PostgreSQL 9.0 - support for RANGE value PRECEDING window functions

From
Daniel Scott
Date:
Hi,

I have a question about a feature in PostgreSQL 9.0.

I am looking for support for windowing functions when using: RANGE
BETWEEN <value> PRECEDING/FOLLOWING AND <value>
PRECEDING/FOLLOWING

The latest documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-expressions.html#SYNTAX-WINDOW-FUNCTIONS

Says "The value PRECEDING and value FOLLOWING cases are currently only
allowed in ROWS mode."

However, I have found this post:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/e08cc0400912310149me7150cek3c9aa92e4d396ac3@mail.gmail.com

Which appears to provide a patch supporting: "- allow all of RANGE
BETWEEN <value> PRECEDING/FOLLOWING AND <value>
PRECEDING/FOLLOWING". However, I cannot find any further information
related to this feature.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this feature will be available in
PostgreSQL 9.0?

Thanks,

Dan Scott

Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 - support for RANGE value PRECEDING window functions

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Daniel Scott's message of lun may 10 13:20:06 -0400 2010:

> Says "The value PRECEDING and value FOLLOWING cases are currently only
> allowed in ROWS mode."
>
> However, I have found this post:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/e08cc0400912310149me7150cek3c9aa92e4d396ac3@mail.gmail.com
>
> Which appears to provide a patch supporting: "- allow all of RANGE
> BETWEEN <value> PRECEDING/FOLLOWING AND <value>
> PRECEDING/FOLLOWING". However, I cannot find any further information
> related to this feature.

It was ripped out of the patch before commit because the implementation was not
acceptable.

> Can anyone confirm whether or not this feature will be available in
> PostgreSQL 9.0?

No.
--

Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 - support for RANGE value PRECEDING window functions

From
Daniel Scott
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 13:35, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> It was ripped out of the patch before commit because the implementation was not
> acceptable.

That's strange - the CommitFest says that it was committed and I can't
find any mention of it being removed. Is there somewhere I can see a
discussion of this?

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view?id=5

Also, the documentation

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-expressions.html#SYNTAX-WINDOW-FUNCTIONS

shows:

[ RANGE | ROWS ] BETWEEN frame_start AND frame_end

Can you point me to the right place for getting this changed to remove
"RANGE". Maybe the developer mailing list?

Thanks,

Dan Scott

Daniel Scott <djscott@mit.edu> writes:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 13:35, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>> It was ripped out of the patch before commit because the implementation was not
>> acceptable.

> That's strange - the CommitFest says that it was committed and I can't
> find any mention of it being removed. Is there somewhere I can see a
> discussion of this?

Look into the pgsql-hackers thread about it.  (The commitfest notes are
not meant to be a complete record of the mailing list discussions.)
I think the relevant part starts here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-02/msg00540.php

> Also, the documentation
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-expressions.html#SYNTAX-WINDOW-FUNCTIONS
> shows:
> [ RANGE | ROWS ] BETWEEN frame_start AND frame_end
> Can you point me to the right place for getting this changed to remove
> "RANGE". Maybe the developer mailing list?

There's nothing to remove there, since RANGE is in fact valid with many
of the alternatives for frame_start and frame_end.  It would be very
awkward to try to show this limitation as part of the syntax diagram,
so it's just specified in the text.

            regards, tom lane