New man pages

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
I've posted a tarball of new man pages at

  ftp://postgresql.org/pub/doc/man.tar.gz

which were generated from the sgml sources used in the other docs.
There are a few new pages corresponding to applications like pgtclsh,
ipcclean, etc which were not documented in reference pages previously.

Also, the old man pages have been removed from the main branch of the
cvs repository (to take effect for the v6.6 release). All information
from those man pages appears somewhere else in the new docs; usually
in the reference pages but sometimes in a more suitable place.

Please let me know if you see any problems with these.

                     - Thomas

btw, the man tarball will also appear in a source distribution of
Postgres, much like the tarballs of html documentation. We may choose
to build the docs on the fly for a release, making the tarballs
superfluous, but I decided to do it this way to get us started...

South Pasadena, California

Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

Date:
> I've posted a tarball of new man pages at
>
>   ftp://postgresql.org/pub/doc/man.tar.gz
>
> which were generated from the sgml sources used in the other docs.
> There are a few new pages corresponding to applications like pgtclsh,
> ipcclean, etc which were not documented in reference pages previously.
>
> Also, the old man pages have been removed from the main branch of the
> cvs repository (to take effect for the v6.6 release). All information
> from those man pages appears somewhere else in the new docs; usually
> in the reference pages but sometimes in a more suitable place.

Great.  Good job.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > All information
> > from those man pages appears somewhere else in the new docs; usually
> > in the reference pages but sometimes in a more suitable place.
> Great.  Good job.

Thanks. So, at the moment we have man pages for section one (1) and
section ell (l). Is this the right section numbering for the future?
How did we choose the "ell"? Should we consider having some utilities
like initdb documented in, say, section eight (8)? How about having
sections like one-sql (1sql) or something similar?

It's easy to move things around, and I'm wondering if the current
scheme works for people. I don't have a strong opinion on this...
                  - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

Date:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > All information
> > > from those man pages appears somewhere else in the new docs; usually
> > > in the reference pages but sometimes in a more suitable place.
> > Great.  Good job.
>
> Thanks. So, at the moment we have man pages for section one (1) and
> section ell (l). Is this the right section numbering for the future?
> How did we choose the "ell"? Should we consider having some utilities

It is very confusing.  I think they chose 'l' for language.  Does
someone want to suggest a better section number.  Maybe just put them
all in 1.

> like initdb documented in, say, section eight (8)? How about having
> sections like one-sql (1sql) or something similar?

Oh, I get it.  Can everyone handle multi-character man sections?

> It's easy to move things around, and I'm wondering if the current
> scheme works for people. I don't have a strong opinion on this...

I would like to use existing sections, rather than do our own.  I found
I had to modify the man page search to look in a manl, and others may
have the same problem.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Oh, I get it.  Can everyone handle multi-character man sections?

That is how, for example, the X system does their man pages. There are
sections "1x", etc. Except that now that I look on my RH linux system
they are squirreled away in /usr/X11/man/man1/, etc so I must have
seen that on another system. Perhaps my old Alpha boxes??

> I would like to use existing sections, rather than do our own.  I found
> I had to modify the man page search to look in a manl, and others may
> have the same problem.

Yes, that is a consideration. It is easy to automate adding a new
section (like "1sql" or "1p" or ??) for packages, but is something the
admin needs to remember to do on a from-source installation.

otoh, it does eliminate the possibility of man page pollution if we
manage to have the same man page name as some other existing page.
*That* would be a bad thing. And in general adding ~75 man pages to
existing sections is a pretty big load...
                  - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

Date:
> > Oh, I get it.  Can everyone handle multi-character man sections?
>
> That is how, for example, the X system does their man pages. There are
> sections "1x", etc. Except that now that I look on my RH linux system
> they are squirreled away in /usr/X11/man/man1/, etc so I must have
> seen that on another system. Perhaps my old Alpha boxes??

SCO does that.  Section 1M.

> > I would like to use existing sections, rather than do our own.  I found
> > I had to modify the man page search to look in a manl, and others may
> > have the same problem.
>
> Yes, that is a consideration. It is easy to automate adding a new
> section (like "1sql" or "1p" or ??) for packages, but is something the
> admin needs to remember to do on a from-source installation.
>
> otoh, it does eliminate the possibility of man page pollution if we
> manage to have the same man page name as some other existing page.
> *That* would be a bad thing. And in general adding ~75 man pages to
> existing sections is a pretty big load...

Oh, good point.  How do we get around that.  I don't see another
existing section that looks appropriate for SQL commands.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
Thomas Lockhart wrote: >> Oh, I get it.  Can everyone handle multi-character man sections? > >That is how, for example,
theX system does their man pages. There are >sections "1x", etc. Except that now that I look on my RH linux system
>theyare squirreled away in /usr/X11/man/man1/, etc so I must have >seen that on another system. Perhaps my old Alpha
boxes??

Pages from multi-character sections are stored in the directory for the
first character.  For instance: /usr/man/man7/select.7l.gz
 >> I would like to use existing sections, rather than do our own.  I found >> I had to modify the man page search to
lookin a manl, and others may >> have the same problem.

For Debian, I have relocated the SQL pages to section 7l and commands such
as psql and createuser go in section 1.  Policy requires me to use one of
the numbered sections (1-8), though I can use a suffix to ensure uniqueness.

On Debian GNU/Linux, the sections are:
1 User commands
2 System calls
3 Library routines
4 Devices
5 File formats
6 Games
7 Miscellaneous
8 System administration

... >otoh, it does eliminate the possibility of man page pollution if we >manage to have the same man page name as some
otherexisting page.

As of course we do; for example, select is also in section 2.
 >*That* would be a bad thing. And in general adding ~75 man pages to >existing sections is a pretty big load...

I'm not sure that's much of a problem. These are the figures from my
system for /usr/man, /usr/share/man, /usr/X11R6/man and /usr/local/man
combined:

Section   Count
1          2258
2           236
3          6554
4            39
5           236
6            26
7           128
8           517

--      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/                ========================================
Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver              PGP key from public servers; key
ID32B8FAA1                ========================================    "If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye
shall    ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you."                                          John 15:7

Date:
> Pages from multi-character sections are stored in the directory for the
> first character.  For instance: /usr/man/man7/select.7l.gz

Oh! afaik that is one option; the man system in general could also
handle man7l/select.7.gz right? You would update /etc/man.config to
add, say, "7l" to the list of sections.

But is is against Debian policy to invent new directories for pages? I
see that my RH linux system actually does about the same as Debian;
there are some ".1x" files in the /usr/man/man1 directory.

>   >> I would like to use existing sections, rather than do our own.  I found
>   >> I had to modify the man page search to look in a manl, and others may
>   >> have the same problem.
> For Debian, I have relocated the SQL pages to section 7l and commands such
> as psql and createuser go in section 1.  Policy requires me to use one of
> the numbered sections (1-8), though I can use a suffix to ensure uniqueness.
> On Debian GNU/Linux, the sections are:
> 1 User commands
> 2 System calls
> 3 Library routines
> 4 Devices
> 5 File formats
> 6 Games
> 7 Miscellaneous
> 8 System administration

Same for Linux ("man 7 man" has a summary).

>   >otoh, it does eliminate the possibility of man page pollution if we
>   >manage to have the same man page name as some other existing page.
> As of course we do; for example, select is also in section 2.

A near miss, since we weren't likely to have chosen section 2 for
*our* select. But it does illustrate the risk.

>   >*That* would be a bad thing. And in general adding ~75 man pages to
>   >existing sections is a pretty big load...
> I'm not sure that's much of a problem. These are the figures from my
> system for /usr/man, /usr/share/man, /usr/X11R6/man and /usr/local/man
> combined:

Right.

So, do Oliver's conventions make sense for most platforms? istm that
they do. Would folks have problems with a mapping similar to what
Oliver uses? We would use section one (1) and section seven (7), with
a qualifier of ell (l) on each of the man page names. I won't do
anything about it right now, but would like to get a consensus now
that the subject has come up. Speak up now or forever hold your...
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
Thomas Lockhart wrote: >> Pages from multi-character sections are stored in the directory for the >> first character.
Forinstance: /usr/man/man7/select.7l.gz > >Oh! afaik that is one option; the man system in general could also >handle
man7l/select.7.gzright? You would update /etc/man.config to >add, say, "7l" to the list of sections. > >But is is
againstDebian policy to invent new directories for pages?

