Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
Toby Corkindale
Date:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/release-9-1.html
contains the line:
"Release Date: 2011-09-12"

*bounces excitedly*

Has the release candidate gone final today?

-Toby

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:10, Toby Corkindale
<toby.corkindale@strategicdata.com.au> wrote:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/release-9-1.html
> contains the line:
> "Release Date: 2011-09-12"
>
> *bounces excitedly*
>
> Has the release candidate gone final today?

Not yet. But we are planning to put it out, and we need to load the
website documentation ahead of time.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:40, Gavin Flower
<GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> On 12/09/11 20:31, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:10, Toby Corkindale
>> <toby.corkindale@strategicdata.com.au>  wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/release-9-1.html
>>> contains the line:
>>> "Release Date: 2011-09-12"
>>>
>>> *bounces excitedly*
>>>
>>> Has the release candidate gone final today?
>>
>> Not yet. But we are planning to put it out, and we need to load the
>> website documentation ahead of time.
>>
> Then how come was put on the download page over 24 hours ago?

We always put the files up on the ftpsite some time ahead to make sure
it hits all the mirrors. It's not officially released (and guaranteed)
until you see the announcement.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:50, Gavin Flower
<GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
> On 12/09/11 20:44, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:40, Gavin Flower
>> <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>  wrote:

>>> Then how come was put on the download page over 24 hours ago?
>>
>> We always put the files up on the ftpsite some time ahead to make sure
>> it hits all the mirrors. It's not officially released (and guaranteed)
>> until you see the announcement.
>>
> So there is a probability (presumably very small) that the source may change
> - if a significant problem is discoved late in the process, but one that can
> be quickly fixed?

Yes.

> More interesting: how likely is the source to change, and what are the
> general guidelines associated with such a change?

It has happened once or twice in the past, but very seldom. What
happens is the version is removed again, a fix is applied, and a
re-release is done with a new version number.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 12/09/11 20:44, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:40, Gavin Flower
> <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>  wrote:
>> On 12/09/11 20:31, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Not yet. But we are planning to put it out, and we need to load the
>>> website documentation ahead of time.
>>>
>> Then how come was put on the download page over 24 hours ago?
> We always put the files up on the ftpsite some time ahead to make sure
> it hits all the mirrors. It's not officially released (and guaranteed)
> until you see the announcement.

So there is a probability (presumably very small) that the source may
change - if a significant problem is discoved late in the process, but
one that can be quickly fixed?

More interesting: how likely is the source to change, and what are the
general guidelines associated with such a change?

Cheers,
Gavin

Date:
On 12/09/11 20:31, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:10, Toby Corkindale
> <toby.corkindale@strategicdata.com.au>  wrote:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/release-9-1.html
>> contains the line:
>> "Release Date: 2011-09-12"
>>
>> *bounces excitedly*
>>
>> Has the release candidate gone final today?
> Not yet. But we are planning to put it out, and we need to load the
> website documentation ahead of time.

Then how come was put on the download page over 24 hours ago?

I already have it installed!

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 20:40 +1200, Gavin Flower wrote:
> > Not yet. But we are planning to put it out, and we need to load the
> > website documentation ahead of time.
> >
> Then how come was put on the download page over 24 hours ago?
>
> I already have it installed!

PostgreSQL source code ships with no warranty ;)
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Monday, September 12, 2011 1:50:24 am Gavin Flower wrote:

> So there is a probability (presumably very small) that the source may
> change - if a significant problem is discoved late in the process, but
> one that can be quickly fixed?

It has been officially released per announcement on
pgsql-announce.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Date:
On 13/09/11 01:58, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 20:40 +1200, Gavin Flower wrote:
>>> Not yet. But we are planning to put it out, and we need to load the
>>> website documentation ahead of time.
>>>
>> Then how come was put on the download page over 24 hours ago?
>>
>> I already have it installed!
> PostgreSQL source code ships with no warranty ;)

You mean I don't get my money back if I don't like it???  :-)

Date:
On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 02:04 +1200, Gavin Flower wrote:

> > PostgreSQL source code ships with no warranty ;)
>
> You mean I don't get my money back if I don't like it???  :-)

:)

FWIW, 9.1.0 was just officially announced. Enjoy!
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
Aleksey Tsalolikhin
Date:
Congratulations on the release of 9.1.0!

