Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Elliot Chance
Date:
On 20/11/2010, at 11:52 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 12:26, Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Oh, I assumed that - you're missing my point.
>>>
>>> The point is this:
>>> Assume John Doe posts something to the list. I am reading this, and
>>> want to use "alvaros suggestion" for doing a direct response. So I
>>> click the link that was in the email. *I* am not registrered in the
>>> forums. How do I respond to his post in a safe way?
>>
>> You are registered in the forum already (it does this automatically), you simply reply on the mailing list as you
havealways done. If you feel the sudden urge to only reply via the forum then simply use the recover password to login
andreply from there.

> I can't do that, since all email is sent from the same address. How
> will the forum software know which person I was trying to respond to?

One very annoying thing about Apple Mail with these lists is that when I hit reply if I don't change the To address to
themailing list or manually add the Cc then it doesn't even get sent to the mailing list. I wouldn't be surprised if a
lotof my posts have disappeared like that.

When you reply to an email you send it to the person your replying to and Cc the mailing list. When I send to to
mailinglist I direct my actual To address to the mailing list, i'm not sending these replies to any particular person.

The parser script doesn't care who the email comes from or is going to because it uses the in-reply-to field to match
upthe threads. So this means when you hit reply your email program will say something like this:
To: Elliot Chance <forums@postgresql.com.au>
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org

Whenthe mailing list gets its copy it sends a copy to the forum (because the forum is just like a subscribed user), the
parserthen dissects the headers to find out where the post belongs. We already know this part works.

>>> Yeah, that's the part that needs to be added to it. But I don't see
>>> any reason that shouldn't be fairly simple - you probably just need to
>>> include a set nomail command as well.
>>
>> Using nomail still requires you to confirm your email address (I know because i've tried it.) If there were a magic
valueyou could pass then it would defeat the purpose of having email confirmations and people would just write scripts
tocheat it - like I want to do.

> Uh, no. Not when you're accessing the interface with the proper
> password (one that has permissions to do admin actions on the list).
> The code in that example does not require confirmation for the
> subscriptions. It does, I think, send out the "welcome to the xyz
> list" mail, but that should also be easily scriptable away.

Theres no way I'm relying on the fact that every person that signs up to the forums will be informed enough to realise
thatthe forum is more-or-less just a front for the mailing list. If I signed up to a forum and got and email saying
"welcometo the mailing list" I would think "Um, I didn't sign up to this" and unsubscribe. Now all my posts will be
rejectedby the mailing list and my posts will goto thin air without me ever knowing.

>>> Yes. For example, when on a plane or somewhere where the cell coverage is bad.
>>
>> Like I explained this is no problem. After all you still get the same problems with a pure mailing list. For example
ifsomeone posted the question "How do I insert records?" and your on a plane typing "Use INSERT ....." but before your
planelands someone else has already responded to the person. Your email will still be sent so that the person gets two
answers.Just like the persons email program will rank the answers by timestamp so will posts to the forum.

> You are still not understanding the problem. Since I *don't have the
> users email address*, I can't send it the normal way. I have nowhere
> to send it.

Explained above, your not sending it to the person your sending it back to the mailing list. I know this works because
I'vebeen testing it with my own address like a dummy mailing list.

>>> I think you're again missing that this was a comment to Alvaros
>>> suggestion, which was the "have a link at the bottom of the email
>>> going back to the forums".
>>>
>>> And you're also missing the fact that I'm talking about doing a
>>> private response to the person who posted it, not a general
>>> to-the-list response.
>>
>> Forums and mailing lists have the same functionality they just do the same things different ways. If you want to use
themailing list you have to use it like a mailing list, if you want to use the forum then you have to use it like a
forum.

>> If John Doe signs up to the forum he is expecting the forum to work like a forum. When his answer is posted to the
forumthread he will be notified. If in rare cases someone needs to send him a private message or email they can still
doso through those features provided inside the forum software.

