Installation with sources or with packages

From
nuggets72@free.fr
Date:
Hello,

I need install postgresql 8.X.X on my debian host.
But someone says me I should use sources files for the install
and other one says me I should use debian package.
Does anybody have some "theory" or opinion about the installation of postgresql
by sources or debian package ?

What's the most reliable/best solution to install AND UPDATE the sgbdr during
his all life ?

thanks for your help.

Re: Installation with sources or with packages

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 01:26:07PM +0200, nuggets72@free.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need install postgresql 8.X.X on my debian host.
> But someone says me I should use sources files for the install
> and other one says me I should use debian package.
> Does anybody have some "theory" or opinion about the installation of postgresql
> by sources or debian package ?

I pretty much always install the debian package when possible, because
then I know it conforms to the rest of my system, I can install stuff
from the postgresql-contrib package, I can compile stuff against the
postgresql-dev packages and know it works... Config files in /etc/ for
example.

However, something I have done is build my own debian packages. Grab
latest source, copy debian dir over and run dpkg-buildpackage. I rarely
do this but it's a good middleway.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment

Re: Installation with sources or with packages

From
"Brandon Aiken"
Date:
I prefer Debian packages wherever possible.  That will provide you with
the easiest manageability in the long run for maintaining updates.  It's
hard to beat "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo
apt-get autoclean" as a complete patch script.

However, keep in mind that Debian Sarge (stable) is currently at
PostgreSQL 7.3.  If you're running Sarge, you'll either have to add Etch
(testing) repositories or download the PostgreSQL packages from Etch
repositories.  Since Etch is nearing release (which could mean anything
in the Debian world) I suspect you won't have any major problems even if
you do this.

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer

I need install postgresql 8.X.X on my debian host.
But someone says me I should use sources files for the install
and other one says me I should use debian package.
Does anybody have some "theory" or opinion about the installation of
postgresql
by sources or debian package ?

What's the most reliable/best solution to install AND UPDATE the sgbdr
during
his all life ?

thanks for your help.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Installation with sources or with packages

From
"Brandon Aiken"
Date:
Fair enough.  I've never done it before except with trivial things that
had no dependencies, and I just downloaded the packages with wget.

Another option would be to use Ubuntu server.  That's kinda Debian de
facto, and offers more current packages, IIRC.

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer