Postgresql

From
André Silva
Date:
Hi
I've installed the postgresql in my computer but i've forgotten my password.
i've tried everything, i've been in your page that requires a e-mail to send information to reset the password but i never get the e-mail so far.(http://www.postgresql.org/community/lostpwd)
i've tried to make a new username but the ones that i've tried already exist.
What can i do? format my pc?
tell me something because i really need this

Best regards
André Silva

Re: Postgresql

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 12/03/2009 16:51, André Silva wrote:

> I've installed the postgresql in my computer but i've forgotten my
> password.

Do you mean the password for the super-user account in PostgreSQL itself
(usually "postgres")? - or the password for the user account on the
machine under which PostgreSQL runs?

If it's the password for the PG superuser, and assuming that you've only
just installed PG and have no databases yet that you want to keep, you
could just scrub the installation and start again; do an initdb, or if
you're on Windows, uninstall and reinstall.

If you need to keep your installation, you could try what was suggested
in this post:

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-12/msg00700.php

If it's the user account password, a privileged user can reset it...what
OS are you on?

> i've tried everything, i've been in your page that requires a e-mail
> to send information to reset the password but i never get the e-mail
> so far.(http://www.postgresql.org/community/lostpwd)

That's not what you need - that's for community accounts which let you
do stuff on the the PostgreSQL website, wiki, etc.

> i've tried to
> make a new username but the ones that i've tried already exist. What
> can i do? format my pc?

Ouch! Definitely not that! :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Postgresql

From
Guy Rouillier
Date:
André Silva wrote:
> Hi
> I've installed the postgresql in my computer but i've forgotten my password.
> i've tried everything, i've been in your page that requires a e-mail to
> send information to reset the password but i never get the e-mail so
> far.(http://www.postgresql.org/community/lostpwd)
> i've tried to make a new username but the ones that i've tried already
> exist.
> What can i do? format my pc?
> tell me something because i really need this

Well, you certainly don't need to reformat your PC.  You didn't provide
much information that would enable people to help you, such as the
version of PostgreSQL, what if any customization you have already done,
if you've put things in your database you need access to, etc.  In the
absence of all that, probably the quickest way for you to get access to
a database would be to simply create a new one.

A more descriptive subject to your emails would also encourage people to
respond.

--
Guy Rouillier

Re: Postgresql

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
André Silva <cevola@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I've installed the postgresql in my computer but i've forgotten my password.
> i've tried everything, i've been in your page that requires a e-mail to send

What have you tried exactly? And what error-messages you got?

> information to reset the password but i never get the e-mail so far.(http://
> www.postgresql.org/community/lostpwd)

This is for the email-list, not for the access to your db...

> i've tried to make a new username but the ones that i've tried already exist.
> What can i do? format my pc?

Depends.

> tell me something because i really need this

You can change (edit) your pg_hba.conf, setting the auth-method to
trust. But this is only a guess, because i don't know what you have
tried exactly and i don't know the error-message you got, never even
your operating system...

Andreas

Re: Postgresql

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Andreas Kretschmer wrote:

>> I've installed the postgresql in my computer but i've forgotten my password.
>> i've tried everything, i've been in your page that requires a e-mail to send

>> i've tried to make a new username but the ones that i've tried already exist.
>> What can i do? format my pc?
>
> Depends.

   If the OP is running linux (or a *BSD), he can su to root and replace the
password for the preferred user (postgres, probably). The passwd program
will allow this. If the machine runs Microsoft, I've no idea at all since we
don't use any of that.

Rich

Re: Postgresql

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 12/03/2009 19:56, Rich Shepard wrote:

> will allow this. If the machine runs Microsoft, I've no idea at all

Start Menu
  -> Administrative Tools
    -> Computer Management
      -> Local Users & Groups
        -> Users

...then right-click on the user, and select "Set password".

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Postgresql

From
John R Pierce
Date:
Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 12/03/2009 19:56, Rich Shepard wrote:
>

>> will allow this. If the machine runs Microsoft, I've no idea at all
>>

> Start Menu
>   -> Administrative Tools
>     -> Computer Management
>       -> Local Users & Groups
>         -> Users
>
> ...then right-click on the user, and select "Set password".

or, at a Windows command line prompt,  (of course, replacing newpassword
with whatever random password you chose)

    C:\>  net user postgres newpassword

then make sure the pgsql-8.3 (or whatever) service descriptor is using
this same password...

    C:\> net user postgres newpassword
    The command completed successfully.

    C:\> sc config pgsql-8.3 password= mumba$$
    [SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS

    C:\> net start pgsql-8.3
    The PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 service is starting.
    The PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 service was started successfully.

(note on the SC CONFIG command, the spacing is critical on that
password= ... there's no space before the = and there must be a space
after it, quirky little thing)