Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 - support for RANGE value PRECEDING window functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 - support for RANGE value PRECEDING window functions
Date
List pgsql-general
Daniel Scott <djscott@mit.edu> writes:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 13:35, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>> It was ripped out of the patch before commit because the implementation was not
>> acceptable.

> That's strange - the CommitFest says that it was committed and I can't
> find any mention of it being removed. Is there somewhere I can see a
> discussion of this?

Look into the pgsql-hackers thread about it.  (The commitfest notes are
not meant to be a complete record of the mailing list discussions.)
I think the relevant part starts here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-02/msg00540.php

> Also, the documentation
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-expressions.html#SYNTAX-WINDOW-FUNCTIONS
> shows:
> [ RANGE | ROWS ] BETWEEN frame_start AND frame_end
> Can you point me to the right place for getting this changed to remove
> "RANGE". Maybe the developer mailing list?

There's nothing to remove there, since RANGE is in fact valid with many
of the alternatives for frame_start and frame_end.  It would be very
awkward to try to show this limitation as part of the syntax diagram,
so it's just specified in the text.

            regards, tom lane