> So again, you're either not understanding the problem, or deliberately
> avoiding it.
>
> John Doe posts something to the forum.
> I read this
> I want to respond to John Doe.

If you want to respond you use the Reply button.

> There is no way for me to reach John Doe at this point. I can reach
> the mailinglist. But I don't want to reach the mailinglist, I want to
> reach John Done.

If you want to personally reach John Doe you can use either the PM or email system in the forum - and you know how to
reachhim by his name. And perhaps a URL at the bottom of the email. If you just want to reply to him then i've explain
thatabove.

> How do I access the forums private message feature, since I'm not
> registered in the forum software?

Again, you are registered, you have a password but you'l have to recover it the first time to be able to login to the
forumto send PMs/emails etc.

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 14:22, Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/11/2010, at 11:52 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> You are registered in the forum already (it does this automatically), you simply reply on the mailing list as you
havealways done. If you feel the sudden urge to only reply via the forum then simply use the recover password to login
andreply from there.

>> I can't do that, since all email is sent from the same address. How
>> will the forum software know which person I was trying to respond to?
>
> One very annoying thing about Apple Mail with these lists is that when I hit reply if I don't change the To address
tothe mailing list or manually add the Cc then it doesn't even get sent to the mailing list. I wouldn't be surprised if
alot of my posts have disappeared like that.

Use "Reply To All" when you want to send to the list. It's what
everybody else has been doing for ages :-) If you want to read up on
the bike-shedding that goes behind that preference, it is something
that comes up regularly - just search the archives.

Whenthe mailing list gets its copy it sends a copy to the forum (because the forum is just like a subscribed user), the
parserthen dissects the headers to find out where the post belongs. We already know this part works.

So how does one respond to the user?

>>> Using nomail still requires you to confirm your email address (I know because i've tried it.) If there were a magic
valueyou could pass then it would defeat the purpose of having email confirmations and people would just write scripts
tocheat it - like I want to do.

>> Uh, no. Not when you're accessing the interface with the proper
>> password (one that has permissions to do admin actions on the list).
>> The code in that example does not require confirmation for the
>> subscriptions. It does, I think, send out the "welcome to the xyz
>> list" mail, but that should also be easily scriptable away.
>
> Theres no way I'm relying on the fact that every person that signs up to the forums will be informed enough to
realisethat the forum is more-or-less just a front for the mailing list. If I signed up to a forum and got and email
saying"welcome to the mailing list" I would think "Um, I didn't sign up to this" and unsubscribe. Now all my posts will
berejected by the mailing list and my posts will goto thin air without me ever knowing.

Like I said, "that should also be easily scriptable away". Yes, it
will take more than zero seconds of work to look into how to do it.

>> You are still not understanding the problem. Since I *don't have the
>> users email address*, I can't send it the normal way. I have nowhere
>> to send it.
>
> Explained above, your not sending it to the person your sending it back to the mailing list. I know this works
becauseI've been testing it with my own address like a dummy mailing list.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record.. I don't *WANT* to send
it to the list, in this scenario. I want to send it to the *person*.

>>> Forums and mailing lists have the same functionality they just do the same things different ways. If you want to
usethe mailing list you have to use it like a mailing list, if you want to use the forum then you have to use it like a
forum.

>>> If John Doe signs up to the forum he is expecting the forum to work like a forum. When his answer is posted to the
forumthread he will be notified. If in rare cases someone needs to send him a private message or email they can still
doso through those features provided inside the forum software.

>> So again, you're either not understanding the problem, or deliberately
>> avoiding it.
>>
>> John Doe posts something to the forum.
>> I read this
>> I want to respond to John Doe.
>
> If you want to respond you use the Reply button.

But that email goes to forum@postgresql.com.au. Which you said above
is a black hole. How do I get it to John?

>> There is no way for me to reach John Doe at this point. I can reach
>> the mailinglist. But I don't want to reach the mailinglist, I want to
>> reach John Done.
>
> If you want to personally reach John Doe you can use either the PM or email system in the forum - and you know how to
reachhim by his name. And perhaps a URL at the bottom of the email. If you just want to reply to him then i've explain
thatabove.

But I'm not *on* the forum, I'm using the mailinglist.

The URL at the bottom is an acceptable solution, if you can make it
work transparently. I just don't understand how you can do that -
since I haven't signed up, I don't have a password.And you can't
encode it in the URL, because it goes into public archives... So how
would that URL *work*?

>> How do I access the forums private message feature, since I'm not
>> registered in the forum software?
>
> Again, you are registered, you have a password but you'l have to recover it the first time to be able to login to the
forumto send PMs/emails etc.

So basically, I can't respond to posts made from the forum then,
because having to go through such a cycle is certainly broken enough
that I would never use it.

Based on that, I'm back to saying that the email has to be generated
from a valid email address, that can be used for return traffic.
Whether it's the users original address or a forum-specific one is a
different question, but a blackhole catch-all one just won't do.

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Elliot Chance
Date:
Using the reply to all, thanks.

On 21/11/2010, at 12:32 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 14:22, Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> wrote:

havealways done. If you feel the sudden urge to only reply via the forum then simply use the recover password to login
andreply from there.

>>> I can't do that, since all email is sent from the same address. How
>>> will the forum software know which person I was trying to respond to?
>>
>> One very annoying thing about Apple Mail with these lists is that when I hit reply if I don't change the To address
tothe mailing list or manually add the Cc then it doesn't even get sent to the mailing list. I wouldn't be surprised if
alot of my posts have disappeared like that.

> Use "Reply To All" when you want to send to the list. It's what
> everybody else has been doing for ages :-) If you want to read up on
> the bike-shedding that goes behind that preference, it is something
> that comes up regularly - just search the archives.

Whenthe mailing list gets its copy it sends a copy to the forum (because the forum is just like a subscribed user), the
parserthen dissects the headers to find out where the post belongs. We already know this part works.

> So how does one respond to the user?

I can't explain it any clearer, your email response goes to the mailing list and that mailing list sends a copy to the
originalperson thats how a mailing list works. It also sends a copy to the forum which is parses you and that person
andanyone else can see the reply on the forum.

magicvalue you could pass then it would defeat the purpose of having email confirmations and people would just write
scriptsto cheat it - like I want to do.

>>> Uh, no. Not when you're accessing the interface with the proper
>>> password (one that has permissions to do admin actions on the list).
>>> The code in that example does not require confirmation for the
>>> subscriptions. It does, I think, send out the "welcome to the xyz
>>> list" mail, but that should also be easily scriptable away.
>>
>> Theres no way I'm relying on the fact that every person that signs up to the forums will be informed enough to
realisethat the forum is more-or-less just a front for the mailing list. If I signed up to a forum and got and email
saying"welcome to the mailing list" I would think "Um, I didn't sign up to this" and unsubscribe. Now all my posts will
berejected by the mailing list and my posts will goto thin air without me ever knowing.

> Like I said, "that should also be easily scriptable away". Yes, it
> will take more than zero seconds of work to look into how to do it.

As theres no way or checking the subscription status of an address I would have to subscribe them every post. And i'm
surethey would get really annoyed when every they unsubscribe from the mailing list and make a post on the forum they
keepgetting "welcome to the mailing list" emails.

>>> You are still not understanding the problem. Since I *don't have the
>>> users email address*, I can't send it the normal way. I have nowhere
>>> to send it.
>>
>> Explained above, your not sending it to the person your sending it back to the mailing list. I know this works
becauseI've been testing it with my own address like a dummy mailing list.

> At the risk of sounding like a broken record.. I don't *WANT* to send
> it to the list, in this scenario. I want to send it to the *person*.

