PREPARE

From
"Taral"
Date:
It seems that full support for CORBA and the COS Query Service requires us
to enable the user to parse, prepare, and execute the query in three
separate stages. Are we also planning to support PREPARE? If so, we should
co-ordinate the effort, since the full COSQS support will require pulling
apart pg_parse_and_plan().

Taral

Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
Peter T Mount
Date:
On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Taral wrote:

> It seems that full support for CORBA and the COS Query Service requires us
> to enable the user to parse, prepare, and execute the query in three
> separate stages. Are we also planning to support PREPARE? If so, we should
> co-ordinate the effort, since the full COSQS support will require pulling
> apart pg_parse_and_plan().

Implementing PREPARE would benefit JDBC.

Currently, were implementing it in the driver but having this in the
backend would benefit JDBC a lot in performance.

--       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk     Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Faq: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgresJava PDF Generator: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf

Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
Hannu Krosing
Taral wrote:

> It seems that full support for CORBA and the COS Query Service requires us
> to enable the user to parse, prepare, and execute the query in three
> separate stages. Are we also planning to support PREPARE? If so, we should
> co-ordinate the effort, since the full COSQS support will require pulling
> apart pg_parse_and_plan().

We should.

Currently we do support PREPARE (kind of) in  the SPI interface.

However, it is not strictly necessary (both ODBC and JDBC currently
simulate it on the client side), but it would enable interactive
applications perform much better if we did.

The current FE<->BE protocol is strange mix of CLI and directly
usable psql replacement ;)

BTW, what does CORBA prescribe about transactions (if anything) ?

Is the current transaction model adequate or do we need nested
transactions ?

PS. It would probably be beneficial to look also at Microsofts ADO for
ideas,
afaik this is the DCOM version of what we are trying to do with CORBA.

------------
Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 02:19:32PM -0600, Taral wrote:
> separate stages. Are we also planning to support PREPARE? If so, we should
> co-ordinate the effort, since the full COSQS support will require pulling
> apart pg_parse_and_plan().

Hopefully. I'm still holding back PREPARE for ecpg until I can think of a
good solution. The best of course would be in the backend. Hmm, how do ODBC
and JDBC solve this?

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Manager of the Western Branch Office, Datenrevision GmbH
work: Cuxhavener Str. 36, D-21149 Hamburg

Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Date:
> I'm still holding back PREPARE for ecpg until I can think of a
> good solution. The best of course would be in the backend.

So what would it take to do this in the backend? I think the places
which would need to be touched fall into areas I either know about or am
starting to look at to implement the CASE clause.

We'd need: - a "named buffer" (or several) to hold the intermediate input - a way to pass in parameters or substitution
arguments- a way to decide if previous parser/planner/executor   results can be reused

What else?
                       - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

Date:
> > I'm still holding back PREPARE for ecpg until I can think of a
> > good solution. The best of course would be in the backend.
>
> So what would it take to do this in the backend? I think the places
> which would need to be touched fall into areas I either know about or am
> starting to look at to implement the CASE clause.
>
> We'd need:
>   - a "named buffer" (or several) to hold the intermediate input

portals

>   - a way to pass in parameters or substitution arguments

SQL functions?

>   - a way to decide if previous parser/planner/executor
>     results can be reused

Pennsylvania19026

CORBAservices (was RE: [HACKERS] PREPARE)

From
"Taral"
Date:
[ Cross-post to pgsql-interfaces ]

> BTW, what does CORBA prescribe about transactions (if anything) ?
>
> Is the current transaction model adequate or do we need nested
> transactions ?

The Query Service is read-only, so does not have locking or transactions...
We will have to implement the Transaction Service...

Current service list for our implementation: (in order of importance)

Naming Service (provided by most 2.2 ORBs)
LifeCycle Service (provided by mico) (dependent on NS)
Query Service
Security Service
ConcurrencyControl Service
Transaction Service (dependent on CCS)
Relationship Service (provided by mico)

(Not sure about the ordering of the last few...)

As you can see, this is a non-trivial list of interfaces :)

Taral

RE: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
"Taral"
Date:
> Is the current transaction model adequate or do we need nested
> transactions ?

