the docs, let me know...

afaik things should be available on mirrors by tomorrow.

                      - Thomas

Can someone generate PDF versions of these? Sorry I can't remember all
those who volunteered, so perhaps we should coordinate on the -hackers
list so folks don't duplicate work. Thanks!

Re: Hardcopy docs available

Date:
> Can someone generate PDF versions of these? Sorry I can't remember all
> those who volunteered, so perhaps we should coordinate on the -hackers
> list so folks don't duplicate work. Thanks!

If you have Postscript, does ps2pdf do anything useful for you?  The
issue is that the site that generated the Postscript should be the one
who generates the PDF because the font metrics use to generate the
Postscript should be the same as the fonts embedded in the PDF file.

Re: Hardcopy docs available

From
"Ken Hirsch"
Date:
There may be a better way to create PDF files if you have TeX.  See
http://www.tug.org/applications/jadetex/

I haven't used Jade, so I don't know, but the PDF files that are output by
pdftex and pdflatex are smaller than those created by ps2pdf and easier to
read on your monitor (I think because they use the built-in PDF fonts where
they can.)

Ken Hirsch
All your database are belong to us

> > Can someone generate PDF versions of these? Sorry I can't remember all
> > those who volunteered, so perhaps we should coordinate on the -hackers
> > list so folks don't duplicate work. Thanks!
>
> If you have Postscript, does ps2pdf do anything useful for you?  The
> issue is that the site that generated the Postscript should be the one
> who generates the PDF because the font metrics use to generate the
> Postscript should be the same as the fonts embedded in the PDF file.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Hardcopy docs available

Date:
> There may be a better way to create PDF files if you have TeX.  See
> http://www.tug.org/applications/jadetex/
>
> I haven't used Jade, so I don't know, but the PDF files that are output by
> pdftex and pdflatex are smaller than those created by ps2pdf and easier to
> read on your monitor (I think because they use the built-in PDF fonts where
> they can.)

There is nothing inherent with TeX that makes embedded fonts more or
less likely.  You will need Ghostscript >= 6.0 to embed any nonstandard
fonts.

Re: Hardcopy docs available

From
"Ken Hirsch"
Date:
Okay, you're right.  I just updated my Ghostscript to 7.00 (just out) and it
produced very nice PDFs.  I can upload them somewhere if you give me an FTP
address.

Ken Hirsch

> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
> > There may be a better way to create PDF files if you have TeX.  See
> > http://www.tug.org/applications/jadetex/
> >
> > I haven't used Jade, so I don't know, but the PDF files that are output
by
> > pdftex and pdflatex are smaller than those created by ps2pdf and easier
> > read on your monitor (I think because they use the built-in PDF fonts
where
> > they can.)
>
> There is nothing inherent with TeX that makes embedded fonts more or
> less likely.  You will need Ghostscript >= 6.0 to embed any nonstandard
> fonts.

Re: Hardcopy docs available

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> I've posted the 7.1 hardcopy (postscript) docs at
>
>   ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/doc/7.1/*.ps.gz
>
> and
>
>   http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs
>
> I've also generated standalone html versions of the docs in case someone
> wants that format. All are available at the http reference above.

Great work!

> I was not able to get into the site to test the ftp connection, but it
> *should* work. Let me know if it does not. Also, if there is interest in
> an A4 layout of the docs, let me know...

Yes, please. We need A4 layout...
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Hardcopy docs available

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Okay, you're right.  I just updated my Ghostscript to 7.00 (just out) and it
> produced very nice PDFs.  I can upload them somewhere if you give me an FTP
> address.

Just mail them to me and I'll post them for you. ps2pdf seems to do a
nice (simple) job from the 5.50 version I'm running, so presumably 7.00
will do even better.
                      - Thomas

Re: Hardcopy docs available

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> ... if there is interest in an A4 layout of the docs, let me know...

I've gotten several requests for the A4 format, and have completed four
of the six docs in that format. Thanks for the feedback. They should be
available in the next couple of days...

                     - Thomas

Re: Hardcopy docs available

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> > ... if there is interest in an A4 layout of the docs, let me know...
> I've gotten several requests for the A4 format, and have completed four
> of the six docs in that format. Thanks for the feedback. They should be
> available in the next couple of days...

OK, A4 docs are now posted on the web site and the ftp site. Also, I've
put copies of the html tarballs on the ftp site, so there should now be
tarballs, two kinds of postscript, and PDFs available there.

If someone wants to run the A4 docs through a PDF converter, send 'em to
me and I'll post them too.

                         - Thomas

Re: Re: Hardcopy docs available

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > ... if there is interest in an A4 layout of the docs, let me know...
> > I've gotten several requests for the A4 format, and have completed four
> > of the six docs in that format. Thanks for the feedback. They should be
> > available in the next couple of days...
>
> OK, A4 docs are now posted on the web site and the ftp site. Also, I've
> put copies of the html tarballs on the ftp site, so there should now be
> tarballs, two kinds of postscript, and PDFs available there.
>
> If someone wants to run the A4 docs through a PDF converter, send 'em to
> me and I'll post them too.

Tom, ps2pdf is on hub.

Vince.

Re: [GENERAL] Re: Hardcopy docs available

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> If someone wants to run the A4 docs through a PDF converter, send 'em to
> me and I'll post them too.

I just did the userA4 pdf from hub with this:

$ gzcat userA4.ps.gz | ps2pdf - > userA4.pdf

Do you want me to do the rest of them?   Or we can probably have the
makindex script do it for us.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Date:
> > If someone wants to run the A4 docs through a PDF converter, send 'em to
> > me and I'll post them too.
> I just did the userA4 pdf from hub with this:
> $ gzcat userA4.ps.gz | ps2pdf - > userA4.pdf
> Do you want me to do the rest of them?   Or we can probably have the
> makindex script do it for us.

Sure. Anything is fine.
                  - Thomas