Theres only two possible scenarios;
1. The person is signed up to the mailing list, in which case they will get your reply when its passed through the
mailinglist like they should.
2. The person signed up to the forum and not the mailing list, in which case they will get an email from the forum
saying"JohnDoe has replied to your post..."

Either way they will get your response.

usethe mailing list you have to use it like a mailing list, if you want to use the forum then you have to use it like a
forum.

forumthread he will be notified. If in rare cases someone needs to send him a private message or email they can still
doso through those features provided inside the forum software.

>>> So again, you're either not understanding the problem, or deliberately
>>> avoiding it.
>>>
>>> John Doe posts something to the forum.
>>> I read this
>>> I want to respond to John Doe.
>>
>> If you want to respond you use the Reply button.
>
> But that email goes to forum@postgresql.com.au. Which you said above
> is a black hole. How do I get it to John?
>

>>> There is no way for me to reach John Doe at this point. I can reach
>>> the mailinglist. But I don't want to reach the mailinglist, I want to
>>> reach John Done.
>>
>> If you want to personally reach John Doe you can use either the PM or email system in the forum - and you know how
toreach him by his name. And perhaps a URL at the bottom of the email. If you just want to reply to him then i've
explainthat above.

> But I'm not *on* the forum, I'm using the mailinglist.
>
> The URL at the bottom is an acceptable solution, if you can make it
> work transparently. I just don't understand how you can do that -
> since I haven't signed up, I don't have a password.And you can't
> encode it in the URL, because it goes into public archives... So how
> would that URL *work*?

This is your forum account http://forums.postgresql.com.au/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=101

Anyone that posts to the mailing list becomes a member of the forum so that their emails can be used as posts otherwise
therewould be one giant MailingList user that has 99%+ of the forum posts which is a terrible idea.

>>> How do I access the forums private message feature, since I'm not
>>> registered in the forum software?
>>
>> Again, you are registered, you have a password but you'l have to recover it the first time to be able to login to
theforum to send PMs/emails etc.

> So basically, I can't respond to posts made from the forum then,
> because having to go through such a cycle is certainly broken enough
> that I would never use it.
>
> Based on that, I'm back to saying that the email has to be generated
> from a valid email address, that can be used for return traffic.
> Whether it's the users original address or a forum-specific one is a
> different question, but a blackhole catch-all one just won't do.

Nothings changed if you wish to continue using the mailing lists.

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 14:46, Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> wrote:
copy.When the mailing list gets its copy it sends a copy to the forum (because the forum is just like a subscribed
user),the parser then dissects the headers to find out where the post belongs. We already know this part works.

>> So how does one respond to the user?
>
> I can't explain it any clearer, your email response goes to the mailing list and that mailing list sends a copy to
theoriginal person thats how a mailing list works. It also sends a copy to the forum which is parses you and that
personand anyone else can see the reply on the forum.

Clearly you're not understanding my point. I don't *want* it to go to
the list. I want to write a private email to the user who made a post
from the forum, without having to set up and use a forum account. Just
a simple response, just the way I can do now.

But I'll leave it to somebody else to attempt to explain that, since I
clearly am unable to get it across.

>>> Theres no way I'm relying on the fact that every person that signs up to the forums will be informed enough to
realisethat the forum is more-or-less just a front for the mailing list. If I signed up to a forum and got and email
saying"welcome to the mailing list" I would think "Um, I didn't sign up to this" and unsubscribe. Now all my posts will
berejected by the mailing list and my posts will goto thin air without me ever knowing.

>> Like I said, "that should also be easily scriptable away". Yes, it
>> will take more than zero seconds of work to look into how to do it.
>
> As theres no way or checking the subscription status of an address I would have to subscribe them every post. And i'm
surethey would get really annoyed when every they unsubscribe from the mailing list and make a post on the forum they
keepgetting "welcome to the mailing list" emails.