Err... I didn't answer your question, did I? The COS Transaction Service
implements nested transactions.

Taral

RE: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
"Taral"
Date:
> > Is the current transaction model adequate or do we need nested
> > transactions ?
>
> Err... I didn't answer your question, did I? The COS Transaction Service
> implements nested transactions.

Aha... finally found the line I was looking for:

"An implementation of the Transaction Service is not required to support
nested transactions."

Taral

Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
Peter T Mount
Date:
On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 02:19:32PM -0600, Taral wrote:
> > separate stages. Are we also planning to support PREPARE? If so, we should
> > co-ordinate the effort, since the full COSQS support will require pulling
> > apart pg_parse_and_plan().
>
> Hopefully. I'm still holding back PREPARE for ecpg until I can think of a
> good solution. The best of course would be in the backend. Hmm, how do ODBC
> and JDBC solve this?

Background:

JDBC has a class called PrepareStatement. It's created by the
prepareStatement() method in the Connection class. The statement passed to
it has each required parameter represented by a ?

insert into mytable (field1,field2,field3) values (?,?,?);

Now the current postgresql jdbc implementation stores this string, and has
a Vector (Java for a dynamic array) that has each value stored in it as
the client application sets them. When the client calls the
executeUpdate() or executeQuery() methods, we just replace the ?'s with
the values in sequence, and pass the query to the backend as normal.

It's a real botch, but it works.

Date:
On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 01:45:19PM +0000, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> So what would it take to do this in the backend? I think the places
> which would need to be touched fall into areas I either know about or am
> starting to look at to implement the CASE clause.
>
> We'd need:
>   - a "named buffer" (or several) to hold the intermediate input

I didn't get this one completly. What input do you mean?

>   - a way to pass in parameters or substitution arguments

Yes. That means changing of declare cursor as well.

>   - a way to decide if previous parser/planner/executor
>     results can be reused

Yes.

> What else?

Running planner on the statement as it is without the variables to be
substituted. So execution of declare gets faster.

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Manager of the Western Branch Office, Datenrevision GmbH
work: Cuxhavener Str. 36, D-21149 Hamburg
home: Th.-Heuss-Str. 61,  D-41812 Erkelenz, Michael.Meskes@usa.net
Go SF49ers! Go Rhein Fire! Use Debian GNU/Linux!

Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
David Hartwig

Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 02:19:32PM -0600, Taral wrote:
> > separate stages. Are we also planning to support PREPARE? If so, we should
> > co-ordinate the effort, since the full COSQS support will require pulling
> > apart pg_parse_and_plan().
>
> Hopefully. I'm still holding back PREPARE for ecpg until I can think of a
> good solution. The best of course would be in the backend. Hmm, how do ODBC
> and JDBC solve this?

Speaking for ODBC, we keep the PREPARE'd statement in a malloc'ed buffer in the
driver.   The fun part is that we must support a set of  API calls which request
things like the number of parameters, and result set, column info.   We get the
parameter count by simply counting the parameter markers.   To get the column
info, we send the statement to the backend, retrieve the column info and discard
any returned rows.   Not very elegant nor inefficient.  But it works ok.

This functionality should be handled by the backend.    May I suggest a protocol
that will allow this typical interchange.

send PREPARE(statement)
receive stmt_handle

send GET_PARAM_COUNT(stmt_handle)
receive param_count
for i = 1 to param_count   send DESCRIBE_PARAMETER(stmt_handle, i);     -- include: type, nullability,
scale, & precision   receive parameter description.
end for

send GET_COLUMN_COUNT(stmt_handle);
receive column_count
for i = 1 to column_count   send DESCRIBE_COLUMN(stmt_handle, i);           -- included: tablename,
column name, column alias, type, nullability, scale & precision   receive column description.
end for

-- There are other column info attributes worth sending such as:    owner,
searchable, signed/unsigned, updateable, case sensitive &  autoincrement
-- I will be quite content if we get the main ones specified above.

for n set of parameters   for i = 1 to param_count       send PUT_DATA(stmt_handle, i, param_data[i])   end for   send
EXECUTE(stmt_handle)  receive result set

end for

send FREE(stmt_handle)

Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Date:
> >   - a "named buffer" (or several) to hold the intermediate input
> I didn't get this one completly. What input do you mean?