6.1 Manual pages

You must install manual pages in nroff source form, in appropriate places
under /usr/share/man. You should only use sections 1 to 9 (see the FHS
   ^^^                           FHS only defines 1 to 8; this may be an error

for more details). You must not install a preformatted `cat page'.

The FHS has a section (4.8.2) on manual pages, which we ought to follow
if possible: <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-4.8.2.html>

Date:
>> Oh, I get it.  Can everyone handle multi-character man sections?
>
> That is how, for example, the X system does their man pages. There are
> sections "1x", etc. Except that now that I look on my RH linux system
> they are squirreled away in /usr/X11/man/man1/, etc so I must have
> seen that on another system. Perhaps my old Alpha boxes??

HPUX, as usual, is off in left field somewhere: they use 1m for sysadmin
commands, but everything else just goes into the single-digit-named
subdirectories (man1, man3, etc).  There is no separate namespace for
section 3c vs. section 3m, for example --- all those man pages live in
man3.  And sections named by a bare letter don't work at all.  AFAICT
this section search logic is implemented by hardwired hacks in the guts
of man(1) --- there is no way to affect it with MANPATH, for example,
because MANPATH determines where the manual root directories are, not
which subdirectories get looked at.

Newer implementations of man(1) are probably cleaner, but I fear that
HPUX's may be representative of what you'll find on older Unixes.

I'd like to see us change away from putting SQL commands in section l
(ell), simply because that doesn't work on HPUX.  Something like 8l
or 8s would work a lot better for me.  However, I'm not sure which
major section to use --- there doesn't seem to be very much cross-
platform standardization about the meanings of the sections beyond 4.
On BSD, section 8 seems to contain admin programs (the stuff HPUX
keeps in 1m).  I don't see any sections on either my HPUX box or
a nearby BSD box that contain pages for individual keywords of
a programming language...

> otoh, it does eliminate the possibility of man page pollution if we
> manage to have the same man page name as some other existing page.
> *That* would be a bad thing. And in general adding ~75 man pages to
> existing sections is a pretty big load...

As long as we install into /usr/local/pgsql/man/man*, naming conflicts
with other packages aren't too big a deal --- there's no physical file
conflict, and people can just add or remove /usr/local/pgsql/man/ in
their MANPATH settings to see or not see Postgres manpages.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 12:47:53PM +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> So, do Oliver's conventions make sense for most platforms? istm that
> they do. Would folks have problems with a mapping similar to what
> Oliver uses? We would use section one (1) and section seven (7), with
> a qualifier of ell (l) on each of the man page names. I won't do
> anything about it right now, but would like to get a consensus now
> that the subject has come up. Speak up now or forever hold your...

Well, they make sense for _me_ but then, I run Debian and use Oliver's
packages ;-) As to the general proposal: put them in the nubmered sections
witha unique suffix. I'd suggest, however, at least a two character suffix:
how about pg? or sql? (tcl/tk uses section 3 with foo.3tcl and bar.3tk)

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Date:
> I'd like to see us change away from putting SQL commands in section l
> (ell), simply because that doesn't work on HPUX.  Something like 8l
> or 8s would work a lot better for me.  However, I'm not sure which
> major section to use --- there doesn't seem to be very much cross-
> platform standardization about the meanings of the sections beyond 4.
> On BSD, section 8 seems to contain admin programs (the stuff HPUX
> keeps in 1m).  I don't see any sections on either my HPUX box or
> a nearby BSD box that contain pages for individual keywords of
> a programming language...

Oliver uses section 7 (miscellaneous...) for SQL commands, which seems
to be the right choice given the guidelines for Debian, RedHat, FHS,
and my imprecise impression of what is typical.

> > otoh, it does eliminate the possibility of man page pollution if we
> > manage to have the same man page name as some other existing page.
> > *That* would be a bad thing. And in general adding ~75 man pages to
> > existing sections is a pretty big load...
> As long as we install into /usr/local/pgsql/man/man*, naming conflicts
> with other packages aren't too big a deal --- there's no physical file
> conflict, and people can just add or remove /usr/local/pgsql/man/ in
> their MANPATH settings to see or not see Postgres manpages.