Sure there is. If you looked at the script I sent, you would notice it
does just that - checks if a user is already subscribed, and
subscribes him/her if not on there only.

And you're still stuck on the "keep getting the welcome mail", even
though I've told you several times that I'm certain you can make it
work without having it send that out.

Again, I give up. It can be done, but clearly I can't explain it in a
way that you can understand. Hopefully somebody else can understand
what I'm saying and explain it further.

>>> Explained above, your not sending it to the person your sending it back to the mailing list. I know this works
becauseI've been testing it with my own address like a dummy mailing list.

>> At the risk of sounding like a broken record.. I don't *WANT* to send
>> it to the list, in this scenario. I want to send it to the *person*.
>
> Theres only two possible scenarios;
> 1. The person is signed up to the mailing list, in which case they will get your reply when its passed through the
mailinglist like they should.

Seriously? Please read what I wrote. Or at least try.

I am NOT SENDING IT TO THE LIST.

I am sending it DIRECTLY TO THE PERSON.

Or rather, I'm trying, but it goes to forum@, which is a blackhole
that throws it away.

That shall, again,  be my last attempt. But solving the problem is a
*requirement*, so hopefully someone can explain it better.

>>> If you want to personally reach John Doe you can use either the PM or email system in the forum - and you know how
toreach him by his name. And perhaps a URL at the bottom of the email. If you just want to reply to him then i've
explainthat above.

>> But I'm not *on* the forum, I'm using the mailinglist.
>>
>> The URL at the bottom is an acceptable solution, if you can make it
>> work transparently. I just don't understand how you can do that -
>> since I haven't signed up, I don't have a password.And you can't
>> encode it in the URL, because it goes into public archives... So how
>> would that URL *work*?
>>

> This is your forum account http://forums.postgresql.com.au/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=101
>
> Anyone that posts to the mailing list becomes a member of the forum so that their emails can be used as posts
otherwisethere would be one giant MailingList user that has 99%+ of the forum posts which is a terrible idea.

I can't use it, because I don't have my password. And I need to be
able to contact people via email, since *my* interface is email.

(And yes, single account is a terrible idea, I totally agree with that)

>>> Again, you are registered, you have a password but you'l have to recover it the first time to be able to login to
theforum to send PMs/emails etc.

>> So basically, I can't respond to posts made from the forum then,
>> because having to go through such a cycle is certainly broken enough
>> that I would never use it.
>>
>> Based on that, I'm back to saying that the email has to be generated
>> from a valid email address, that can be used for return traffic.
>> Whether it's the users original address or a forum-specific one is a
>> different question, but a blackhole catch-all one just won't do.
>>

> Nothings changed if you wish to continue using the mailing lists.

Except I can no longer respond to people in private, which is a
feature I (and many others) use extensively.

Anyway, I've tried and repeatedly failed to explain what the
requirements that I put up there are. I know others have understood
them (from offlist conversations), so I leave it to somebody else to
take over if this is going to ever get to completion, since we seem to
just be talking past each other.

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 14:46, Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> wrote:
copy.When the mailing list gets its copy it sends a copy to the forum (because the forum is just like a subscribed
user),the parser then dissects the headers to find out where the post belongs. We already know this part works.

> >> So how does one respond to the user?
> >
> > I can't explain it any clearer, your email response goes to the mailing list and that mailing list sends a copy to
theoriginal person thats how a mailing list works. It also sends a copy to the forum which is parses you and that
personand anyone else can see the reply on the forum.

> Clearly you're not understanding my point. I don't *want* it to go to
> the list. I want to write a private email to the user who made a post
> from the forum, without having to set up and use a forum account. Just
> a simple response, just the way I can do now.
>
> But I'll leave it to somebody else to attempt to explain that, since I
> clearly am unable to get it across.

