POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
Hello,

I have been looking into getting some woman-sized PostgreSQL shirts,
in addition to the more typical men-sized tshirts. The particular
style is American Apparel shirts, style # 2102. They are "normal
looking" t-shirts, just proportioned a bit more correctly for a
woman's body. The shirt says 'PostgreSQL' in small print on the front,
and has the big elephant logo on the back. We'll most likely ask for a
$20 donation to the PostgreSQL non-profit for each shirt.

So, I'm conducting a small poll:

If you are interested in a woman-sized shirt, please EMAIL ME DIRECTLY
with a quantity, and size (XS, S, M, L, XL). If you would not wear a
PostgreSQL woman-sized shirt yourself, please consider whether you
would maybe get one as a gift for someone else this holiday season :)

I would be overjoyed to have my mailbox clogged with requests, so
please don't be shy!

Your email will not be considered an official order request - I'm just
trying to get a feel for the numbers. Also, feel free to forward this
to anyone you think might be interested.

Thanks!
--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group

Re: POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
Richard Broersma Jr
Date:
--- On Wed, 11/21/07, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been looking into getting some woman-sized
> PostgreSQL shirts,
> in addition to the more typical men-sized tshirts. The

Later on, would you consider doing this again for men and women sized polo shirts?

I've already purchased one a while back from a business that must have gone out of business because they are no longer
sellingthese shirts.  I liked the XL shirt that I bought in every way except I that I think that the manufactures in
Mexicomust have different standards on shirt sizes than the US.  It seems sized like a medium to large and it fits me
likea glove. But there is a plus side to its sizing, I never need to iron out the wrinkles to give it that nice pressed
look.:o)

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:47:00 -0800 (PST)
Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Wed, 11/21/07, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been looking into getting some woman-sized
> > PostgreSQL shirts,
> > in addition to the more typical men-sized tshirts. The
>
> Later on, would you consider doing this again for men and women sized
> polo shirts?
>
> I've already purchased one a while back from a business that must
> have gone out of business because they are no longer selling these
> shirts.  I liked the XL shirt that I bought in every way except I
> that I think that the manufactures in Mexico must have different
> standards on shirt sizes than the US.  It seems sized like a medium
> to large and it fits me like a glove. But there is a plus side to its
> sizing, I never need to iron out the wrinkles to give it that nice
> pressed look. :o)

We have considered getting Polos as well as normal shirts. The normal
shirts are your basic 6.1 oz 100% cotton. No iron required, heavy
enough to hide the extra we all get once we get over 30. The main issue
with polo's is that they are expensive (comparatively) and thus we need
to see a real desire for them.

I have deferred the ladies shirts decision to Selena for what I feel
are obvious reasons.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards,
> Richard Broersma Jr.
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 6: explain analyze is your
> friend

- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> We have considered getting Polos as well as normal shirts. The normal
> shirts are your basic 6.1 oz 100% cotton. No iron required, heavy
> enough to hide the extra we all get once we get over 30. The main issue
> with polo's is that they are expensive (comparatively) and thus we need
> to see a real desire for them.

I've got a real desire for a PG polo. :)  One which I could wear to work
(business casual or whatever) would seriously rock.  I have no idea
who my work got their polos through but they're quite decent and would
be happy to find out, if it'd help. :)

    Thanks!

        Stephen

Attachment

Date:
--- On Wed, 11/21/07, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> I've got a real desire for a PG polo. :)  One which I could wear to work
> (business casual or whatever) would seriously rock.

That's what I like to do.  The dress-code in the industry that I work is to wear collared shirts. And having a
PostgreSQLpolo shirt to wear certainly gives PostgreSQL a looks very professional "look" in the work place.  Wearing
theshirt that I have at the work place and at client facilities has started several conversations about what PostgreSQL
isand how it can be used.

I personally wouldn't even mind having a PG polo that has 3rd part vendor logos on the sleeves if that would help make
PGpolo shirts available.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Date:
Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> --- On Wed, 11/21/07, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> I've got a real desire for a PG polo. :)  One which I could wear to work
>> (business casual or whatever) would seriously rock.
>
> That's what I like to do.  The dress-code in the industry that I work is to wear collared shirts. And having a
PostgreSQLpolo shirt to wear certainly gives PostgreSQL a looks very professional "look" in the work place.  Wearing
theshirt that I have at the work place and at client facilities has started several conversations about what PostgreSQL
isand how it can be used.

> I personally wouldn't even mind having a PG polo that has 3rd part vendor logos on the sleeves if that would help
makePG polo shirts available.

O.k., o.k. :) I will look into costs.

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards,
> Richard Broersma Jr.

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
brian
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> We have considered getting Polos as well as normal shirts. The normal
> shirts are your basic 6.1 oz 100% cotton. No iron required, heavy
> enough to hide the extra we all get once we get over 30. The main issue
> with polo's is that they are expensive (comparatively) and thus we need
> to see a real desire for them.

Joshua, I went to the PG site to get a look at the shirts. A search of
the site shows a couple of comments by yourself mentioning that the
shirts can be ordered from www.sourcewear.com (though this was in '04).
The others concern the Italian PG group. Unfortunately, sourcewear's
server seems to be configured with Indexes off but no DirectoryIndex.
And google is showing an awful lot of comments from very unsatisfied
customers.

