Enterprise Wide Deployment

From
john_sm
Date:
Hey guys, for an enterprise wide deployment, what will you suggest and why
among - Red Hat Linux, Suse Linux and Ubuntu Linux, also, do you think, we
can negotiate the support pricing down?

Re: Enterprise Wide Deployment

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On 8/14/07, john_sm <john_smith3853@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hey guys, for an enterprise wide deployment, what will you suggest and why
> among - Red Hat Linux, Suse Linux and Ubuntu Linux, also, do you think, we
> can negotiate the support pricing down?

It's more about your skill set and familiarity than whether any one of
those will work well enough.

If you're considering Ubuntu, you should be looking at debian, the
parent distro for ubuntu.  The server version of debian is very stable
and reliable.

As for cost, Debian and Ubuntu are free, and RedHat is available for
free as either Centos or White Box, with slightly delayed updates.

I lean towards RHEL because that's what I know.

No matter what you pick, you need to test it with your setup of course.

Re: Enterprise Wide Deployment

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Enterprise Wide Deployment

From
Douglas McNaught
Date:

> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> On 8/14/07, john_sm <john_smith3853@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Hey guys, for an enterprise wide deployment, what will you suggest and why
>>> among - Red Hat Linux, Suse Linux and Ubuntu Linux, also, do you think, we
>>> can negotiate the support pricing down?
>
> I would suggest the following:
>
> If you have real in house expertise:
>
> CentOS or Debian

You can get support from HP for Debian AFAIK.

-Doug

Re: Enterprise Wide Deployment

From
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Date:
On 8/14/07, john_sm <john_smith3853@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey guys, for an enterprise wide deployment, what will you
> suggest and why among - Red Hat Linux, Suse Linux and
> Ubuntu Linux, also, do you think, we can negotiate the
> support pricing down?
For all it's worth:  my personal experiences with RH support
were shocking, to say the least, and I can't fathom why
anyone would want to pay for it.

If you have in-house linux expertise, choose whatever they're
familiar with.  If you don't - find a local company that can give
you support and use what they're familiar with.  Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Andrej

Re: Enterprise Wide Deployment

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On 8/14/07, john_sm <john_smith3853@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hey guys, for an enterprise wide deployment, what will you suggest and why
>> among - Red Hat Linux, Suse Linux and Ubuntu Linux, also, do you think, we
>> can negotiate the support pricing down?
>
> It's more about your skill set and familiarity than whether any one of
> those will work well enough.

One more consideration - consider using one of the distros supported
by your hardware vendor for your model server.   There's nothing more
frustrating than having hardware tech support point fingers at a software
vendor and software tech support point fingers at the hardware vendor.

HP supports Debian, Red Hat, and Novell, at least on servers.  I'm
not sure what they'd do if you call them about Ubuntu or CentOS.

Re: Enterprise Wide Deployment

From
Decibel!
Date:
On Aug 17, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 8/14/07, john_sm <john_smith3853@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hey guys, for an enterprise wide deployment, what will you
>> suggest and why among - Red Hat Linux, Suse Linux and
>> Ubuntu Linux, also, do you think, we can negotiate the
>> support pricing down?
> For all it's worth:  my personal experiences with RH support
> were shocking, to say the least, and I can't fathom why
> anyone would want to pay for it.
>
> If you have in-house linux expertise, choose whatever they're
> familiar with.  If you don't - find a local company that can give
> you support and use what they're familiar with.  Just my 2 cents.

While you're looking at support; I strongly recommend looking at
getting a support contract for PostgreSQL as well if you're going to
be banking your business on it. While it's pretty rare to run into
problems in production (depending on the knowledge of your staff and
the quality of your hardware), it can happen.

(Disclosure: I work for one company that provides PostgreSQL support)
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org