I would argue that if the person wants to use a forum, aren't they
saying they don't want to be contacted via email.  I think we just throw
it only to the forum (that is the user) and leave it that.  Forum users
don't get the _rich_ email experience.  ;-)

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Trevor Talbot
Date:
On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 05:46, Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/11/2010, at 12:32 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 14:22, Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Use "Reply To All" when you want to send to the list. It's what
>> everybody else has been doing for ages :-) If you want to read up on
>> the bike-shedding that goes behind that preference, it is something
>> that comes up regularly - just search the archives.

copy.When the mailing list gets its copy it sends a copy to the forum (because the forum is just like a subscribed
user),the parser then dissects the headers to find out where the post belongs. We already know this part works.

>> So how does one respond to the user?

> I can't explain it any clearer, your email response goes to the mailing list and that mailing list sends a copy to
theoriginal person thats how a mailing list works. It also sends a copy to the forum which is parses you and that
personand anyone else can see the reply on the forum.

Elliot, Magnus wants forum->list email to come from a per-user address
so that when he replies directly to that address (without sending it
to the list), the response is mapped to a PM.

Magnus, I see a couple issues with that:
1 - Conventionally, private messages are not used quite that often in
forums. They are truly separate from public discussion, not a natural
part of it by virtue of being the same ultimate message destination.
2 - Since Reply to All is a convention on this list, the forum needs
to deal with that somehow. Both a private and public response
containing the same content is unacceptable for forums. The public
response is always preferred and can't be integrated later, such as in
the common "solution" of having the list software not send a copy when
it detects a person's address already in the address list.

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Nov 20, 2010, at 8:22 , Elliot Chance wrote:

> One very annoying thing about Apple Mail with these lists is that when I hit reply if I don't change the To address
tothe mailing list or manually add the Cc then it doesn't even get sent to the mailing list.

Use Reply to All: Cmd-Shift-R.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Alban Hertroys
Date:
On 21 Nov 2010, at 24:17, Trevor Talbot wrote:

>> I can't explain it any clearer, your email response goes to the mailing list and that mailing list sends a copy to
theoriginal person thats how a mailing list works. It also sends a copy to the forum which is parses you and that
personand anyone else can see the reply on the forum.

> Elliot, Magnus wants forum->list email to come from a per-user address
> so that when he replies directly to that address (without sending it
> to the list), the response is mapped to a PM.

Actually, I think that's only your approach to a possible solution to achieve what he wants?

I'm not one of the people who've been communicating off-list about this with him, so I may be wrong, but to my
understandingwhat Magnus wants (the requirement, not a solution to it) is this:

- Person A is on the forums and sends a message that ends up on the ML (and on the forums, naturally).
- Someone on the ML, Person B, sends him a _private_ reply, not intended to end up in either the ML or the forums.
- The message goes to the forum software and is passed on to Person A, and does _not_ end up on the forums or the ML.

I do see a difficulty here; if the forum software is only subscribed with one e-mail address, how is it going to
distinguishbetween a reply-all and a private reply?
Maybe it would help to subscribe it using two or three addresses, so that you can see if both (or at least two out of
three)addresses got the reply, or only one?

I'm pretty sure the end result that Magnus (and me, and probably many more on this ML) intends is a forum layer that is
_transparent_to the list.
We're not going to change our habits because there's suddenly a forum connected to our ML, you need to be able to and
willingto deal with that or you're not up to this project.

Personally I'm not particularly pleased with your choice of PhpBB, it's got a few dark areas in its history - they seem
moreconcerned with skins than with security (Plus, it's written in PHP, which is a mess), so forgive me for being a bit
skeptic.

Solving the issue is a different matter. Giving every forum poster their own e-mail address is a possible solution. I
thinkthat subscribing the forum with a few e-mail addresses is another, and that will also give you redundancy in case
oneof those addresses encounters a problem.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4ce9194510421646015157!

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Trevor Talbot
Date:
On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 05:04, Alban Hertroys
<dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2010, at 24:17, Trevor Talbot wrote:

>> Elliot, Magnus wants forum->list email to come from a per-user address
>> so that when he replies directly to that address (without sending it
>> to the list), the response is mapped to a PM.

> Actually, I think that's only your approach to a possible solution to achieve what he wants?

I was simply trying to "translate" the issues between the two
environments, as it were. A per-user email address is what Magnus
requested:

>>> Based on that, I'm back to saying that the email has to be generated
>>> from a valid email address, that can be used for return traffic.
>>> Whether it's the users original address or a forum-specific one is a
>>> different question, but a blackhole catch-all one just won't do.

> I do see a difficulty here; if the forum software is only subscribed with one e-mail address, how is it going to
distinguishbetween a reply-all and a private reply?
> Maybe it would help to subscribe it using two or three addresses, so that you can see if both (or at least two out of
three)addresses got the reply, or only one?

Once the forum software determines an incoming email is meant to be a
private message, how would it determine which user it is meant for?

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Stuart McGraw
Date:
On 11/21/2010 06:04 AM, Alban Hertroys wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2010, at 24:17, Trevor Talbot wrote:
>
>>> I can't explain it any clearer, your email response goes to the mailing list and that mailing list sends a copy to
theoriginal person thats how a mailing list works. It also sends a copy to the forum which is parses you and that
personand anyone else can see the reply on the forum.

>> Elliot, Magnus wants forum->list email to come from a per-user address
>> so that when he replies directly to that address (without sending it
>> to the list), the response is mapped to a PM.
>
> Actually, I think that's only your approach to a possible solution to achieve what he wants?
>
> I'm not one of the people who've been communicating off-list about this with him, so I may be wrong, but to my
understandingwhat Magnus wants (the requirement, not a solution to it) is this:

> - Person A is on the forums and sends a message that ends up on the ML (and on the forums, naturally).
> - Someone on the ML, Person B, sends him a _private_ reply, not intended to end up in either the ML or the forums.
> - The message goes to the forum software and is passed on to Person A, and does _not_ end up on the forums or the ML.

I rarely use forums (I access most MLs via Gmane, NNTP and a newsreader
which is *the* right way to do it :-) but ISTM insisting that a ML user *must*
be able to send a private message to a forum user, should not only not be a
show-stopper, but could be construed as a misfeature.  Forums and MLs have
different features which is why some people prefer one over the other.  A
feature forums have is that the user community is somewhat restricted compared
to a ML -- people who can send me PMs are limited to other forums users that
have been validated (to a forum-dependent extent) by the forum operators.
I may not want anyone who can get a ML reply address off the internet to
send me a PM.  If you need to send me a PM but can't be bothered to register
on the PG forum to do so (just as you would have to on any other forum) then
one has to question the use of the word, "need".

I also note that even on the ML, you have no *right* to reply in private to
me.  Not on the PG list but on many others I subscribe with a temporary or
unmonitored mailbox and read messages via NNTP or Google or whatever.  I have
a personal policy (which is a convention on many lists) that replies to public
messages should be public -- if you really need to contact me privately, say
so in your public reply and I will figure out a way to make it happen.  It is
an extremely rare need in my experience.  And if it is important to you that
people be able to respond privately to you, then your choice is clear -- use
the ML.  So demanding that the forum *must* provide a way for a mailing user
to send private replies to forum users strikes me as more obstructionist than
helpful.

Do some of the people insisting on private email replies have some official
role in the PG mailing lists?  Perhaps some of this is just a plain old-
fashioned turf battle?

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

Date:
Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> writes:
> I'm not one of the people who've been communicating off-list about this with him, so I may be wrong, but to my
understandingwhat Magnus wants (the requirement, not a solution to it) is this:

> - Person A is on the forums and sends a message that ends up on the ML (and on the forums, naturally).
> - Someone on the ML, Person B, sends him a _private_ reply, not intended to end up in either the ML or the forums.
> - The message goes to the forum software and is passed on to Person A, and does _not_ end up on the forums or the ML.

