Re: [HACKERS] ecpg docs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] ecpg docs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > I just checked the ecpg docs. There are ecpg.1 and ecpg.sgml, a man
> > page and a converted texinfo file. I remember Tom saying something
> > like the manpages shall be computed from the sgml source. Is this
> > correct?
> I am wondering myself.  Thomas, where are we on this?  Can we convert
> the html to man pages, or doesn't that work.  Fortunately, we have not
> been making many man pages changes lately, so it has not been an
> issue.

I'm waiting for someone to send an updated version of "Instant", which
converts DocBook-v3.0 sgml <refentry> pages into man pages. It should
show up in a week or two. We'll see if it works well enough.

Others have expressed interest in helping, but have not had time to
contribute a solution. I personally consider it a second-order problem,
in that if we had waited for a perfect man page solution before starting
the new docs we wouldn't have any new docs.

Also, imho the man pages should be kept very simple, with just syntax
and no "how to" info, but I think others don't see it that way so I'm
still willing to look into converting the bigger docs back into man
pages.

Anyway, if someone wants to look at converting html into man pages, be
my guest. If it is completely turn-key, then perhaps I could support it
for document releases, otherwise someone else will have to take
responsibility, and we'll all have to finish release docs a bit earlier
than we have been doing. But that's a detail...
                     - Tom