Just the original string/query to be prepared...
                - Tom

Re: [INTERFACES] RE: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
tolik@icomm.ru (Anatoly K. Lasareff)
Date:

 >> > Is the current transaction model adequate or do we need nested
 >> > transactions ?
 >>
 >> Err... I didn't answer your question, did I? The COS Transaction Service
 >> implements nested transactions.

 T> Aha... finally found the line I was looking for:

 T> "An implementation of the Transaction Service is not required to support
 T> nested transactions."

To my mind there are _no_ nested transactions in Postgres.

--
Anatoly K. Lasareff              Email:       tolik@icomm.ru
Senior programmer

Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 03:23:30AM +0000, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> > I didn't get this one completly. What input do you mean?
>
> Just the original string/query to be prepared...

I see. But wouldn't it be more useful to preprocess the query and store the
resulting nodes instead? We don't want to parse the statement everytime a
variable binding comes in.

Michael
--

Date:
On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 06:40:01PM +0000, Peter T Mount wrote:
> it has each required parameter represented by a ?
>
> insert into mytable (field1,field2,field3) values (?,?,?);
>
> Now the current postgresql jdbc implementation stores this string, and has
> a Vector (Java for a dynamic array) that has each value stored in it as
> the client application sets them. When the client calls the
> executeUpdate() or executeQuery() methods, we just replace the ?'s with
> the values in sequence, and pass the query to the backend as normal.

That's exactly what I wanted to use for ecpg. But I guess I postpone it just
a little more. :-)

Michael
--

jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Date:
Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 03:23:30AM +0000, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> > > I didn't get this one completly. What input do you mean?
> >
> > Just the original string/query to be prepared...
>
> I see. But wouldn't it be more useful to preprocess the query and store the
> resulting nodes instead? We don't want to parse the statement everytime a
> variable binding comes in.

    Right.  A real improvement would only be to have the prepared
    execution plan in the backend and just giving  the  parameter
    values.

    I can think of the following construct:

        PREPARE optimizable-statement;

    That one will run parser/rewrite/planner, create a new memory
    context with a unique identifier and  saves  the  querytree's
    and  plan's  in  it.   Parameter values are identified by the
    usual $n notation. The command returns the identifier.

        EXECUTE QUERY identifier [value [, ...]];

    then get's back the prepared plan and querytree  by  the  id,
    creates  an  executor  context  with  the given values in the
    parameter array and calls ExecutorRun() for them.

    The PREPARE needs to analyze the resulting parsetrees to  get
    the  datatypes  (and maybe atttypmod's) of the parameters, so
    EXECUTE QUERY can convert the values into Datum's  using  the
    types  input  functions.  And  the  EXECUTE has to be handled
    special in tcop (it's something between a regular  query  and
    an utility statement). But it's not too hard to implement.

    Finally a

        FORGET QUERY identifier;

    (don't  remember  how  the  others  named it) will remove the
    prepared plan etc. simply by destroying  the  memory  context
    and dropping the identifier from the id->mcontext+prepareinfo
    mapping.

    This all  restricts  the  usage  of  PREPARE  to  optimizable
    statements.  Is  it  required  to  be able to prepare utility
    statements (like CREATE TABLE or so) too?

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
"Thomas G. Lockhart"
Date:
> But wouldn't it be more useful to preprocess the query and store the
> resulting nodes instead? We don't want to parse the statement
> everytime a variable binding comes in.

Sure. Sorry I wasn't being very specific. Also, whoever implements it
gets to do it either way at first :)

btw, I'm buried in trying to get a CASE statement to work, so am not
volunteering for this one...
                    - Tom

Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 03:32:54AM +0000, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> Sure. Sorry I wasn't being very specific. Also, whoever implements it
> gets to do it either way at first :)

:-)

> btw, I'm buried in trying to get a CASE statement to work, so am not
> volunteering for this one...

Now I get depressed. :-)

Hopefully someone finds time for this. I don't know the internals enough and
probably will be short on time too as I change jobs yet again.

Michael