I tend to agree with Bruce that that's not necessarily a hard
requirement: a person who's using the forums to post has more or less
disclaimed interest in getting private email, no?

But what I think we *do* need to worry about is that someone using the
mailing lists might try to send what they *think* is a private reply.
We need to be sure that a reply-to-sender-only operation does not end up
getting splattered across the forums and/or lists.  Maybe bouncing it is
sufficient, in which case ML posts originating from forum users don't
have to carry a working From: address.

What I'm more concerned about myself is that forum users be
identifiable.  We don't allow anonymous trolls on the mailing lists,
and I'm not pleased at the idea that a forum might provide an end-run
around that.  I don't necessarily think that every posting has to
carry a working From: address to meet that requirement, though.
A forum handle of some sort would probably be sufficient.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Alban Hertroys
Date:
On 21 Nov 2010, at 16:16, Trevor Talbot wrote:
>> I do see a difficulty here; if the forum software is only subscribed with one e-mail address, how is it going to
distinguishbetween a reply-all and a private reply?
>> Maybe it would help to subscribe it using two or three addresses, so that you can see if both (or at least two out
ofthree) addresses got the reply, or only one?

> Once the forum software determines an incoming email is meant to be a
> private message, how would it determine which user it is meant for?

I don't expect the forum software to post the message anonymously to the ML. It wouldn't be difficult to at least
includethe username (as used on the forum) in the message body, and perhaps work that into the message headers, in such
away that that information can be obtained from a reply to the message.

Of course, the way e-mail works, there's not much guarantee that anything but the original senders' e-mail address is
preserved,but such cases can be detected and be acted upon - although probably not entirely transparently
For example, receiving a message that a recipient could not be reached from the recipient itself - the global forum
useraccount - would seem a bit odd. It's not that different from receiving a mail from a mail-server that a recipient
couldnot be found though, except that the error isn't with the address, but with related headers or the message body.

You can reach the user, but it probably can not be guaranteed 100%.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4ce93e6810421257911754!

Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 18:12, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> writes:
>> I'm not one of the people who've been communicating off-list about this with him, so I may be wrong, but to my
understandingwhat Magnus wants (the requirement, not a solution to it) is this:

>> - Person A is on the forums and sends a message that ends up on the ML (and on the forums, naturally).
>> - Someone on the ML, Person B, sends him a _private_ reply, not intended to end up in either the ML or the forums.
>> - The message goes to the forum software and is passed on to Person A, and does _not_ end up on the forums or the
ML.

> I tend to agree with Bruce that that's not necessarily a hard
> requirement: a person who's using the forums to post has more or less
> disclaimed interest in getting private email, no?
>
> But what I think we *do* need to worry about is that someone using the
> mailing lists might try to send what they *think* is a private reply.
> We need to be sure that a reply-to-sender-only operation does not end up
> getting splattered across the forums and/or lists.  Maybe bouncing it is
> sufficient, in which case ML posts originating from forum users don't
> have to carry a working From: address.

Depends on your definitoin of working From. I think they need to carry
a working From, from the perspective of SMTP, because otherwise they
run a higher risk of getting eaten by anti-spam.

That From doesn't necessarily need to go to the user - if it goes to
something that does a "controlled bounce" informing the original
poster, that should still work.

> What I'm more concerned about myself is that forum users be
> identifiable.  We don't allow anonymous trolls on the mailing lists,
> and I'm not pleased at the idea that a forum might provide an end-run
> around that.  I don't necessarily think that every posting has to
> carry a working From: address to meet that requirement, though.
> A forum handle of some sort would probably be sufficient.

The forum is, AIUI, requiring a validated registration, so we know
that it's not just a completely unidentified person. I assume the
forum will be putting the registered *name* in the name part of the
From field still, even if it uses a shared address.