From Trevor Talbot
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 05:04, Alban Hertroys
<dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2010, at 24:17, Trevor Talbot wrote:

>> Elliot, Magnus wants forum->list email to come from a per-user address
>> so that when he replies directly to that address (without sending it
>> to the list), the response is mapped to a PM.

> Actually, I think that's only your approach to a possible solution to achieve what he wants?

I was simply trying to "translate" the issues between the two
environments, as it were. A per-user email address is what Magnus
requested:

>>> Based on that, I'm back to saying that the email has to be generated
>>> from a valid email address, that can be used for return traffic.
>>> Whether it's the users original address or a forum-specific one is a
>>> different question, but a blackhole catch-all one just won't do.

> I do see a difficulty here; if the forum software is only subscribed with one e-mail address, how is it going to
distinguishbetween a reply-all and a private reply?
> Maybe it would help to subscribe it using two or three addresses, so that you can see if both (or at least two out of
three)addresses got the reply, or only one?

Once the forum software determines an incoming email is meant to be a
private message, how would it determine which user it is meant for?