Yeah, but "we" don't always install into /usr/local/pgsql, though we
can suggest that as a possibility.

btw, on my Solaris boxes MANPATH is worse than useless; if you specify
it then none of the other paths mentioned in /etc/man.config (or
wherever that is on Solaris) get used. So you have to recreate all of
the default MANPATH settings in your environment variable. Of course,
now that I've whined about this perhaps someone knows a way around
this?

Is there any concern about using "l" (ell) for the section
discriminator?

So, I'll count you as not objecting to sections "1l" (one-ell) and
"7l" (seven-ell), ok?
                       - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

From
Brook Milligan
Date:
So, do Oliver's conventions make sense for most platforms? istm that  they do. Would folks have problems with a
mappingsimilar to what  Oliver uses? We would use section one (1) and section seven (7), with  a qualifier of ell (l)
oneach of the man page names. I won't do  anything about it right now, but would like to get a consensus now  that the
subjecthas come up. Speak up now or forever hold your...

OK, I'll speak up. :)

This doesn't make too much sense to me based on my experience with
zillions of other man pages.

A quick look through all of my system-supplied, X11, and locally
installed man pages in section 1 shows none with any suffix other than
.1 or .1.gz.  What exactly is the point of a .1l or whatever?  Is it
just to avoid name collisions?  If so, why not use something more
meaningful, like .1sql?  Note that the downside of any "odd" suffix,
though, is that the man system will likely need reconfiguring so as to
recognize it.  This will add an extra installation step, one that
probably cannot be easily automated.  Perhaps a relevant question here
is, how likely is a name collision anyway?  Is it likely enough to
require reconfiguration of the man system for all users?

As far as sections go, I think the following conventions apply for
sections of relevance to PostgreSQL:

1 - most of the commands which comprise the user environment
3 - an overview of the library functions, their error returns and   other common definitions and concepts
5 - documentation on binary and configuration file formats
8 - information related to system operation and maintenance

Thus, it seems that documentation for user commands, e.g., CREATE
TABLE, SELECT, UPDATE, ... should go into section 1, the API to
libpq/libpq++/libpgtcl/... should go into section 3, configuration
files like pg_hba.conf should go into section 5, and admin commands,
e.g., createdb, createuser, pg_dump, ... should go into section 8.

Cheers,
Brook

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

Date:
>> On BSD, section 8 seems to contain admin programs (the stuff HPUX
>> keeps in 1m).  I don't see any sections on either my HPUX box or
>> a nearby BSD box that contain pages for individual keywords of
>> a programming language...

> Oliver uses section 7 (miscellaneous...) for SQL commands, which seems
> to be the right choice given the guidelines for Debian, RedHat, FHS,
> and my imprecise impression of what is typical.

7 works for me; there's not much there except a few kernel device
driver manpages on my box.

> Is there any concern about using "l" (ell) for the section
> discriminator?
> So, I'll count you as not objecting to sections "1l" (one-ell) and
> "7l" (seven-ell), ok?

How about "s" for "SQL"?  ell is too easily mistaken for one; we'd
have to put "no, it's not section eleven" in the FAQ ...

> btw, on my Solaris boxes MANPATH is worse than useless; if you specify
> it then none of the other paths mentioned in /etc/man.config (or
> wherever that is on Solaris) get used. So you have to recreate all of
> the default MANPATH settings in your environment variable. Of course,
> now that I've whined about this perhaps someone knows a way around
> this?

Er, why not "MANPATH=/usr/local/pgsql/man:$MANPATH" ?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Tom Lane wrote: >As long as we install into /usr/local/pgsql/man/man*, naming conflicts >with other packages aren't too
biga deal --- there's no physical file >conflict, and people can just add or remove /usr/local/pgsql/man/ in >their
MANPATHsettings to see or not see Postgres manpages.

But do remember us poor distribution maintainers.  It makes life a lot
easier for us if upstream writers make an effort not to conflict with the
rest of the world!

If some local user or administrator puts PostgreSQL on his machine, it
may be appropriate to use /usr/local, but a PostgreSQL package installed as
part of a distribution should never use it.

