9.1 replication on different arch

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
I have two servers, one a x86 32bit server, and the other one is a x86
64 bit server.

We want to use synchronous replication and make the 32 bit be a master
and the 64bit be a read-only stand-by.

Do I have to install 32bit postgresql on the 64bit server to be able
to use wal replication?

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: 9.1 replication on different arch

From
Adam Cornett

I have two servers, one a x86 32bit server, and the other one is a x86
64 bit server.

We want to use synchronous replication and make the 32 bit be a master
and the 64bit be a read-only stand-by.

Do I have to install 32bit postgresql on the 64bit server to be able
to use wal replication?

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Native replication is only available on systems with the same architecture, so the short answer is no.

But I'm pretty sure you can still use other replication tools like Slony or Bucardo, although neither is synchronous.

-Adam

Re: 9.1 replication on different arch

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
Don't worry, they are both x86 arch, so I'll just install 32bit
postgresql on the 64 bit server. That should make it work, right?

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: 9.1 replication on different arch

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 11/02/11 11:21 AM, Martín Marqués wrote:
> Don't worry, they are both x86 arch, so I'll just install 32bit
> postgresql on the 64 bit server. That should make it work, right?

yes, that should work fine.

Date:
2011/11/2 John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>:
> On 11/02/11 11:21 AM, Martín Marqués wrote:
>>
>> Don't worry, they are both x86 arch, so I'll just install 32bit
>> postgresql on the 64 bit server. That should make it work, right?
>
> yes, that should work fine.

Sad thing is that it's not so easy on Debian. With Fedora all I had to
do is select the arch type and that's all.

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: 9.1 replication on different arch

From
Rodrigo Gonzalez
Date:
El 02/11/11 22:40, Martín Marqués escribió:
> 2011/11/2 John R Pierce<pierce@hogranch.com>:
>> On 11/02/11 11:21 AM, Martín Marqués wrote:
>>> Don't worry, they are both x86 arch, so I'll just install 32bit
>>> postgresql on the 64 bit server. That should make it work, right?
>> yes, that should work fine.
> Sad thing is that it's not so easy on Debian. With Fedora all I had to
> do is select the arch type and that's all.

I am not completely sure about this....but you should be able to use
dpkg --force-architecture to install it

Re: 9.1 replication on different arch

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
El día 3 de noviembre de 2011 09:18, Rodrigo Gonzalez
<rjgonzale@estrads.com.ar> escribió:
> El 02/11/11 22:40, Martín Marqués escribió:

>>> yes, that should work fine.
>>
>> Sad thing is that it's not so easy on Debian. With Fedora all I had to
>> do is select the arch type and that's all.
>>
> I am not completely sure about this....but you should be able to use dpkg
> --force-architecture to install it

Yes, but I would have to download the postgresql-9.1 for i386 package
and all the dependencies.

With Fedora, all I do is:

# yum install portgresql-server.i386

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: 9.1 replication on different arch

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On ons, 2011-11-02 at 22:40 -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> 2011/11/2 John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>:
> > On 11/02/11 11:21 AM, Martín Marqués wrote:
> >>
> >> Don't worry, they are both x86 arch, so I'll just install 32bit
> >> postgresql on the 64 bit server. That should make it work, right?
> >
> > yes, that should work fine.
>
> Sad thing is that it's not so easy on Debian. With Fedora all I had to
> do is select the arch type and that's all.

Put it in a chroot.

Re: 9.1 replication on different arch

From
Hannes Erven
Date:
Am 2011-11-03 02:40, schrieb Martín Marqués:

> Sad thing is that it's not so easy on Debian. With Fedora all I had to
> do is select the arch type and that's all.

Have a look at "dpkg --force-architecture" .

    -hannes

Date:
2011/11/4 Hannes Erven <h.e@gmx.at>:
> Am 2011-11-03 02:40, schrieb Martín Marqués:
>>
>> Sad thing is that it's not so easy on Debian. With Fedora all I had to
>> do is select the arch type and that's all.
>
> Have a look at "dpkg --force-architecture" .

I'm having a lot of trouble with this. The server has an application
written in perl, which connects to the master PG server.

The thing is that perl needs libdbd-pg-perl to connect, which needs
libpq5, all this in amd64, but the i386 of postgresql-9.1 needs an
i386 version of libpq5 (which debian doesn't distinguish between
packages of different archs), and I can't install both versions.

What a mess!

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: 9.1 replication on different arch

From
Hannes Erven
Date:
2011-11-04 16:24, Martín Marqués:
>> Have a look at "dpkg --force-architecture" .
>
> The thing is that perl needs libdbd-pg-perl to connect, which needs
> libpq5, all this in amd64, but the i386 of postgresql-9.1 needs an
> i386 version of libpq5

Oh, I see, that's a mess. Probably there really isn't a way to solve
this... maybe you could do a parallel install of a complete 32bit Perl?
Or run your Perl app on a different machine?

In my case, I forced a 32bit libpq5 onto the system, which is required
for the postgresql-client to work, which in turn is used by the init
scripts to detect successful starting. But I don't need DBD and thus do
not have other depencies on libpq...

-hanney

Re: 9.1 replication on different arch

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
2011/11/4 Hannes Erven <h.e@gmx.at>:
> 2011-11-04 16:24, Martín Marqués:
>>> Have a look at "dpkg --force-architecture" .
>>
>> The thing is that perl needs libdbd-pg-perl to connect, which needs
>> libpq5, all this in amd64, but the i386 of postgresql-9.1 needs an
>> i386 version of libpq5
>
> Oh, I see, that's a mess. Probably there really isn't a way to solve
> this... maybe you could do a parallel install of a complete 32bit Perl?
> Or run your Perl app on a different machine?
>
> In my case, I forced a 32bit libpq5 onto the system, which is required
> for the postgresql-client to work, which in turn is used by the init
> scripts to detect successful starting. But I don't need DBD and thus do
> not have other depencies on libpq...

I'd install postgresql in a 32 bit VM then.

Re: 9.1 replication on different arch

From
Martín Marqués
Date:
El día 4 de noviembre de 2011 13:15, Scott Marlowe
<scott.marlowe@gmail.com> escribió:

> I'd install postgresql in a 32 bit VM then.

We're looking into it. Look's like the only option available for now,
at least for using WAL replication.