IRC, webcam, IM

Date:
I have reconfigured my system so I automatically connect to IRC and
AOL's Instant messenger when I start Netscape, so people will see me
more active in these areas.

In IRC, I am on channel #postgresql(see FAQ for info), and in AOL/IM, I
am bmomjian.  (All my neighbors are on AOL.  What can I say?)

Also, I have fixed my webcam, so you can use my home page listed below
to see it again.  I have moved the camera upstairs to look out the
window.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: IRC, webcam, IM

Date:
> I have reconfigured my system so I automatically connect to IRC and
> AOL's Instant messenger when I start Netscape, so people will see me
> more active in these areas.
>
> In IRC, I am on channel #postgresql(see FAQ for info), and in AOL/IM, I
> am bmomjian.  (All my neighbors are on AOL.  What can I say?)
>
> Also, I have fixed my webcam, so you can use my home page listed below
> to see it again.  I have moved the camera upstairs to look out the
> window.

Let me add one more thing.  I typically did not use IRC because it was a
pain to check the window every so often to see if anything was
happening, and I often forgot to even start it up.

I am now using zircon for IRC and tik for AOL/IM.  Both programs can be
minimized on startup of netscape, so if nothing happens, I don't even
see they are running.

If someone says something, the window de-iconifies and displays itself.
This makes it much more convenient for me.  Both use tcl 8.0.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] Re: IRC, webcam, IM

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Let me add one more thing.  I typically did not use IRC because it was a
> pain to check the window every so often to see if anything was
> happening, and I often forgot to even start it up.
> I am now using zircon for IRC and tik for AOL/IM.  Both programs can be
> minimized on startup of netscape, so if nothing happens, I don't even
> see they are running.

I found and built zircon-1.18; what version are you running? I see
scrappy on there but not yourself. Can you remind me which IRC server
you had recommended in the past?

btw, zircon looks pretty neat.
                   - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] Re: IRC, webcam, IM

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 13 May 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Let me add one more thing.  I typically did not use IRC because it was a
> > pain to check the window every so often to see if anything was
> > happening, and I often forgot to even start it up.
> > I am now using zircon for IRC and tik for AOL/IM.  Both programs can be
> > minimized on startup of netscape, so if nothing happens, I don't even
> > see they are running.
>
> I found and built zircon-1.18; what version are you running? I see
> scrappy on there but not yourself. Can you remind me which IRC server
> you had recommended in the past?
>
> btw, zircon looks pretty neat.

I usually use one of irc.phoenix.net or irc.rift.com ... servers tend to
have "per domain" restrictions on who can connect...I believe
irc.phoenix.net is one that has none except maybe number of connections
from a domain...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] Re: IRC, webcam, IM

Date:
> > Let me add one more thing.  I typically did not use IRC because it was a
> > pain to check the window every so often to see if anything was
> > happening, and I often forgot to even start it up.
> > I am now using zircon for IRC and tik for AOL/IM.  Both programs can be
> > minimized on startup of netscape, so if nothing happens, I don't even
> > see they are running.
>
> I found and built zircon-1.18; what version are you running? I see
> scrappy on there but not yourself. Can you remind me which IRC server
> you had recommended in the past?

I am on irc.ais.net, but that shouldn't matter.  All sites should see
each other.

I am on the same one as Marc, and am on now.  I am not on all the time
like Scrappy, because I have a dialup connection to the Internet, and I
am not at my computer all the time, so why have zircon/netscape running.
When I am on, you will see me.  I am sure we will run into each other
in the next day or so.

> btw, zircon looks pretty neat.

I thought so.  No checking to see if someone said something, and each
group is in its own window.  Nice.

Pennsylvania19026