So, um, where can we see the shirts? Are they still sold through
sourcewear? Are they still in business?

brian

brian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> We have considered getting Polos as well as normal shirts. The normal
>> shirts are your basic 6.1 oz 100% cotton. No iron required, heavy
>> enough to hide the extra we all get once we get over 30. The main issue
>> with polo's is that they are expensive (comparatively) and thus we need
>> to see a real desire for them.
>>

> Joshua, I went to the PG site to get a look at the shirts. A search of
> the site shows a couple of comments by yourself mentioning that the
> shirts can be ordered from www.sourcewear.com (though this was in '04).
> The others concern the Italian PG group. Unfortunately, sourcewear's
> server seems to be configured with Indexes off but no DirectoryIndex.
> And google is showing an awful lot of comments from very unsatisfied
> customers.

We don't use sourceware :).. And actually I *think* that might have been
Josh Berkus.

> So, um, where can we see the shirts?

We do not yet have a "store" although it has been something of interest
in the past. We usually order them in bulk and then request donations
for them at the conferences and shows.

Note :) If you register for East you get a shirt.

  Are they still sold through
> sourcewear? Are they still in business?

No and No.

Joshua D. Drake

> brian

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
Paul Lambert
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> We do not yet have a "store" although it has been something of interest
> in the past. We usually order them in bulk and then request donations
> for them at the conferences and shows.
>
> Note :) If you register for East you get a shirt.

What if we register and don't show up... do we still get the shirt? :)

I'd definitely like some PG shirts, polo and tee.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator

Date:
Paul Lambert wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> We do not yet have a "store" although it has been something of
>> interest in the past. We usually order them in bulk and then request
>> donations for them at the conferences and shows.
>>
>> Note :) If you register for East you get a shirt.
>>

> What if we register and don't show up... do we still get the shirt? :)
>
> I'd definitely like some PG shirts, polo and tee.

O.k. :) I will arrange for a way to get them online. Let me get through
thanksgiving.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Nov 22, 2007 1:02 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Paul Lambert wrote:
> > I'd definitely like some PG shirts, polo and tee.
>
> O.k. :) I will arrange for a way to get them online. Let me get through
> thanksgiving.

Just adding one more request for the polo shirt.  L or XL if they run small.

Re: POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 01:34 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Just adding one more request for the polo shirt.  L or XL if they run
> small.

+ some XXL please. :)
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
Owen Hartnett
Date:
At 3:30 PM -0800 11/21/07, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have been looking into getting some woman-sized PostgreSQL shirts,
>in addition to the more typical men-sized tshirts. The particular
>style is American Apparel shirts, style # 2102. They are "normal
>looking" t-shirts, just proportioned a bit more correctly for a
>woman's body. The shirt says 'PostgreSQL' in small print on the front,
>and has the big elephant logo on the back. We'll most likely ask for a
>$20 donation to the PostgreSQL non-profit for each shirt.
>
>So, I'm conducting a small poll:
>
>If you are interested in a woman-sized shirt, please EMAIL ME DIRECTLY
>with a quantity, and size (XS, S, M, L, XL). If you would not wear a
>PostgreSQL woman-sized shirt yourself, please consider whether you
>would maybe get one as a gift for someone else this holiday season :)

In answer to your query, I believe the following SQL would do it:

Select count(*), size from postgresqlusers
where gender = 'female' or hasFemaleAcquaintance group by size;

If this doesn't work, what version are you using?

Oh....you're running a POLL!  Never mind.

-Owen

Re: POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake escribió:
> Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
>> --- On Wed, 11/21/07, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>>> I've got a real desire for a PG polo. :)  One which I could wear to
>>> work (business casual or whatever) would seriously rock.
>>
>> That's what I like to do.  The dress-code in the industry that I work
>> is to wear collared shirts. And having a PostgreSQL polo shirt to
>> wear certainly gives PostgreSQL a looks very professional "look" in
>> the work place.  Wearing the shirt that I have at the work place and
>> at client facilities has started several conversations about what
>> PostgreSQL is and how it can be used.
>>
>> I personally wouldn't even mind having a PG polo that has 3rd part
>> vendor logos on the sleeves if that would help make PG polo shirts
>> available.
>
> O.k., o.k. :) I will look into costs.

Hmm, did this go anywhere?  I still look for the shiny new Pg polos on
the mail every day, only to be disappointed.

Re: POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 21:48:39 -0300
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Hmm, did this go anywhere?  I still look for the shiny new Pg polos on
> the mail every day, only to be disappointed.

Yes, they will be part of the larger run of shirts we do after SCALE.

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit

Attachment

Re: POLL: Women-sized t-shirts for PostgreSQL

From
Lincoln Yeoh
Date:
At 08:48 AM 2/9/2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>Joshua D. Drake escribió:
> > Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
>
> >> I personally wouldn't even mind having a PG polo that has 3rd part
> >> vendor logos on the sleeves if that would help make PG polo shirts
> >> available.
> >
> > O.k., o.k. :) I will look into costs.
>
>Hmm, did this go anywhere?  I still look for the shiny new Pg polos on
>the mail every day, only to be disappointed.

How about have velcro pads on the sleeves so that
you can change the vendor logos whenever
necessary, while keeping the base Postgresql?

So you can walk into some place with an IBM bunch
in the morning, then in the afternoon you can go
with a Red Hat team to another place, without
having to change your polo shirt in between :).

After all that "consulting", you might wish to
burn[1] the used shirt and get a new shirt to wear the next day...

;)

Link.

[1] Or recycle it responsibly.