Date:
"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu> writes:
> I'd suggest, however, at least a two character suffix:

Doesn't work with the standard man(1) on either HPUX or SunOS...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
------- Start of forwarded message -------  So, do Oliver's conventions make sense for most platforms? istm that  they

Date:
> > Pages from multi-character sections are stored in the directory for the
> > first character.  For instance: /usr/man/man7/select.7l.gz
>
> Oh! afaik that is one option; the man system in general could also
> handle man7l/select.7.gz right? You would update /etc/man.config to
> add, say, "7l" to the list of sections.
>
> But is is against Debian policy to invent new directories for pages? I
> see that my RH linux system actually does about the same as Debian;
> there are some ".1x" files in the /usr/man/man1 directory.

I have never seen a 'name.1x' or anything with a more than
single-character file prefix, and once it is formatted, it becomes
name.0.  I don't see it buys us anything to do this.  What we could do
is to put throw them in section 7, assuming there is no conflict.  I
only have two pgp man pages in my 7.

> >   >> I would like to use existing sections, rather than do our own.  I found
> >   >> I had to modify the man page search to look in a manl, and others may
> >   >> have the same problem.
> > For Debian, I have relocated the SQL pages to section 7l and commands such
> > as psql and createuser go in section 1.  Policy requires me to use one of
> > the numbered sections (1-8), though I can use a suffix to ensure uniqueness.
> > On Debian GNU/Linux, the sections are:
> > 1 User commands
> > 2 System calls
> > 3 Library routines
> > 4 Devices
> > 5 File formats
> > 6 Games
> > 7 Miscellaneous
> > 8 System administration
>
> Same for Linux ("man 7 man" has a summary).
>
> >   >otoh, it does eliminate the possibility of man page pollution if we
> >   >manage to have the same man page name as some other existing page.
> > As of course we do; for example, select is also in section 2.
>
> A near miss, since we weren't likely to have chosen section 2 for
> *our* select. But it does illustrate the risk.
>
> >   >*That* would be a bad thing. And in general adding ~75 man pages to
> >   >existing sections is a pretty big load...
> > I'm not sure that's much of a problem. These are the figures from my
> > system for /usr/man, /usr/share/man, /usr/X11R6/man and /usr/local/man
> > combined:
>
> Right.
>
> So, do Oliver's conventions make sense for most platforms? istm that
> they do. Would folks have problems with a mapping similar to what
> Oliver uses? We would use section one (1) and section seven (7), with
> a qualifier of ell (l) on each of the man page names. I won't do
> anything about it right now, but would like to get a consensus now
> that the subject has come up. Speak up now or forever hold your...

I agree with the 7, but see no need for the additional qualifier.  I
think that could cause more problems than it is worth.

Date:
> btw, on my Solaris boxes MANPATH is worse than useless; if you specify
> it then none of the other paths mentioned in /etc/man.config (or
> wherever that is on Solaris) get used. So you have to recreate all of
> the default MANPATH settings in your environment variable. Of course,
> now that I've whined about this perhaps someone knows a way around
> this?
>
> Is there any concern about using "l" (ell) for the section
> discriminator?
>
> So, I'll count you as not objecting to sections "1l" (one-ell) and
> "7l" (seven-ell), ok?

Why not just put it in section 7, not 7l.

Date:
Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu> writes:
> Thus, it seems that documentation for user commands, e.g., CREATE
> TABLE, SELECT, UPDATE, ... should go into section 1,

No.  Section 1 is exclusively for *programs*, ie, commands available
at a shell command line.  There isn't really anyplace in the standard
man conventions to put a separate man page for each command accepted
by a single program, which is what SQL language constructs are.
We're usurping more "man page namespace" than we ought to by putting
each SQL construct on its own man page.  However, one man page for
the whole of SQL isn't too appealing, so we have little choice.
The proposal to put 'em in section 7 sounded reasonable to me.

> the API to
> libpq/libpq++/libpgtcl/... should go into section 3, configuration
> files like pg_hba.conf should go into section 5, and admin commands,
> e.g., createdb, createuser, pg_dump, ... should go into section 8.

