Re: Enterprise Wide Deployment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Decibel!
Subject Re: Enterprise Wide Deployment
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 17, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 8/14/07, john_sm <john_smith3853@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hey guys, for an enterprise wide deployment, what will you
>> suggest and why among - Red Hat Linux, Suse Linux and
>> Ubuntu Linux, also, do you think, we can negotiate the
>> support pricing down?
> For all it's worth:  my personal experiences with RH support
> were shocking, to say the least, and I can't fathom why
> anyone would want to pay for it.
>
> If you have in-house linux expertise, choose whatever they're
> familiar with.  If you don't - find a local company that can give
> you support and use what they're familiar with.  Just my 2 cents.

While you're looking at support; I strongly recommend looking at
getting a support contract for PostgreSQL as well if you're going to
be banking your business on it. While it's pretty rare to run into
problems in production (depending on the knowledge of your staff and
the quality of your hardware), it can happen.

(Disclosure: I work for one company that provides PostgreSQL support)
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org