Lots of great features, I for one can't wait to try out unlogged
tables, that should help a lot in our environment.

Now that you have streaming replication both async and sync, are you
working on multi-master replication?  *excited*  Or what's the
roadmap?

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Aleksey

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
Venkat Balaji
Date:
Yes. I would be excited to know if there is a possibility of multi-master replication system on Postgres.

We will be soon using 9.1 Streaming replication.

Thanks
Venkat

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:31 AM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli.tech@gmail.com> wrote:
Congratulations on the release of 9.1.0!

Lots of great features, I for one can't wait to try out unlogged
tables, that should help a lot in our environment.

Now that you have streaming replication both async and sync, are you
working on multi-master replication?  *excited*  Or what's the
roadmap?

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Aleksey

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
Leonardo Carneiro
Date:
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Venkat Balaji <venkat.balaji@verse.in> wrote:
Yes. I would be excited to know if there is a possibility of multi-master replication system on Postgres.

We will be soon using 9.1 Streaming replication.

Thanks
Venkat

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:31 AM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli.tech@gmail.com> wrote:
Congratulations on the release of 9.1.0!

Lots of great features, I for one can't wait to try out unlogged
tables, that should help a lot in our environment.

Now that you have streaming replication both async and sync, are you
working on multi-master replication?  *excited*  Or what's the
roadmap?

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Aleksey

There is any doc about this feature:
  • Add protocol support for sending file system backups to standby servers using the streaming replication network connection (Magnus Hagander, Heikki Linnakangas)
    This avoids the requirement of manually transferring a file system backup when setting up a standby server.
?

It's a very, VERY welcome feature. Tks to all developers, testers and other people involved in the great software.

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 09/12/11 1:01 PM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
> Now that you have streaming replication both async and sync, are you
> working on multi-master replication?

general case multimaster replication is extremely hard to do 'right'.
all solutions compromise data integrity and/or create huge performance
bottlenecks.

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 09/13/2011 04:01 AM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
> Congratulations on the release of 9.1.0!
>
> Lots of great features, I for one can't wait to try out unlogged
> tables, that should help a lot in our environment.
>
> Now that you have streaming replication both async and sync, are you
> working on multi-master replication?  *excited*  Or what's the
> roadmap?

I haven't heard anything about multimaster, but if you're interested,
search the archives of the pgsql-hackers mailing list for discussions on it.

Personally I can't see SR being helpful as the base of an MM
implementation; it's totally reliant on the idea of one server being the
source of all WAL data. I suspect that MM would have to be a completely
different affair. I know a lot of people are dubious about MM because of
its inherent performance limitations and the difficulty of getting it to
be both correct and even vaguely fast-ish. You need shared storage or
some protocol for doing I/O via other masters; you need a network
locking protocol that handles the numerous kinds of locking required and
somehow does it fast, etc. The network locking protocol alone would be a
major effort, especially as you'd want to do optimistic locking where
possible. That's where transactions don't block, instead they fail on
commit if a conflicting transaction already committed.

Personally I'm vaguely interested in the idea of selective replication,
where some tables or databases can be omitted from replication (or even
sent to a different replication client) but still WAL-logged and
crash-safe on the master. Doing this with tablespace granularity would
possibly make sense. Pg already stores heap data as individual files,
one or more per index/table/etc, so if it could split WAL-logging out
into per-tablespace logs then some clients could elect not to carry some
tablespaces, and they could be treated as unlogged tables on that client.

That said, "vaguely interested in" means I haven't the time to even
begin learning the appropriate parts of the codebase, nor the enthusiasm
for it. I don't need the feature and don't even use SR, I just know some
others would benefit from it and have seen requests for selective
replication here before.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Has Pg 9.1.0 been released today?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 09/13/2011 06:43 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> On 09/13/2011 04:01 AM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
>> Congratulations on the release of 9.1.0!
>>
>> Lots of great features, I for one can't wait to try out unlogged
>> tables, that should help a lot in our environment.
>>
>> Now that you have streaming replication both async and sync, are you
>> working on multi-master replication? *excited* Or what's the
>> roadmap?

I would take a look at postgres-r. It is under active and supported
development.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579