Re: Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/03/2009 16:51, André Silva wrote:

> I've installed the postgresql in my computer but i've forgotten my
> password.

Do you mean the password for the super-user account in PostgreSQL itself
(usually "postgres")? - or the password for the user account on the
machine under which PostgreSQL runs?

If it's the password for the PG superuser, and assuming that you've only
just installed PG and have no databases yet that you want to keep, you
could just scrub the installation and start again; do an initdb, or if
you're on Windows, uninstall and reinstall.

If you need to keep your installation, you could try what was suggested
in this post:

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-12/msg00700.php

If it's the user account password, a privileged user can reset it...what
OS are you on?

> i've tried everything, i've been in your page that requires a e-mail
> to send information to reset the password but i never get the e-mail
> so far.(http://www.postgresql.org/community/lostpwd)

That's not what you need - that's for community accounts which let you
do stuff on the the PostgreSQL website, wiki, etc.

> i've tried to
> make a new username but the ones that i've tried already exist. What
> can i do? format my pc?

Ouch! Definitely not that! :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie