ecpg docs

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
I just checked the ecpg docs. There are ecpg.1 and ecpg.sgml, a man page and
a converted texinfo file. I remember Tom saying something like the manpages
shall be computed from the sgml source. Is this correct?

If so I wonder how it should work. The ecpg.sgml file contains totally
different stuff than the man page.

Anyway, I attach the actual version of the man page. Could anyone please put
this into cvs as the one in there is severly outdated.

Michael
Email: Michael.Meskes@gmx.net          | Use PostgreSQL!

Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] ecpg docs

Date:
> I just checked the ecpg docs. There are ecpg.1 and ecpg.sgml, a man page and
> a converted texinfo file. I remember Tom saying something like the manpages
> shall be computed from the sgml source. Is this correct?

I am wondering myself.  Thomas, where are we on this?  Can we convert
the html to man pages, or doesn't that work.  Fortunately, we have not
been making many man pages changes lately, so it has not been an issue.

> If so I wonder how it should work. The ecpg.sgml file contains totally
> different stuff than the man page.

I rememeber someone updating only one of the files.

You actually did it:

> On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 05:11:04AM +0000, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> > Michael, the ecpg author, contributed ecpg.sgml several months ago. I
>
> I thought you did transform it to sgml.
>
> > would think that he was just reconciling the information in the man page
> > with the existing sgml-based information, but don't know that for sure.
> > Michael?
>
> My problem is that I do not speak sgml. Therefore I only updated the man
> page from Tom Good's version but not the sgml part. Is there a tool I
> could
> use to transform it? I try to remember that the next time and will only
> update the sgml file which should be much easier than trasnforming the
> current man page.
>
> Michael

So the sgml has to be reconverted from the ecpg man page.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] ecpg docs

From
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Date:
> > I just checked the ecpg docs. There are ecpg.1 and ecpg.sgml, a man
> > page and a converted texinfo file. I remember Tom saying something
> > like the manpages shall be computed from the sgml source. Is this
> > correct?
> I am wondering myself.  Thomas, where are we on this?  Can we convert
> the html to man pages, or doesn't that work.  Fortunately, we have not
> been making many man pages changes lately, so it has not been an
> issue.

I'm waiting for someone to send an updated version of "Instant", which
converts DocBook-v3.0 sgml <refentry> pages into man pages. It should
show up in a week or two. We'll see if it works well enough.

Others have expressed interest in helping, but have not had time to
contribute a solution. I personally consider it a second-order problem,
in that if we had waited for a perfect man page solution before starting
the new docs we wouldn't have any new docs.

Also, imho the man pages should be kept very simple, with just syntax
and no "how to" info, but I think others don't see it that way so I'm
still willing to look into converting the bigger docs back into man
pages.

Anyway, if someone wants to look at converting html into man pages, be
my guest. If it is completely turn-key, then perhaps I could support it
for document releases, otherwise someone else will have to take
responsibility, and we'll all have to finish release docs a bit earlier
than we have been doing. But that's a detail...
                     - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] ecpg docs

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 02:02:25PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I rememeber someone updating only one of the files.
>
> You actually did it:

Yes, the man page.

> So the sgml has to be reconverted from the ecpg man page.

No. It contains completely different stuff. The mail you got from the
archive was somewhere out of context.

In the original ecpg package there was a texinfo file describing some stuff
about implementation and so. This is the file that was converted to sgml
after being brought somewhat up-to-date. The man page though is completely
different. It's scope is to describe the usage of ecpg.

Date:
On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 06:04:09AM +0000, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> Also, imho the man pages should be kept very simple, with just syntax
> and no "how to" info, but I think others don't see it that way so I'm
> still willing to look into converting the bigger docs back into man
> pages.

I do agree. So this means I have to put some of ecpg.1 info into ecpg.sgml.
Anyone speaking sgml willing to help?

Date:
> I do agree. So this means I have to put some of ecpg.1 info into
> ecpg.sgml. Anyone speaking sgml willing to help?

Sure (or if someone else wants to help, that would be great!). I'd like
to eventually have the sources of ecpg info in two places: the existing
ecpg.sgml which forms a chapter in the User's Guide, and in a new
reference page ref/ecpg-ref.sgml which would be a relatively short
syntax/options reference for how to run the program itself. This last
would also become the man page when we (eventually) get the capability
to convert DocBook <refentry> pages to man pages.

If you want to try the conversion, great. If you would prefer not, then
I'll be happy to, and it would be great if you were able to help
maintain the information in them after that.

You might use the ref/psql-ref.sgml as an example of what a program
reference page contains and how it is marked up. Look at the html
"integrated docs" postgres.html toward the bottom of the User's Guide
part to see how the psql-ref.sgml page looks when formatted.

Cheers.
                    - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] ecpg docs

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 04:24:32PM +0000, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> to eventually have the sources of ecpg info in two places: the existing
> ecpg.sgml which forms a chapter in the User's Guide, and in a new
> reference page ref/ecpg-ref.sgml which would be a relatively short
> syntax/options reference for how to run the program itself. This last
> would also become the man page when we (eventually) get the capability
> to convert DocBook <refentry> pages to man pages.

Sounds good.

> If you want to try the conversion, great. If you would prefer not, then
> I'll be happy to, and it would be great if you were able to help
> maintain the information in them after that.

I will try my best if I find the time.

> You might use the ref/psql-ref.sgml as an example of what a program
> reference page contains and how it is marked up. Look at the html
> "integrated docs" postgres.html toward the bottom of the User's Guide
> part to see how the psql-ref.sgml page looks when formatted.

I will.