These would make sense, but you start to run into some of the
cross-platform idiosyncracies in section usage as soon as you go past
section 3.  For example, on HPUX file format docs live in section 4,
and admin commands live in section 1m.  I don't think HP invented those
conventions on their own --- they are probably common to a lot of
old-line SysV-derived Unixes.  The Debian conventions that Oliver
mentioned look like they descend from BSD Unix.

I agree with putting the libpq etc. APIs in section 3, assuming we still
have man pages for them at all (at one time there was talk of dropping
those manpages in favor of the chapters in the SGML docs).  I'd be
inclined to just put createdb and friends in section 1, rather than
worrying about where they should go to classify them as admin commands...
        regards, tom lane

Date:
> > btw, on my Solaris boxes MANPATH is worse than useless; if you specify
> > it then none of the other paths mentioned in /etc/man.config (or
> > wherever that is on Solaris) get used. So you have to recreate all of
> > the default MANPATH settings in your environment variable. Of course,
> > now that I've whined about this perhaps someone knows a way around
> > this?
> Er, why not "MANPATH=/usr/local/pgsql/man:$MANPATH" ?

'Cause MANPATH is not defined to start with. My point was that man
does a great job just using its configuration file, but if you start
using MANPATH you have to (apparently) figure out what paths were in
the config file and put those in too...
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

Date:
> > > btw, on my Solaris boxes MANPATH is worse than useless; if you specify
> > > it then none of the other paths mentioned in /etc/man.config (or
> > > wherever that is on Solaris) get used. So you have to recreate all of
> > > the default MANPATH settings in your environment variable. Of course,
> > > now that I've whined about this perhaps someone knows a way around
> > > this?
> > Er, why not "MANPATH=/usr/local/pgsql/man:$MANPATH" ?
>
> 'Cause MANPATH is not defined to start with. My point was that man
> does a great job just using its configuration file, but if you start
> using MANPATH you have to (apparently) figure out what paths were in
> the config file and put those in too...

Yes, I have seen this too.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Brook Milligan wrote:

>    So, do Oliver's conventions make sense for most platforms? istm that
>    they do. Would folks have problems with a mapping similar to what
>    Oliver uses? We would use section one (1) and section seven (7), with
>    a qualifier of ell (l) on each of the man page names. I won't do
>    anything about it right now, but would like to get a consensus now
>    that the subject has come up. Speak up now or forever hold your...
>
> OK, I'll speak up. :)
>
> This doesn't make too much sense to me based on my experience with
> zillions of other man pages.
>
> A quick look through all of my system-supplied, X11, and locally

Just a quick note, but, under FreeBSD *at least*, X11 puts its man pages
in /usr/X11R6/man/* ... so it doesn't conflict with "system" man pages...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Date:
On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> > manage to have the same man page name as some other existing page.
> > *That* would be a bad thing. And in general adding ~75 man pages to
> > existing sections is a pretty big load...
>
> As long as we install into /usr/local/pgsql/man/man*, naming conflicts
> with other packages aren't too big a deal --- there's no physical file
> conflict, and people can just add or remove /usr/local/pgsql/man/ in
> their MANPATH settings to see or not see Postgres manpages.

Jumping in mid-stream and a week late (love holidays, eh? *grin*) ... My
opinion is to make the default ${PREFIX}/man and have a --manpath=
variable set to configure to move it to a different place...

I *believe* that Oracle installs its man pages under its install
directory, but can't confirm right now...

Date:
On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > btw, on my Solaris boxes MANPATH is worse than useless; if you specify
> > > it then none of the other paths mentioned in /etc/man.config (or
> > > wherever that is on Solaris) get used. So you have to recreate all of
> > > the default MANPATH settings in your environment variable. Of course,
> > > now that I've whined about this perhaps someone knows a way around
> > > this?
> > Er, why not "MANPATH=/usr/local/pgsql/man:$MANPATH" ?
>
> 'Cause MANPATH is not defined to start with. My point was that man
> does a great job just using its configuration file, but if you start
> using MANPATH you have to (apparently) figure out what paths were in
> the config file and put those in too...

Okay, I run Solaris at work (2.5.x -> 7) and have yet to find a
/etc/man.config file...I've always used MANPATH here :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org